User Tag List

My Bikes
    Bachetta Agio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having a bad week

Started out this week with rides to and from work, still doing the Graves though (12 hour). 10 miles into work, and back again. Didn't get to ride Monday, or Tuesday. Got out today in the 90+ degree heat and after 22 miles felt something wrong with the back tire. I had an unusual "wobble". Got off the bike at a stop light and checked out my tire to find it horribly out of true. The Cause, 2 broken spokes . I have no Idea how they broke. Never heard them go, never hit a bump so hard that could have snapped them. Didn't have time to pull the tire before I had to head off to work again tonight. Hopefully I can get it torn apart and down to my LBS and get the spokes replaced. I may loose the rest of the week riding. POOP!
    As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
    Joshua 24:15

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good luck with that. Very frustrating.

sch
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the broken spokes are on the cassette side, might be best to replace all of the spokes on that side
    as it is not unusual for a series of breakages to occur once they start. You don't want to get stuck 5mi
    out for want of $10 worth of spokes. It is possible they were damaged by a long ago chain deraillment inside the cassette.
    Steve

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chain-side spokes are the most common to break. That's because dishing causes the tension to be higher on that side. If one breaks, replace it. But you've broken two. When the second one goes, it's an indication that all the spokes are nearing their fatigue limit and you should respoke the wheel to avoid continuing failures.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a quote before rebuilding a wheel. Parts may not be expensive but the labour can be. I normally find it is cheaper to look on line to find a replacement wheel that to rebuild one.

Can't give you a US address but the one I use is Merlin Cycles in the UK

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/

Even with a poor exchange rate this company is good, but You must have a company like this in the US.

They may be cheap but this company builds very good wheels.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Bachetta Agio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update on the bad week

I spent more than an hour trying to get my tire off, breaking two levers in the process. I finally ran out of time (had to go to work) and ended up taking the whole thing to the shop. Turned my Wheel over to my Favorite mechanic at Treads. By the way, both broken spokes were on the cassett side. This wheel is brand new, I bought the bike in April and I have only done about 700 miles on it, so I am a little concerned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandwarrior
    I spent more than an hour trying to get my tire off, breaking two levers in the process.
    What difficulty were you having that caused removing the tire to become such a chore? Just curious.
    Caruso

My Bikes
    Bachetta Agio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm. I would start with that I am mechanically challenged, suffer from sleep deprevation caused by the shift I work, and MAYBE I am just dumber than a dorknob! I Had a tough time getting the levers under the bead of the tire, then the Tire was so tight on the rim that I could not bring it up and over the lip of the rim. When I got it to the LBS, even the experienced mechanic had trouble getting his plastic levers to work. Another factor may have been the thickness of the tube (Thorn proof) and the 2oz of goop in it. Well the tire is back home, I have new tire levers, and tomorrow I will do a 60 miler,if God allows for good weather.