Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The carbon Trek Pilots are GREAT bikes!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-06, 05:48 PM
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

That's all I got. Had another extremely nice ride today.
Old 08-27-06, 06:44 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I happen to know where you can get two dark blue size 56 2005 5.2 Pilots for $2,200 each ($500 off!).

Just saying.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 08-27-06, 06:53 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
I happen to know where you can get two dark blue size 56 2005 5.2 Pilots for $2,200 each ($500 off!).

Just saying.
Craigslist?
Old 08-27-06, 07:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Adams Family Cyclery?
Old 08-27-06, 07:38 PM

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by daredevil
That's all I got. Had another extremely nice ride today.
Can you please tell me how the Trek Pilot 5 compares with the Trek Madone? My LBS is trying to sell me on a Madone for $2,500.
Old 08-27-06, 08:06 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Paulie
The Adams Family Cyclery?
San Diego Trek Superstore, Kearney Mesa

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 08-28-06, 12:39 PM
bobkat

Bikes: Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife got a Trek Pilot 5.0 (the women's one) earlier this year and absolutely loves it! But I tell her I still don't trust that look in her eye when she eyes my comfortable recumbent after a long ride when she has her numb wrists, stiff neck and back, and sore bum! At that point she oogles my 35 pound bent!

But the original question - yes, they are great bikes!
Old 08-29-06, 01:05 AM
Señor Wences

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Carbon Pilots are sort of a performance comfort bike with longer headtubes set higher, on a compact frame, than the Madones which allows for handlebar height being set closer to saddle height, either above or below, with less tinkering about.

They also use a slightly different Carbon with the added designation of VC which stands for Vibration Control. This stuff really seems to soak up road vibration.

They will run larger tires - 28 with full fenders - 32 without full fenders - and have eyelets for said fenders which the Madones do not.

The geometry is more stretched out compared to the Madones.

They are not race bikes.

They will efficiently cruise along at a pretty good clip just the same.

The old guys' Cruise Missile is how I like to look at them.

Originally Posted by will dehne
Can you please tell me how the Trek Pilot 5 compares with the Trek Madone? My LBS is trying to sell me on a Madone for $2,500.

Last edited by jwbnyc; 08-29-06 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-29-06, 08:19 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jwbnyc

The old guys' Cruise Missile is how I like to look at them.

LOL.

And Will, let us know your impressions after you test ride the two. I'm looking, for next year budget willing, at Roubaix, Pilot, etc.
Old 08-29-06, 12:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In looking for my first road bike, I was torn between the Pilot and the Madone...performance vs comfort. The Pilot just felt right for me and I have no regrets. Great bike, good performance and very comfortable.

-BF
Old 08-29-06, 05:51 PM

Bikes: Trek Medone 5.2 Dont forget the Res white and Blue a Trek 7100 Hybrid and Silvr vinage Aluminum Trek with Downrail shifterand wheels that wont stay true

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I so wanted the Pilot when it first came out. It seemed to be built for the over 50 newbie cyclist. I could not stand however to be put on the waiting list ! My LBS offerred me a Red white and Blue Madone 5.2 ( full Ultegra) Double. I love the bike and will put her over 10,000 miles next month. I bought her in December '04. The only major change I made was going to an FSA Compact early this year. If you're going to do any hills you will want either the compact or the triple if you go with the Madone. I think it comes down to whether you feel comfortable riding less upright. I ride 50% or more in the drops, try to catch anyone I see in front of me and especially like to hammer past 30 something's in full Disco kits !! If your inner competitor has gone to sleep however the Pilot is a fine bike and everyone I talk to loves theirs.
Old 08-30-06, 08:31 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck5.2_in_CA
I so wanted the Pilot when it first came out. It seemed to be built for the over 50 newbie cyclist. I could not stand however to be put on the waiting list ! My LBS offerred me a Red white and Blue Madone 5.2 ( full Ultegra) Double. I love the bike and will put her over 10,000 miles next month. I bought her in December '04. The only major change I made was going to an FSA Compact early this year. If you're going to do any hills you will want either the compact or the triple if you go with the Madone. I think it comes down to whether you feel comfortable riding less upright. I ride 50% or more in the drops, try to catch anyone I see in front of me and especially like to hammer past 30 something's in full Disco kits !! If your inner competitor has gone to sleep however the Pilot is a fine bike and everyone I talk to loves theirs.
Chuck:
I feel that your post was directed at me a little. Here is some information: I am looking for a bike to be a little faster. I have this Cannondale R2000 Aluminum bike. It is a good bike but about 25 lbs. It is also very harsh on bumpy roads (very harsh). The Madone worries me a little because the bars are so low compared to the saddle. On the other hand, I have been lowering the bars at my Cannondale quite a bit with no ill effect. I think I am getting more fit.
The goal is another cross country tour at top speed. Perhaps closer to 100 miles/day in 5 hours. (plus stops)
Currently I am doing it in six. (plus stops)
Most tour riders used Litespeed. I am looking at that too. Any comments are welcome.
Old 08-30-06, 10:29 AM

Bikes: Trek Medone 5.2 Dont forget the Res white and Blue a Trek 7100 Hybrid and Silvr vinage Aluminum Trek with Downrail shifterand wheels that wont stay true

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you will hard put to do sustained 20MPH on the Pilot. You are just giving up too much to the wind. I have ridden top of the line litespeeds as well and find the carbon Trek a bit more comfortable than the Litespeeds. The Geometry of the Litespeeds however were closer to my Madone than they were to the Pilot. I road an old aluminum Trek before the Madone and the difference in ride comfort was nite and day. I dont think you can go wrong with any of the bikes you're looking at but IMHO I would go with the Trek Madone triple or a compact and then see if the LBS will exchange the stem to give you a little more upright position. BTW I do one 100 miler in about 5:45 with plus 2-3 stops on a basically flat course solo. I cant even imagine 5:00 flat unless someone else was doing most of the pulling; let alone repeating the distance day after day cross country. It hurts just to type it !!!
Old 08-30-06, 04:53 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Will-I still can't believe you did the cross country on that harsh a ride. I would probably have stopped in Arizona. Your Cannondale sounds a lot like the first road bike I had which was a GT.

For me, comfort comes first before being perfectly aero. Having said that, you could alway use a stem with some rise on the Madone and get it to where it was closer to a neutral position. Or, you could go to a slightly larger frame to where you didn't have quite as much difference in the saddle and the bars. I really enjoy my Madone but it is a bit stiffer than a Trek 5200 or a 5900.

A lot of folks around here are buying Orbea's. I have not researched them that much but some of the top riders around here really enjoy there's.
Old 08-30-06, 06:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Chuck and jppe: This is this forum at its best. Here am I not wanting to make a mistake at possibly the last fast bike I want to buy.
FWIW, the fastest biker on that tour had an Orbea. I must say that he was adjusting it quite a bit.
Another fast guy had Colagno. He had no trouble. Ditto a guy with a Trek TT type bike.
The Madone is attractive to me because of local LBS support. I am a bit helpless without an LBS. Funny because I am an Engineer but do my best to rely on others. (not like you, jippe.)
Actually I feel better about the Madone after reading your posts.
Will
Old 08-30-06, 07:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This description of harsh vs. comfort confuses me. I now do most of my riding on an '05 Cannondale Cyclocross Disc. I hear it is not supposed to be all that comfortable. Then, again, I read that carbon frames are also very harsh.

I have 4500 miles on the c'dale since picking it up in July of '05. My longest rides run 80 miles - and I do that two or three times a month - takes me six hours including a total of one hour in stops. Parts of the ride are gently rolling, some areas include climbing - around 2350 ft in climbing total on my favorite route.

The terrain varies from smooth to quite rough, although I'd say 80% is what I would consider smooth.

However harsh my bike is supposed to be, I can't say that I've ever been bothered by it (or the '73 steel Schwinn LeTour that I rode before purchasing the cyclocross).

I did have the opportunity to ride one carbon frame during a week when my Schwinn was in for rebuilding. This bike was made by Calfee. I guess my ignorance shown because I never realized that it was a carbon frame until I brought it back to the LBS. As for comfort, I cannot say it was better or worse than the Schwinn - just different.

I do remember climbing a few hills on that bike thinking to myself that I must really have had my Wheaties that day because I went up hills with an ease previously unknown to me.

I think that, someday, I might like to own a carbon fiber bike and would love to read more comments about them as well as some the ways in which you feel and/or evaluate a bike for its comfort/harshness.

Caruso
Old 08-31-06, 08:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carusoswi
This description of harsh vs. comfort confuses me.

Caruso
FWIW, I biked side by side with bikers cross country. Many hours. The roads were terrible. Some secondary roads were just gravel held together with tar. I am talking down south were roads are not build for snow and ice.
On these roads, my Cannondale was noticeably vibrating more than the Litespeeds next to me or the Colagno or the Storck or the Trek CF.
BTW, I had 700 x 28 tires and all of them had 700 x 25 or less.
I did use 120 PSI which probably could have been reduced to 100 to 110. However I had only 3 flats as were as some bikers had 20 or more in 3000 miles.
More BTW, the Cannondale was one of the heaviest bikes on that tour with over 30 bikers.