Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-24-06, 06:03 PM   #1
buelito
train safe
Thread Starter
 
buelito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Reston, VA
Bikes:
Posts: 801
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ride the Rockies--2007

I did "Ride the Rockies" a few years ago and had a blast. It was 7 days in June of riding between 50 and 100 mies per day. I went alone, which was the bad part, but I always had someone to ride with. I am thinking of going in 2007, and I thought, why not ask the 50+ers is they're interested in going. You have plenty of time to train for it... In February you need to log into their website and print out the application and send it in. It is done via lottery, so there are no guarantees, but you will know sometime in March if you are in. The route always does 2 or 3 mountain passes and you get to see a lot fo the Colorado landscape. They change the route every year, so if you've done it before, chances are you will be going through towns you didn't go through before.

On Labor day I am going to try something that will determine which bike gets taken to Colorado. I have a fixie, which I love to ride-- I have over 3300 miles on it this year-- I am going to Skyline Drive to do 62 miles (with over 7000 feet of climbing). Thirty one of them will be uphill. If I can do that with the fixie, that is the bike I plan to take to Colorado in june...otherwise, it's the multi-gear.

At any rate, I would enjoy meeting some of you there and riding along as well.

train safe-
buelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-06, 06:25 PM   #2
DnvrFox
Banned.
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If the RTR is full, you can sign up for the Bicycle Tour of Colorado, which is supposed to also be a lot of fun. When did you do RTR? I did in 1998 and 1999.

Also there is Pedal the Peaks but they went to New Mexico last year - don't know their route this year.

Sorry, not going to do it again. I just don't seem to like large group rides.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-25-06 at 06:57 AM.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-06, 07:10 PM   #3
Grampy™
Geezer Member
 
Grampy™'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
Posts: 1,384
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I just don't seem to like large group rides.
LOL, me either. Every year people that know I ride ask me if I'm doing R.A.G.B.R.A.I. this year... I really don't like to ride with 20,000 people at the same time.
__________________
Carpe who?
Grampy™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-06, 09:30 PM   #4
nmichell
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Bikes: '05 Salsa La Raza, '13 Aluboo (bamboo) SS, '12 DaVinci Grand Junction tandem
Posts: 359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'd like to try it in 2007, depending on the route. It would be great if they went over Trail Ridge road, perferrably starting from Fort Collins (see my location)

Doing RTR on a fixed gear would be impressive. Of course, riding 3300 in less than a year on any bike, much less a fixie, sounds pretty impressive to me.
nmichell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-06, 01:00 AM   #5
Sandwarrior
Bent Ryder
 
Sandwarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Aurora Colorado
Bikes: Bachetta Agio
Posts: 546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buelito
I did "Ride the Rockies" a few years ago and had a blast. It was 7 days in June of riding between 50 and 100 mies per day. I went alone, which was the bad part, but I always had someone to ride with. I am thinking of going in 2007, and I thought, why not ask the 50+ers is they're interested in going. You have plenty of time to train for it... In February you need to log into their website and print out the application and send it in. It is done via lottery, so there are no guarantees, but you will know sometime in March if you are in. The route always does 2 or 3 mountain passes and you get to see a lot fo the Colorado landscape. They change the route every year, so if you've done it before, chances are you will be going through towns you didn't go through before.

On Labor day I am going to try something that will determine which bike gets taken to Colorado. I have a fixie, which I love to ride-- I have over 3300 miles on it this year-- I am going to Skyline Drive to do 62 miles (with over 7000 feet of climbing). Thirty one of them will be uphill. If I can do that with the fixie, that is the bike I plan to take to Colorado in june...otherwise, it's the multi-gear.

At any rate, I would enjoy meeting some of you there and riding along as well.

train safe-
I for one, would love to go. Do they allow recumbents? I will be working dilligently to get my "bent" muscles tuned up for this ride.
Sandwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-06, 04:09 AM   #6
buelito
train safe
Thread Starter
 
buelito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Reston, VA
Bikes:
Posts: 801
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dnvr- I did it in 2002.
Sandwarrier- I don't think they discriminate against any type of bike...
nmichell- I am hoping I can keep my fitness up to do it on a fixie--my test will be over Labor Day-- although the hills around here are not as long as in the Rockies--they tend to be steeper, so maybe that will make up for the difference.

train safe-
buelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-06, 05:08 AM   #7
DnvrFox
Banned.
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandwarrior
I for one, would love to go. Do they allow recumbents? I will be working dilligently to get my "bent" muscles tuned up for this ride.
There are all kinds of "bicycles."

I have seen folks on unicycles, large Norwegian "commuting scooters," BMX's, bikes with bars and riders wearing tux's, a large contingent of folks using hand propelled bikes. I think a bent would be real common and sort of boring!
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-06, 06:07 AM   #8
chipcom 
Infamous Member
 
chipcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ohio
Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi
Posts: 24,366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buelito
On Labor day I am going to try something that will determine which bike gets taken to Colorado. I have a fixie, which I love to ride-- I have over 3300 miles on it this year-- I am going to Skyline Drive to do 62 miles (with over 7000 feet of climbing). Thirty one of them will be uphill. If I can do that with the fixie, that is the bike I plan to take to Colorado in june...otherwise, it's the multi-gear.
If you enjoy riding Skyline on a fixie, you're a better man than I.
__________________
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
chipcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-06, 06:26 AM   #9
hawkijohn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Rural Watkins Iowa
Bikes: 06 Bacchetta Giro 20
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampy™
LOL, me either. Every year people that know I ride ask me if I'm doing R.A.G.B.R.A.I. this year... I really don't like to ride with 20,000 people at the same time.
DITTO here, when friends or family heard about me going on a 550 mile bike tour this yr, last week of July everyone assumed it was RAGBRAI. BTW, I live less than 20 miles from Cedar Rapids and I've never ridden in RAGBRAI. I'll buy ya a cup of coffee some day tho!
hawkijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-06, 02:20 PM   #10
Proximo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Bikes:
Posts: 750
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did the third Ride the Rockies in '88 and had a great time. I'm not sure why I never signed up again but I hope to get on it next year.
Proximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-06, 02:34 PM   #11
DnvrFox
Banned.
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BTW, I made the official "movie" for the RTR.

There were a bunch of us on USENET who, after a heated typical helmet war discussion on helmets, decided we would meet.

As the efficacy of helmets was the order of the day (it has never ended) and one person had said that a helmet was no better than a plastic milk jug, I fashioned a "milk jug" helmet to wear during registration as a signal to others of who I was.

Sadly, amongst the 1000's of folks there, no one recognized me except the cameraman who featured me with the milkjug.

Ah fame, how fleeting you are.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-06, 02:37 PM   #12
MyPC8MyBrain
Shut Up and Ride
 
MyPC8MyBrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Bikes: Cannondale t-700 [commuter], Cannondale MT-800 [Tandem so the Lil Misses can keep up], GT I drive Team [My tricked out Racer MTB]
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I rode this this year's RTR, it was the first time for me. I will be riding next year as well. Like you, the I rode alone. It was nice in regard to riding at my own pace, but having others to hang with after the day's ride would have been cool.
MyPC8MyBrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-06, 03:01 PM   #13
dauphin
Senior Member
 
dauphin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: California
Bikes:
Posts: 2,991
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
BTW, I made the official "movie" for the RTR.

There were a bunch of us on USENET who, after a heated typical helmet war discussion on helmets, decided we would meet.

As the efficacy of helmets was the order of the day (it has never ended) and one person had said that a helmet was no better than a plastic milk jug, I fashioned a "milk jug" helmet to wear during registration as a signal to others of who I was.

Sadly, amongst the 1000's of folks there, no one recognized me except the cameraman who featured me with the milkjug.

Ah fame, how fleeting you are.
Do you still have that "helmet"...I've been researching....
__________________
dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-06, 04:01 PM   #14
DnvrFox
Banned.
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauphin
Do you still have that "helmet"...I've been researching....
It is in the foyer of the "Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute" featured as the safest model ever made. However, it was so inexpensive (I dare not say "cheap") to make that all the manufacturers revolted against the idea. I never patented it and Bell quickly usurped the design, much like those devices that give you 100 miles per gallon for your car have been buried under patent law by the automobile manufacturers working in cahoots with the petroleum companies. Sigh! I could have been a hundred-aire!

Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-25-06 at 04:09 PM.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:25 PM.