Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Great Sunday Ride

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Great Sunday Ride

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-06, 01:48 PM
Streetfire

Bikes: Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Great Sunday Ride

It wasn't long and it wasn't fast, but it was with my 4 1/2 year old grandson. The best part was that I dug out the old Trek 800 ATB so I could ride slow with him. Now this bike has been abused for 20 years and the hubs are so shot that both wheels wooble, but I took it anyway.

I had planned to just ride on the MUP but when we got to a place where a fire road crosses he said, "What's down there" and I said "I don't know, lets find out", so we rode through the rocks and mud puddles for about a 1/2 mile and found the road ended at a pond. There was a small loop single track off to one side so we took that. It went up a small knoll about 30 feet high that he had to get off his little 16-incher and push it up, but at the top we were looking at a cool little down hill. I went down first, took the corner at the bottom and stopped. Next he came down, full speed, laughing his head off. His mother would have killed me if she saw this. We did that little hill about 6 more times and laughed every time.

Throughout the rest of the ride we took various side trips off the MUP. We rode over rocks, roots, and through mud. We had a blast! When all was said and done we had gone 6 miles and he couldn't wait to tell Nanna how his bike got all muddy.

This, is what it's really all about.

Crap, now I want a mountain bike. My wife's not going to be happy
Old 08-28-06, 02:06 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HopedaleHills
Throughout the rest of the ride we took various side trips off the MUP. We rode over rocks, roots, and through mud. We had a blast! When all was said and done we had gone 6 miles and he couldn't wait to tell Nanna how his bike got all muddy.

This, is what it's really all about.

Crap, now I want a mountain bike. My wife's not going to be happy
Mud gets everywhere so I hope you had a bath when you got home. And I hope you cleaned the bikes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Clean the bike.JPG (43.3 KB, 17 views)

Spike Milligan
Old 08-28-06, 10:12 PM

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Sirrus Comp, 1988 Diamond Back Ascent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What a great ride. It's one reason I'm riding now -- staying in shape so I can ride with those grandkids -- which are still a few years off. This summer I was able to get my youngest son (just graduated from the University of Colorado -- go Buffs!) back on a bike and we enjoyed a couple of rides. Best one was between Breckenridge and Copper Mountain. He and I left my wife and his girlfriend at their own pace and we pedaled ahead. He tried to leave me behind . . . and did on the flats but I'd catch him on the hills. And we both were laughing like little kids as we dropped down the hills . . . ain't life grand!
Old 08-28-06, 10:48 PM
Bent Ryder

Bikes: Bachetta Agio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What a neat day for you! I can't wait until my Granddaughter can handle her 2 wheeler a little better. Your ride beat my ride hands down. Way to Go Granpa!
Old 08-29-06, 08:06 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Great. great story. Thanks for sharing..............