User Tag List

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finished My Century

Well, I did it. I finished my first century in 30 years. On the good side I finish fairly easily, all my various parts were pretty pain free, thanks to a nicely set up bike, loosening my shoes, and a fine Brooks B-17 that seemed to finally really break in during the ride. I realised along about the 30 mile mark I really could not feel my saddle. On the down side, it took me 8 hours complete the ride, and I came in dead last. I know its not a race, but dead last? The previous century I rode, and almost all the others, I would come in with the first group. But that was 50 pounds and 30 years ago. So I have some incentive to really get to riding more. Thanks for all the support here at the over 50 forum.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

jcm
    Gemutlichkeit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job. It's amazing how Brooks saddles tend to disappear as they warm up and soften. Mine take between 3 and 5 miles to warm up, depending on the weather. Great for those long rides.

BTW: I lost 50lbs since last July also.

Banned
    My Bikes
    Ellsworth Id
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well done!!! Congratulations!!!

I'm doing something similar...when i turned 52, i started my annual "birthday ride"...about 158km (100miles) from home in Toronto to cottage in Wasaga Beach, 90% up a slight grade into a NW wind (LY it was over 100F).

took about 8 hours at first, its now down to about 6.5

Apparently, we improve age.

Again, congrats on the century

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    congratulations!

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terrific job!! While it might have taken you a little longer than you would have liked, there's thousands of people that could not even had finished. You will get to the level you want to be at. Just give it some time and more miles!!

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to go. +1 on the B17. Must have been a fast group if 8 hours made you dead last. Most of my century rides fall somewhere between 7 and 8 hours.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats!! Nice going to finish a century. It has to feel good to be working your way back. You may be a little disappointed about your finish position, but think of the majority of others our age who cannot even ride 20 miles! You're ahead of the game.

My Bikes
    Trek 2100, Trek 960, Trek 2300, Novara Randonee, Specialized Langster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just finished my first century in 10 years of so in 7 1/2 hours. What's the rush? I would have stopped off for lunch in a cafe if I had had company, but everyone was intent on finishing as fast as they could. Congratulations.
    Trek 2300
    Trek 2100

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job - let's hope some of it rubs off on me. I'm off this weekend for my first century (at 52). I've been riding about 150 miles/month, with more lately. This past weekend I did 62 on Saturday and 48 on Sunday. Today I am really sore (mostly muscles) - should be an interesting weekend coming up. Your success is inspiring!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job - let's hope some of it rubs off on me. I'm off this weekend for my first century (at 52). I've been riding about 150 miles/month, with more lately. This past weekend I did 62 on Saturday and 48 on Sunday. Today I am really sore (mostly muscles) - should be an interesting weekend coming up. Your success is inspiring!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hate to say it but consecutive long rides on consecutive days is not my idea of fun. The muscle stress from the first day does not recover in 24 hours and I do have problems on that second day. Then again there is that butt problem. Don't care if the saddle is good on the first day- The butt is tender on the second.

Will has probably something more encouraging to say on Continuous riding but not for me thankyou.

Now a novice to distance riding taking 8 hours to do a century. Disastrous. It beats me by 10 minutes on my first one and I was fit and young then. Every route is different and a hilly course will take longer than a flat one. A course with plenty of bends will take longer than good long straight roads. Doesn't matter how long you took- or will take. A century ride is an achievement- Try and get a fit 25 year old from the gym to do it. They will struggle more than any of us- and I even include the newcomers in that aswell.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan