Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Anyone run safety lights on their bent? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/222429-anyone-run-safety-lights-their-bent.html)

miatatbone 08-24-06 06:46 AM

Anyone run safety lights on their bent?

Cars in the country just don't seem to see a bike well. I'm worried more about my wife riding than me. I put a flashing light on the rear of both of our bikes and it seems to help. What about the front? I know the racers are probally going to crucify me.

sch 08-24-06 09:29 AM

As long as you use the high brightness flashers, it certainly would improve visibility from the rear and the side which are the most important angles. Older and cheaper flashers tend to wash out visually after 100-200yds, the high brightness models seem to be good for more than 3x the distance, and at dusk 6-8x as far. Of course only the first car in the string is likely to see the flashers, so it depends on how busy the road is and the road width.

scottogo 08-24-06 09:42 AM

How about a flag?

Nightshade 08-24-06 10:06 AM

I mounted a pair of "Survival Strobes" on my trike. Both are on a short
pole front & rear. Each Strobe uses 1 D battery and is waterproof.

These things are sooooooooooo bright ya can't miss'um when they flash. :D

stapfam 08-24-06 01:12 PM

I see one of my customers on the way to his work every day as I drive to work in the opposite direction. He is on his bike, by the way and I am in a car. Laste winter I could see him coming and recognise him as he had two lights on his bike- The one I picked up was the flashing one. The solid one was not really noticed. His flashing one, as I found out when I spoke to him was a free-bee given to him by his shop. As I use the same shop I went in and asked for my freebee. He didin't have any left but it is an emergency LED that is normally used on a key ring. It has a 360 hour battery life and is cheap to buy. I bought one and use on my key ring and it is good. No good to ride by but can be seen for about 200yards- in daylight.

The name of it is Electron Backupz

jisaak 08-24-06 01:25 PM

Not riding a bent but the same applies. I have a red LED on rear and white LED white on front. They can be flashing or a steady light but the flashing light is far more noticeable. They are extremely bright and very reasonable - the front is a Cat Eye that has a 340 hour rating for 2 AA alkaline batteries and the rear is a Trek model with 2 AAA. I use them for my early morning spin before work and I feel safer but still look over my shoulder.
IMO add the front lite otherwise a car could turn in front of you - I paid $26 CDN for the Cat Eye and $20 for the Trek - cheap piece of mind.

BlazingPedals 08-24-06 01:50 PM

Most people worry about being seen from behind, not from the front. Personally, I have a rear flasher but I only put it on when I'm going on a tour or otherwise may be riding in twilight.

disclaimer: I don't ride at night without proper lighting.