Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

being one of many

Been looking at how my riding has progressed since I joined the 50+ forum. Bit difficult to assess really but I know my attitude has changed. I am out looking to get some interesting rides in so that I can do a report on it. I am looking at the queries coming up from some of the posters to see if I can relate to them. Possibly it is something I have not thought of, so a bit of analysis goes on to see how it affects me. Or if it has already affected me, then perhaps I can relate back to the poster.

On the postings- I am not afraid to put my views across. If I feel very strongly about something then I will say so-- But also with regard to the the other point of view. I have never been put down by a posting I have made- which is a bit different when you post on the MTB forum (Insert other forums here)where a 14? year old know it all will attempt to shoot you down in flames cos his wallmart special is as good as your Bianchi (Insert any other known name here) so why are you telling people that their problem relates to the poor equipment They have just bought when it is down to me looking down on a person on a budget.

So Has my riding improved- not much but I do try to ride a bit more often nowadays. Has my fitness improved- not greatly but I am a few years older and the extra riding has not seen a depreciation. Has my weight gone up- No it should have done with the pies on every ride.

The main way the forum has affected me is that I now have a road bike. All these roadies posting made me wonder if I ought to get out and do more road rides, or at least see what road riding is about. My midweek ride this summer has been on the road bike and I have also started to take a few weekend rides on it aswell. For you diehard Mountain bikers out there- Its different but its not all its cracked up to be. A 50 mile road ride does not leave me as shattered as a 30 mile offroad ride, or leave me with the same buzz. The really good point is that I can jump on the thing whenever I feel like it and do a quick 25 miles or so- and that is not always possible on a foul evening on the MTB

So --The 50+ has helped me a lot- How has it affected you?
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Makes me feel like part of a family and lets me know that I'm not the only one struggling with whatever "problem" I'm facing at the time.

I always enjoy your posts stapfam, keep 'em coming.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without this forum, how would I know what bike to buy???
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It hasn't affected me at all, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I've learned more about cycling from BF 50+ over the past couple of months than I had ever know in my entire life up to that point. For the most part, people have been generous with information and suggestions and especially cordial in the 50+ sub-forum. Thank you all very much. My wife and I have enjoyed cycling so much more since we have become part of this community.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's allowed me to stay connected to my passion on those days when business has me out of town and away from my bikes. It's also allowed me the opportunity to enter a small part of the biking lives of others, many of whom I've come to respect, over a large geographic area. It's also created a sense of belonging to a community of riders with different views, passions, ideas, and yet, many things in common. It's given me a place to learn somethings I didn't know, reaffirm other things, and continue learning about this magnificant sport. Finally, it keeps me focused on the importance of two things: 1) trying to keep an open mind, and 2) riding as much as possible.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88
    ...It's also allowed me the opportunity to enter a small part of the biking lives of others, many of whom I've come to respect, over a large geographic area. It's also created a sense of belonging to a community of riders with different views, passions, ideas, and yet, many things in common. It's given me a place to learn somethings I didn't know, reaffirm other things, and continue learning about this magnificant sport. Finally, it keeps me focused on the importance of two things: 1) trying to keep an open mind, and 2) riding as much as possible.
    +1 Also, it's good for me to get a metaphorical "stick in the eye" when I wander too far afield with opinions - bike related or otherwise.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FarHorizon
    +1 Also, it's good for me to get a metaphorical "stick in the eye" when I wander too far afield with opinions - bike related or otherwise.

"Lord, it's hard to be humble, when your perfect in every way.... however, that old "stick in the eye" can bring you right back down to earth!
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Giant Cypress SX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So stepfam, did you run into any problems making the transition to the road bike?

By the way, I find your posts usually helpful, and always above reproach.
    Some people are like a Slinky ... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88
    It's allowed me to stay connected to my passion on those days when business has me out of town and away from my bikes. It's also allowed me the opportunity to enter a small part of the biking lives of others, many of whom I've come to respect, over a large geographic area. It's also created a sense of belonging to a community of riders with different views, passions, ideas, and yet, many things in common. It's given me a place to learn somethings I didn't know, reaffirm other things, and continue learning about this magnificant sport. Finally, it keeps me focused on the importance of two things: 1) trying to keep an open mind, and 2) riding as much as possible.
    Kinda what I meant in my post

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good points, stapfam. This is a place where you can speak your mind, and even those who don't agree don't get nasty about disagreeing. I wish people in other forums and, indeed, daily life, would take notes.

I ride a recumbent, so lots of technical stuff here doesn't apply to me. Still, the other common ground with this group keeps me coming back, and this is a pretty inspiring place.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nermal
    So stepfam, did you run into any problems making the transition to the road bike?

By the way, I find your posts usually helpful, and always above reproach.

Change over to the road bike was for a reason. I Can only really get out offroad at the weekends. Midweek rides have in previous years been with my co-rider on the tandem and we normally do about 30 mile offroad in 2 1/2 hours. This year My Co-rider has been stuffed with work and away on a lot of courses, then there are the holidays and he has a younger family. This meant that Mid week rides were out on the Mountain bike- Unless I went on the road and this is not enjoyable. SO-- I looked at getting a better bike for those mid-week rides. makes sense to go on the road so road bike. I was not overly happy about it but if I want to keep training- it was the obvious way to go.

The road bike is different in that I still do not go onto the drops very often. Mainly riding on the hoods but I have set the Road bike up to be comfortable in that position. Main problem I had was braking but That is still posiible from the hood position and if it is a downhil or tricky traffic then the drops will be the preferred position so I can brake easier. Biggest problem I found was controlling the speed. This thing is faster. Body wise- no extra aches and pains, legs are not really stretched on road bike as offroad hills are hard. I have started using the HRM again as I was certain that I do not work as hard on the road and this is true. Heart rate at cruising is down by at least 10 but on the severe hills- I do still get the HR up to my max. Average offroad ride and I will be riding at 140/145 as my norm and will take hills at 150/155 and get to 165 by the top. On the road I find myself slipping back to 130 as my norm getting to 150 on the hills and it will take a severe hill to get to 165.

Its a different form of riding. I do not think I would change over to being a full road rider- unless the Offroad starts getting TOO hard, but road riding has kept my fitness up this summer. It is difficult to summon up the enthusiasm to do 20 miles on a heavy MTB on the road. Wheras I get home from work on a beautiful evening and get changed- jump on the road bike and go for a quick 25miler- or more.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, its hard to find guys in their 50's/60's to ride with. Generally, I'm the oldest. Here, I find peers. My concerns are often sometimes age-related...things that didn't concern me in my 40's, early 50's. It is reassuring and helpful to know I'm "not alone" out here. Knowing there are contemporary (and older) riders riding harder and better than I keeps me trying harder. Fun stuff like the pie ride and the Ride-Your-Birthday also keep me feeling a part of things. Like most of you, I tune in at least once a day to keep up with Mono's shoulder, DG's Sisyphus-like bike search, etc. Days the server's down are mildly frustrating. Anyway, new cycling ideas are always welcome on my screen, as is the friendly & accepting atmosphere here.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mostly encouragement. Most riders are younger and it's tempting to knock yourself for not being able to keep up. It's refreshing to see others have the same struggles and still persevere. Rarely get much technical help anymore as I've learned the sport, but now techie knowledge is not as important as enthusiasm. Always open for training and conditioning ideas from this forum as the subforum on training and nutrition is too schewed towards youngsters.

I was off for 3 weeks, and road a short 9 miles yesterday. It was refreshing to see the buzz lasted for about 2 hours and no sore muscles. Back on the road again tomorrow.
    Hi 'o Silver away

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After looking at other forums and finding this one I knew I found the one I was looking for. The 50+ forum told me which bike to get,which seat to buy and where to ride. I keep learning from it all the time. Besides biking,all the trials of life,some good and some bad,but that's life.Now I want to get a riding partner in my area and start making plans to do some long rides with. I know it will come along when the time is right. Thank all of you. for all the help,and safe riding,George
    George

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a peaceful coexistence that I think is the backbone of this group. As a newbie this past spring I was in awe of people over 50 riding their age. I rode mine 3 months later. Accomplishments don't happen by accident. They happen because of people like you guys (and gals) setting the example. When I first came here I noticed no one was dissing anyone elses bike, opinion, or riding preferences. A real contrast to other forum groups. For a guy that likes to ride with his wife and has just reached 600 miles for the summer (wish it was more but I just don't have the time), I know that that's OK here. No one that has logged 2000-3000 miles is going to give me grief over my 600. It is still more miles than I rode in the previous 55 years.

I am now trying to convince my wife to buy a couple entry level MTB. There are alot of nice state parks with miles of logging roads to ride around here. I think that would be a great autumn pastime. This opening of new avenues and adventures is directly attributed to this group.

And what could be better than a whole family of Diegos.

I remember a thread from DG where he asked if it was alright NOT to ride a century. The answers were typical of the support and sense of humor seen here. I can't imagine how that thread would have gone in the Road Bike group.
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since joining into the 50+ forum I have become a bitter old fart -retro-loving -anti progress-old fashioned foggy. Oops I think I was headed that way already. Never Mind
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

My Bikes
    Cannondale R600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossChain
    For me, its hard to find guys in their 50's/60's to ride with. Generally, I'm the oldest. Here, I find peers. My concerns are often sometimes age-related...things that didn't concern me in my 40's, early 50's. It is reassuring and helpful to know I'm "not alone" out here. Knowing there are contemporary (and older) riders riding harder and better than I keeps me trying harder. Fun stuff like the pie ride and the Ride-Your-Birthday also keep me feeling a part of things. Like most of you, I tune in at least once a day to keep up with Mono's shoulder, DG's Sisyphus-like bike search, etc. Days the server's down are mildly frustrating. Anyway, new cycling ideas are always welcome on my screen, as is the friendly & accepting atmosphere here.
    +1. Although I disagree on one thing -- I meet lots of older riders. Of course, they all seem to say "why don't you join us? We only average 25 MPH...".

My sense is this group could probably get jobs as stand-up comics - much better sense of humor than most forums.

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I look at a few forums that interest me generally to get information or provide information if I feel it may be useful. This is the only forum that I visit on a frequent basis. I think this is because I like bikes a lot and also because this forum is comfortable. You can say what you want about most topics without getting mugged and there is a lot of knowledge to be gained.

I also think that I would be glad to sit and drink a beer with almost everyone who contributes.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    Novara Randonee, Felt Z45, Marin Belvedere Commuter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It gives me something to do at work when I exhause all the other forums I visit.
    Bike riding New England gentleman.