Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just want to ride....

When I think about riding my bike, I think about the feeling it gives me. I think about my ever changing ability to get the most out of myself through riding the bike. I love the way it looks and the way it feels, but mostly I just love to ride it. Knowing I can ride it means I am alive and vibrant...that I am still strong. I read the Bike Forums because I love to ride. A lot has been learned from reading here and more is still to come. Ah...and the things I don't do... I don't come here to talk politics. I don't come here to examine diminished abilities. I don't come here discuss surgeries. I don't come here to lament the decline of Western civilization. I come here because I love to ride. Here I can hear others talk about their bikes, their rides, their triumphs. Here I can read the thoughts of others who "love to ride".
    Last edited by dauphin; 08-23-06 at 12:52 PM.

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is the beauty of forums. You can decide which one you frequent and which thread you read or contribute to. I come here mainly for bike related info and mainly contribute to threads about cycling questions but I do occasionaly post on health issues and also sometime I like to get into a debate in P&R or Foo. I don't do it often but it can be fun.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dauphin
    When I think about riding my bike, I think about the feeling it gives me. I think about my ever changing ability to get the most out of myself through riding the bike. I love the way it looks and the way it feels, but mostly I just love to ride it. Knowing I can ride it means I am alive and vibrant...that I am still strong. I read the Bike Forums because I love to ride. A lot has been learned from reading here and more is still to come. Ah...and the things I don't do... I don't come here to talk politics. I don't come here to examine diminished abilities. I don't come here discuss surgeries. I don't come here to lament the decline of Western civilization. I come here because I love to ride. Here I can here others talk about their bikes, their rides, their triumphs. Here I can read the thoughts of others who "love to ride".
    Sorry to disagree.

When your "surgeries" or other health issues starts impacting your bicycling, then it is, IMHO, extremely appropriate to share your thoughts in this forum.

Factually, this will occur more and more as you get a bit older.

It is comforting and important to know you are not alone in your situation, that others share the same experiences, and can offer support and at times advice.

There will likely come a time in your life when your viewpoint changs. Wait another 15 years and see what happens in your own life.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was simply stating why I come here. I make no judgements on why others do.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dauphin
    I was simply stating why I come here. I make no judgements on why others do.

Okay.

The subject of health conditions and such has been a touchy subject, with a lot of baggage and history over the past few years in the 50+ forum - to the point of folks calling others out for even suggesting that someone over 50 might have some sort of health condition that has a mutual interest with others and that affects their bicycling.

It really doesn't become significant until it happens to you. Then, all of a sudden, it IS of interest.

My recent bout with a year of permanent/constant Atrial Fibrillation, and the steps I went through and how I resolved the issue is a case in point.

I was heavily criticized by one member for relating my journey through this condition - yet, on the other hand, I got numerous posts to the thread, emails and private mails from folks faced with a similar situation either offering suggestions or thanking me, sometimes profusely, for relating my experiences as it gave them new ideas and insights into their own condition.

And, permanent or constantly recurring AFib has a WHOLE LOT to do with biking - some folks even have to stop because of it, others (such as I) are slowed down considerably by a loss of 30% of heart capacity.

Sorry to come on so strong. It hit a nerve, and I was up almost all night with extreme pain from my seemingly never-ending acute hip bursitis and back injury.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-23-06 at 09:17 AM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    Okay.

The subject of health conditions and such has been a touchy subject, with a lot of baggage and history over the past few years in the 50+ forum - to the point of folks calling others out for even suggesting that someone over 50 might have some sort of health condition that has a mutual interest with others and that affects their bicycling.

It really doesn't become significant until it happens to you. Then, all of a sudden, it IS of interest.

My recent bout with a year of permanent/constant Atrial Fibrillation, and the steps I went through and how I resolved the issue is a case in point.

I was heavily criticized by one member for relating my journey through this condition - yet, on the other hand, I got numerous posts to the thread, emails and private mails from folks faced with a similar situation either offering suggestions or thanking me, sometimes profusely, for relating my experiences as it gave them new ideas and insights into their own condition.

And, permanent or constantly recurring AFib has a WHOLE LOT to do with biking - some folks even have to stop because of it, others (such as I) are slowed down considerably by a loss of 30% of heart capacity.

Sorry to come on so strong. It hit a nerve, and I was up almost all night with extreme pain from my seemingly never-ending acute hip bursitis and back injury.
    Don't think you are coming on strong- but this forum is for a type of rider that enjoys riding, or wants to start riding or wants to improve their riding. The mere fact that it a 50+ forum is beside the point as we can share our rides, highlights and Problems with other riders that can share and understand in a like manner. One of the problems that we all have though is age. With age comes the usual biking problems of recovery times- changing bodies that have to adapt and unfortunately a Body that is beginning to fail.

I do enjoy my riding and I enjoy conversing with others, with the same mature aspect that I have, about riding. Unfortunately it is that body that lets me down occasionally. Just by reading about a few problems riders have has helped me considerably. I did not realise that Knee pain- in front or rear of the knee- Can be caused by saddle for and aft position. Guess what I,ve got right now- A painfull knee, so I will be going back through the postings to find out what I have done wrong- Besides getting a new bike that obviously still needs setting up.

My Aching knee is not as serious as some of the problems others have- but when I start getting a more serious problem, Hopefully Some-one will be able to relate to my problem and riding and give a bit of advice or tell me to stop moaning over nothing.

As it is- Any one know how to prepare myself for a hard pie ride on the 16th september as it will be about 40 miles with a breakfast early on and a good slice of pie. Don't think I've had both on one ride.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Denver: you're right about having a place to post anything that affects, influences, helps, hurts, prevents, assists our riding. And I mean 'OUR' riding because this forum serves those who choose to participate.

Like Stapfam & many many others, I've learned a tremendous amount about the physical dimensions of riding that I wouldn't have known if others had not shared their experience.

Sorry your hip & back are still bothering you: that allnight pain is miserable. Mine comes from my teeth, not the rest of my body (yet). Hope you can find some relief soon.
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also like to "talk" about cycling. But as I rapidly approach 50 (in a couple of months) there are lots of little physical things that come up, and I like to read about and share those experiences related to cycling and health. As a long time cyclist, through both periods of activity and inactivity, I also am fascinated with the current trends in bicycle fit, geometry and construction. Plus its great to read about others experiences over the years.

In short, I like the 50+ forum just the way it is. Keep on posting!

Terry
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yea, I forgot, then there is the PIE!
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems to me that you can post whatever you like (within the bounds of decency) in the 50+forum. It also occurs to me that you can choose to read or not to read the threads and the various postings. This would be a great time urge those who feel inclined to post to this thread to let it die and go away. Just a suggestion.