Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

summer pickings

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

summer pickings

Old 08-11-06, 06:18 AM
Roadie

Bikes: kestrel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
summer pickings

velonomad's pie post motivated me to submit my desert version of summer pickings:

Attachment 21837

This 4 meter high prickly pear in my front yard yields hundreds of pounds of fruit every summer and provides me with enough sweet juice to last well into winter. I remove the numerous seeds with a juice extractor and freeze the decanted juice in small plastic containers. The frozen juice is added to milk, water or soy milk with yogurt or protein powder and blended. It makes a great recovery drink and prickly pear has purported antioxidant properties. The picking and fruit cleaning is a bit prickly - but worth the discomfort.

Last edited by berts; 04-28-07 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-11-06, 06:55 AM

Bikes: '73 Schwinn Varsity, 1964 Schwinn Racer, 1954 Schwinn Jaguar, 1950's Puch Bergmeister, 1980 Schwinn High Plains, 1973 Flandria, 1980's Diamondback Sorrento, 2001 Jamis Aurora

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Grand-mother used to make Opuntia jelly and sweet pickles out of those old prickly pears. I loved eating them but always hated picking...and Dad always had the pliars with him. Good times and old memories...
Old 08-11-06, 11:04 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I have a problem with an abundance of fruit some years. Only so many apple pies can ce made before rhey get boring- but those apples have to be used before they spoil- Can any one think of an alternative to Cider? as I have been warned how dangerous it can be. Rough cider at 6% is on a par with a weak wine but doesn't feel that strong when you are drinking it. 5 pints and the vision goes and the hangovers are getting too heavy at my age.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-11-06, 11:14 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
I have a problem with an abundance of fruit some years. Only so many apple pies can ce made before rhey get boring
You'll just have to share them with friends. Have a pie eating contest. Get DG to moderate.
Old 08-11-06, 11:21 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by berts
The picking and fruit cleaning is a bit prickly - but worth the discomfort.
Ah, the times you need Elmer's glue and duct-tape. You pour on a little Elmer's where the spines are, smooth it down and let it dry completely. Then cover it with a piece of duct tape. Pull hard and all three go together. I learned this from The Living Desert.