Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 08-23-06, 03:59 PM   #1
hawkijohn

Bikes: 06 Bacchetta Giro 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The "Perfect" job?

My 13 yr old son asked me the other night, "Dad, what would be your perfect job?" I thought about it for a few moments and replied, "Pro bike racer" I said that even tho I considered all the agony and heartbreak they suffer through. (George Hincapie today for example) not to mention the doping scandals, endless travel and near unbearable physical and mental torture of those long stage races and countless other reasons why it's an awful way to make a living. Inspite of all that, can you even begin to imagine the elation of winning a stage, wearing the yellow or best yet, winning the overall in the TDF, forgetting recent scandals for a moment? The brotherhood of being on a great team and overcoming great adversity has to be beyond description. I've heard Lance say he doesn't miss the racing so much but he really misses the training and "the guys of the team". Bobke gives colorfull descriptions of the life without glorifying it in his books. If you're up for a little pain and suffering, I've got to think it would all be worth it!
hawkijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-06, 04:08 PM   #2
SemperFi
Pinstriper

Bikes: 05' Specialized Sequoia Elite, Raleigh M40 Mountain Bike
Not sure what the perfect job would be...I guess because most of us don't have it, or if we do, don't realize it.
It would have to be the one that you can't wait to get back to in the morning.
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-06, 04:15 PM   #3
Grampy™
Geezer Member

Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi
It would have to be the one that you can't wait to get back to in the morning.
Uhhhhh that would be me.
Old 08-23-06, 04:19 PM   #4
SemperFi
Pinstriper

Bikes: 05' Specialized Sequoia Elite, Raleigh M40 Mountain Bike
Wish I could say the same Grampy , but good for you.
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-06, 04:33 PM   #5
NOS88

Bikes:
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I love my work. After watching my father who hated two jobs spanning 40 years, I made the decision that money was not everythings. Hence, I set a course to find my passion and work at that. For the past 20 years, I've been lucky enough to have a job that I am eager to return to each day. Don't get me wrong. There are days when I just want to scream, but these are few and far between. I think if I tried to turn bike riding into a vocation, I'd like it less. What I like about it now is that it takes me completely away from the crebreal stuff that work requires. It helps create a great balance.... a full diet of it? No, I like it the way it is now. Like I said, I'm one of the lucky ones.
Old 08-23-06, 04:44 PM   #6
turtleguy54

Bikes: 1971 Motobecane Grand Record (frame), 1983 Vitus 979 (Bought new and built up. My son still rides it), 1978 Raliegh Roadster (complete but totally torn down right now. 28" wheels, Surly Cross Check ( my love. What a bike)
I would be my third career-teaching. Every day is something new with the kids and time passes quickly to 4:00. Plus, it's only 188 days of the year. That leaves a lot of time for cycling. The money isn't the greatest but I wouldn't trade this career. I love going in everyday.
turtleguy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-06, 05:39 PM   #7
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I'm hoping to find out in about 6 years when I retire from my indentured servitude. I won't be able to stop working, but I'm sure going to stop working for the man.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-06, 06:17 PM   #8
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I know it is an old joke, but it is a good one: condom testing is good work if you can get it.
mollusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-06, 06:46 PM   #9
67walkon

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Giant Hybrid
When I started my current job, back in 1975, I told the guy that hired me that I wanted 2 hours off every Friday at lunch to play basketball and he agreed. For quite a few years, I ran at lunch time almost every day with a group of guys in the same line of work. These days, I hit the gym 3 days a week at lunch, have a standing men's group one day, and eat lunch with the young folks one day a week.

I think that is a pretty perfect job, even though I get sick of the work routine from time to time.
67walkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-06, 03:55 AM   #10
Monoborracho

Bikes: Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Soma Saga
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I want to be a golf cart racer.
Old 08-24-06, 04:31 AM   #11
Gary Diego
Banned.

Bikes:
The perfect job?

Oh, you mean like a job you go to so's you can make some bread.

You cats are wild, I'll tell ya that much!
Gary Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-06, 05:45 AM   #12
gear

Bikes:
A job that you love, with people you respect, twelve "nice road" miles from where you live, you can keep your bike safe inside, you can shower, you can keep a set of clothes (and wash them there too), you can eat there, there are two bike shops on your route and you get well compensated by your employer. Oh; I just described my job.
gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-06, 07:02 AM   #13
fmw
Hoosier Pedaler

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gear
A job that you love, with people you respect, twelve "nice road" miles from where you live, you can keep your bike safe inside, you can shower, you can keep a set of clothes (and wash them there too), you can eat there, there are two bike shops on your route and you get well compensated by your employer. Oh; I just described my job.
My job is at home which is a farm in the country. I operate an e-commerce business and have done so for 8 years. I can go ride whenever I want. The country roads start right at the end of my driveway. I can take a nap if I want. I can play a round of golf in the middle of the day if someone asks me to. I can get the work done at any time of day or night that is convenient for me. My commute to the office is all of a dozen steps. I'm currently at work in bare feet wearing shorts and a Cinelli T-shirt. I'm going to ride later today after the thunderstorms pass. I'm not switching jobs with anybody.
Old 08-24-06, 07:20 AM   #14
jm01
Banned

Bikes: Ellsworth Id
As my mom always told me "you'll never know the meaning of true misery until you have a job you hate"

I now know that moms are always right.

...so,I'm now in my perfect job, a self employed headhunter, working from home, office, cottage...making stupid money...have the ability to work with people I like, the hours I want, and when i want

woo hoo!, found my freedom 55
jm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-06, 10:28 AM   #15
staehpj1 

Bikes:
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Anywhere but here.
staehpj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-06, 11:27 AM   #16
capejohn

Bikes: Novara Randonee, Felt Z45, Marin Belvedere Commuter
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gear
I work for Verizon also.
capejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-06, 11:57 AM   #17
Coyote!

Bikes:
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
>>> condom testing is good work if you can get it

Just be careful that the company doesn't have a promotion that goes, "Bust one and win a mother-in-law.".
Old 08-25-06, 06:02 AM   #18
gear

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by capejohn
I work for Verizon also.
I don't.
gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-06, 10:25 AM   #19
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
I'm close to it now.

I have a side job working in a bike shop two days a week. My deal with them is that I only fix bikes. I'm last up to answer the telephone or to wait on customers. I've only been asked to assemble one bike. Generally, when the repairs are caught up, I'm outta there!

Now if I could only get them to provide me with a charming and attractive young woman to run down any repair parts that I need, that would be the perfect job.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-06, 11:04 AM   #20
bkaapcke

Bikes:
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
A friend of mine had the perfect job. He was the #2 guy (first mate?) on tug boats moving barges from South Florida throughout the Caribbean. Good pay, beautiful surroundings and whenever he was off, he could catch a free ride to any one of the islands. When it was time to head home, a free ride was down at the docks. He really kicked himself for quitting that one.
bkaapcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-06, 12:52 PM   #21
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: are awesome.
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I llove the job I have - - it allows me to both write and do graphic design work. But I have to say that my ideal job would be to be a marketing director inside the biking or motorcycle industries. At least as long as I didn't have to live in Southern Callifornia to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
"Don't argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
dminor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-06, 12:33 AM   #22
Big Paulie

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dminor
I have to say that my ideal job would be to be a marketing director inside the biking or motorcycle industries. At least as long as I didn't have to live in Southern Callifornia to do it.
Bummer dminor...we were just about to offer you a postion in our So Cal marketing firm that specializes in bicycles and motorcycles!
Big Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote