User Tag List

My Bikes
    Bachetta Agio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you do to prepare/recover from rides

I try to ride my bike daily. Somewhere between 10 - 12 miles depending on the route, and at least once every 2 weeks try to get in a 50 mile ride (I have a down day, the day after the 50 miler). I would like to know what the rest of you do to prepare and recover from the rides. The reason I ask, is that I feel fatigued, the next day, especially in the legs. Once I get back on my bike I'm fine. Just wondering if I am missing something. I have a small helping of fruit or ceral about 20 minutes before the ride begins. I usually drink an 8 oz glass of pedialyte and have a banana, then stretch after each ride. I don't like eating "big" after any ride. If I am on a LONG ride, I have PB, H + B sandwahiches and protien bars. I take with me a mixture of Pedialyte and water (50/50).
    As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
    Joshua 24:15

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it's really critical what you do for a 'big ride," but I'll tell you what I would do for something like an 80-kilometer (50 mile) road race:

Typically, I would be putting in 300-400 km each week, with the shortest ride being 1h30 and the longest being 3h30. If you're not racing, you don't need to do this much riding; however, I do recommend making your shortest ride about 90 minutes if you want your body to take 80 km (about three hours comfortably) in stride.

If it's an "important" race, I would "taper." This means no riding three and two days before the ride, and then about an hour with a couple of hard efforts the day before.

The day before the ride, I would eat vegetarian (easier to digest - you don't want your body working hard trying to digest meat the day before a big event). Take a short, relaxed walk in the cool evening air after supper. Have lots to drink (but not alcohol, though a beer or wine is OK). You want to be hitting the bathroom at least once during the night, that's how much you need to load up on fluids. Too little fluid intake will hammer you. Also, make sure you get a good night's sleep the night before <and the night before that!> (very important!) The sleep you get two nights before is what sets you up for the ride. You can actually get very little sleep the night before the event and your body should be able to handle it. But miss the two nights before and your body will not like that.

The morning of the ride, have a large breakfast (mostly fruit and grain, but eggs are OK, and very light on the bacon or ham) about three hours before the ride. Oatmeal or granola is good, but I was never able to eat hippie rabbit food...

After the ride, drink lots, have lots of carbos during the one hour "carbo window" immediately after the ride. I like drinking Coca-Cola at this time because it's super-loaded with sugar. It's like an ergogenic aid, and it's cheaper than a recovery drink, which is basically the same thang as Coke...

If you went really hard, you won't immediately be hungry. But you will be after about two or three hours. Now you can have the steak. I usually have a bleu cheese hamburger and a salad with a pint of beer.

Hope this helps. A lot of this is personal "race secrets" I have picked up over the years.

- L.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think you would want to skip a day here and there, no riding at all to give your body a chance to recuperate. You'd be amazed how good you feel when you hop on the bike after a day of rest.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think you might want to schedule a 50 miler weekly, so it is not such a shock to your body - and it is quite natural for your body to need some rest after a longer ride. In fact, it is necessary.

I do little special before a longer ride, except not to do a longer ride the day before a longer ride.

I eat the same thing (the "hippie" oatmeal that my zombied grandpa ate when he was a math major student at the University of Minnesota in 1893 and ate everyday of his long life)

Also, you might trying changing your 10-12 milers to 20

But most of all, just have fun.

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All good advice. For me I must have at least 4-5 days of at least an hour exercise. In my case that is about 20mi. I usually do this Tues-Fri. Sat is my housework and family day so I don't ride and on Sunday I either to a 60+mi ride or a 50mi A+ group ride. Monday is another rest day. So Sunday is my big day and I rest the day before and the day after. Before I ride daily I eat a banana and maybe a granola bar for about 300 cal.and take 24oz of gatoraide. On Sunday I will eat my banana and breakfast of 300cal for a total of about 500 cal. I take (2) 24oz gatoraides and (2) 100 cal gels with me for the ride. So far this has worked well, the only time I had a major bonk on Sunday was when I did 30mi on Sat with hill intervals. In any case you need to find out what works for you are your body. Many people ride 7 days a week and do 250+ miles. I can't do that, 150mi/week is about all my body can handle right now and I really don't even feel like I want to be on the bike for more than 3.5hrs at one time anyway.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree what others have offered. Over the last 6 years I've found that resting 2 night before a big ride is critical. Finding the right foods for you the day before and morning before are critical. Eating the right foods just after a ride is critical.

In addition, what works well for me is to do a light, short ride the day after a hard or long ride. It gets more blood flowing back in the leg muscles and aids with a faster recovery. It's very important to just ride at a very moderate pace and not get the heart rate elevated........going too hard is counter productive.

My Bikes
    2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nobody has a beer after a long ride? What's the point?
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After long rides, the leg muscles feel sore but not right away. It takes a few hours for it to set in and even next morning I feel it as I climb up the stairs. So I try to massage the leg muscles usually while watching the news on T.V. before bedtime. I pay close attention to the I.T. band of muscles because for me, that's where the injuries begin.

There are days when I don't have time to ride for the hour or so for whatever reasons. So I go back to running, my first love. A 20 minute jog gets my heart rate up quicker and I seem to get a pretty good workout compared to a 1 hour ride. So on recovery days, you can run and use different muscle groups.

Nowadays I ride more than run because I'm older and I weigh more and that puts more stress on the joints.

fmw
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg
    Nobody has a beer after a long ride? What's the point?
    I do. And to prepare for a ride I finish my work for the day. I have that done so I think I'll go ride now. Ta ta.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Certain times of the year I have to put in extra training. The Sunday ride is longer and the gym sessions get progressively harder or the Midweek night rides get harder and longer. You would think that this would improve me and it does but the day after a hard session Hurts.

This normally starts in February and you would think that all this exercise and I would be used to it. I may be but the body isn't. Daft thing is on the Monday. That is the day I have stiff legs after a 50 mile offroad. I have to try and keep active on these days and although I am desk bound nowadays- I keep finding reasons to get out and check stock or walk up 3 flights of stairs or just do anything physical. If I don't, then I am still sore on Tuesday, which is when I go to the gym or night ride.

Then after the ride I train for- I cut back on the exercise but do longer rides at the weekends but still get out on the bike in the week. Then Comes November and I cut back. Then February arrives and the Pain of stiff legs start all over again. I Never learn.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Giant OCR 2, Flyte SRS 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pre ride- banana and some cereal, cup of strong coffee. 50 miles or less= a couple of gels and 2 waterbottles full of ice cold gatorade. Warmup is the first 3-4 miles easy pace 80-85 cadence then when I get going I ride between 95-105 as my natural pace.
    Longer rides are usually organized and I stop at the rest stops for banana, pbj and whatever else is available. Top off the bottles also.
    After ride I eat whatever I can find. Usually by the time I am home and showered I am really hungry.
    The next day I go for a very slow paced run between 2-3 miles or an easy ride of 10 miles just to stretch the legs a little. Then I do a good 15-20 minute stretch.
    Kenal0

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride every day. Depending on available time and location I do this:
    1) On a CycleOps FL 2 trainer for one hour at 17 MPH, sprint at >18 MPH.
    2) Go around a Park Road. Undulating at an average speed of <20 MPH for at least 50 miles.
    3) Go on limestone trails for 50 miles at least twice/week. Average speed >17 MPH.
    4) Go every month back to back centuries on limestone. 100 miles <7 hours riding.
    Recovery over 50 miles is ice-cream or milkshake immediately after ride.
    Steak and potato dinner after 100 mile ride.
    Fish and pasta after shorter ride.
    Breakfast is always Oatmeal and fruit. Lunch what is available on trail plus Trail mix.

I have been doing this for several years without problems. OH, I forgot, lots of red quality wine.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot to mention lots of water and Gatorade. About a bottle per 30 minutes.
    I do not do any stretching but use a 10-20 minute warm up at reduced speed. That means that I got to go faster later to make up lost time. This warm up is required. I got problems if I do not do it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My pre-ride routine for a 50 miler would be to drink 12 oz water, eat four fig bars. On the ride, I'll drink about 8 to 12 oz water every 40 minutes, and start using an energy drink at about mile 40. After the ride I always make sure to eat a moderate meal within an hour. I do this even if I don't feel hungry. Your body needs just as much energy to recover as it does to perform. So, eating after the ride is good. I try to stay aware from fats, but push the protien and carbs.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    Bachetta Agio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    I would think you might want to schedule a 50 miler weekly, so it is not such a shock to your body - and it is quite natural for your body to need some rest after a longer ride. In fact, it is necessary..
    Right now, thats not really possible. My work schedule really doesn't permit it, at least not until mid September. I get every other weekend off, and I have been on a grave shift since the middle of July, and won't rotate back to a day shift until the middle of September. Then I can do a long ride in the middle of the week
    I eat the same thing (the "hippie" oatmeal that my zombied grandpa ate when he was a math major student at the University of Minnesota in 1893 and ate everyday of his long life)
    Would that be Musli by another name?
    Also, you might trying changing your 10-12 milers to 20
    The 10 mile route I ride is the Highline canal trail to work. Maybe I can find a way to extend that by adding a circle route on Buckley.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would that be Musli by another name?
    Nope, it is oatmeal by any name. The slow cooked variety.

My Bikes
    Bachetta Agio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenal0
    Pre ride- banana and some cereal, cup of strong coffee. 50 miles or less= a couple of gels and 2 waterbottles full of ice cold gatorade. Warmup is the first 3-4 miles easy pace 80-85 cadence then when I get going I ride between 95-105 as my natural pace.
    I have a cadence attatchment for my computer but I haven't used it yet. I am not really sure how
    Longer rides are usually organized and I stop at the rest stops for banana, pbj and whatever else is available. Top off the bottles also..
    I don't carry bottle, I have a camelback with a 100, and 70 oz pouch. I carry everything in my backpack, or if it gets to be to much, I throw on a saddlebag.
    After ride I eat whatever I can find. Usually by the time I am home and showered I am really hungry. The next day I go for a very slow paced run between 2-3 miles or an easy ride of 10 miles just to stretch the legs a little. Then I do a good 15-20 minute stretch.
    Kenal0
    I guess I will have to include the low paced ride the day after. I can't run/jog because of back problems

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you cure post ride bonking. You know, that feling that you have been knocked flat, totally out of gas.

My Bikes
    Bachetta Agio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88
    My pre-ride routine for a 50 miler would be to drink 12 oz water, eat four fig bars.
    Those fig bars, are they "fig Newtons" or something special?
    On the ride, I'll drink about 8 to 12 oz water every 40 minutes, and start using an energy drink at about mile 40.
    My envelopes contain a mixture (50/50) of pedialyte and water.
    After the ride I always make sure to eat a moderate meal within an hour. I do this even if I don't feel hungry. Your body needs just as much energy to recover as it does to perform. So, eating after the ride is good. I try to stay aware from fats, but push the protien and carbs.
    I will incorporate some type of pasta after my rides now. I will give this a try the next chance I get.

My Bikes
    Bachetta Agio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thjank you for all the great ideas. I had forgotten about Musli and oatmeal. Although I don't have either in the house right now. I don't eat much after the ride, but I can improve that by incorporating some spagetti and meat sauce. I suppose a Sam Adams can't hurt either.