User Tag List

My Bikes
    06 Bacchetta Giro 20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The "Perfect" job?

My 13 yr old son asked me the other night, "Dad, what would be your perfect job?" I thought about it for a few moments and replied, "Pro bike racer" I said that even tho I considered all the agony and heartbreak they suffer through. (George Hincapie today for example) not to mention the doping scandals, endless travel and near unbearable physical and mental torture of those long stage races and countless other reasons why it's an awful way to make a living. Inspite of all that, can you even begin to imagine the elation of winning a stage, wearing the yellow or best yet, winning the overall in the TDF, forgetting recent scandals for a moment? The brotherhood of being on a great team and overcoming great adversity has to be beyond description. I've heard Lance say he doesn't miss the racing so much but he really misses the training and "the guys of the team". Bobke gives colorfull descriptions of the life without glorifying it in his books. If you're up for a little pain and suffering, I've got to think it would all be worth it!
    "Whoever wants to reach a distant goal must take many small steps" -Helmut
    Schmidt

06 Bacchetta Giro 20

My Bikes
    05' Specialized Sequoia Elite, Raleigh M40 Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure what the perfect job would be...I guess because most of us don't have it, or if we do, don't realize it.
    It would have to be the one that you can't wait to get back to in the morning.
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Ride On!

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SemperFi
    It would have to be the one that you can't wait to get back to in the morning.
    Uhhhhh that would be me.
    Carpe who?

My Bikes
    05' Specialized Sequoia Elite, Raleigh M40 Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wish I could say the same Grampy , but good for you.
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Ride On!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I love my work. After watching my father who hated two jobs spanning 40 years, I made the decision that money was not everythings. Hence, I set a course to find my passion and work at that. For the past 20 years, I've been lucky enough to have a job that I am eager to return to each day. Don't get me wrong. There are days when I just want to scream, but these are few and far between. I think if I tried to turn bike riding into a vocation, I'd like it less. What I like about it now is that it takes me completely away from the crebreal stuff that work requires. It helps create a great balance.... a full diet of it? No, I like it the way it is now. Like I said, I'm one of the lucky ones.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    1971 Motobecane Grand Record (frame), 1983 Vitus 979 (Bought new and built up. My son still rides it), 1978 Raliegh Roadster (complete but totally torn down right now. 28" wheels, Surly Cross Check ( my love. What a bike)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be my third career-teaching. Every day is something new with the kids and time passes quickly to 4:00. Plus, it's only 188 days of the year. That leaves a lot of time for cycling. The money isn't the greatest but I wouldn't trade this career. I love going in everyday.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm hoping to find out in about 6 years when I retire from my indentured servitude. I won't be able to stop working, but I'm sure going to stop working for the man.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know it is an old joke, but it is a good one: condom testing is good work if you can get it.
    I'm the world's forgotten boy. The one who's searchin', searchin' to destroy.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Giant Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I started my current job, back in 1975, I told the guy that hired me that I wanted 2 hours off every Friday at lunch to play basketball and he agreed. For quite a few years, I ran at lunch time almost every day with a group of guys in the same line of work. These days, I hit the gym 3 days a week at lunch, have a standing men's group one day, and eat lunch with the young folks one day a week.

I think that is a pretty perfect job, even though I get sick of the work routine from time to time.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to be a golf cart racer.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The perfect job?

Oh, you mean like a job you go to so's you can make some bread.

You cats are wild, I'll tell ya that much!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A job that you love, with people you respect, twelve "nice road" miles from where you live, you can keep your bike safe inside, you can shower, you can keep a set of clothes (and wash them there too), you can eat there, there are two bike shops on your route and you get well compensated by your employer. Oh; I just described my job.

fmw
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gear
    A job that you love, with people you respect, twelve "nice road" miles from where you live, you can keep your bike safe inside, you can shower, you can keep a set of clothes (and wash them there too), you can eat there, there are two bike shops on your route and you get well compensated by your employer. Oh; I just described my job.
    My job is at home which is a farm in the country. I operate an e-commerce business and have done so for 8 years. I can go ride whenever I want. The country roads start right at the end of my driveway. I can take a nap if I want. I can play a round of golf in the middle of the day if someone asks me to. I can get the work done at any time of day or night that is convenient for me. My commute to the office is all of a dozen steps. I'm currently at work in bare feet wearing shorts and a Cinelli T-shirt. I'm going to ride later today after the thunderstorms pass. I'm not switching jobs with anybody.

Banned
    My Bikes
    Ellsworth Id
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As my mom always told me "you'll never know the meaning of true misery until you have a job you hate"

I now know that moms are always right.

...so,I'm now in my perfect job, a self employed headhunter, working from home, office, cottage...making stupid money...have the ability to work with people I like, the hours I want, and when i want

woo hoo!, found my freedom 55

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anywhere but here.

My Bikes
    Novara Randonee, Felt Z45, Marin Belvedere Commuter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gear
    I work for Verizon also.
    Bike riding Northern gentleman.

Coyote!
    >>> condom testing is good work if you can get it

Just be careful that the company doesn't have a promotion that goes, "Bust one and win a mother-in-law.".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by capejohn
    I work for Verizon also.
    I don't.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm close to it now.

I have a side job working in a bike shop two days a week. My deal with them is that I only fix bikes. I'm last up to answer the telephone or to wait on customers. I've only been asked to assemble one bike. Generally, when the repairs are caught up, I'm outta there!

Now if I could only get them to provide me with a charming and attractive young woman to run down any repair parts that I need, that would be the perfect job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend of mine had the perfect job. He was the #2 guy (first mate?) on tug boats moving barges from South Florida throughout the Caribbean. Good pay, beautiful surroundings and whenever he was off, he could catch a free ride to any one of the islands. When it was time to head home, a free ride was down at the docks. He really kicked himself for quitting that one.

My Bikes
    1971 Suzuki TS125/factory race kit/AHRMA-legal; 1969 Suzuki TS250/factory race kit; 1967 Suzuki K-15 Hillbilly Trail 80; 1977 Yamaha IT175; 1964 VanTech Scrambler racing frame
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I llove the job I have - - it allows me to both write and do graphic design work. But I have to say that my ideal job would be to be a marketing director inside the biking or motorcycle industries. At least as long as I didn't have to live in Southern Callifornia to do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dminor
    I have to say that my ideal job would be to be a marketing director inside the biking or motorcycle industries. At least as long as I didn't have to live in Southern Callifornia to do it.
    Bummer dminor...we were just about to offer you a postion in our So Cal marketing firm that specializes in bicycles and motorcycles!