Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mtn Bike as a Trainer

OK, a couple of years ago I bought a roadie just for my trainer. That is my 3rd bike. But, I have been riding the roadie during the years as my "utility road bike" and love riding it outside. I also have a Lemond and a mtn bike.

So, I am thinking of getting another bike for my trainer "permanently" in the basement. I was considering a mtn bike, and wonder if anyone is using a mtn bike (with slicks) on a trainer and any reactions. I have a mag trainer. I.e, like this bike.

Used mtn bikes tend to be a lot cheaper than roadies, have trigger or grip shifting, and I would also appreciate more of an upright position, as, at age 66, things are getting a bit stiff.

Or, how about a hybrid?

Any thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I own a Mt. Bike that I don't use all that much. So I use that on my trainer w/ slicks. Works fine - gearing is a little different but the price was right! I'm now going to look for another wheel w/ another cogset so I don't have to switch tires (a PITA).

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now hopefully your trainer uses rollers. All you have to do is glue a couple of bits of 2x1 on the rollers and you will get the real experience of offroading while sitting on the trainer.

Having just got the Road bike- I will agree about that more upright position. If you are going to keep it permanently on the rollers- then any bike you can ride on for an hour will do. If you managed to get cheap road bike in a garage sale.Then you can ride on top of the bars -or the hoods- or the drops. Or all 3 in an exercise period. All you have to do is set the bike up to feel comfortable and go and pedal away for 30 minutes at a time. As long as you don't do a Will and sit on it for 6 Hours at a time- any bike will do.

Then again- If you do get a respectable Offroad bike, you may get the inclination to go out and get it muddy. So all that setting up again on the rollers after you have washed the thing down.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Kona Unit single-speed Frankenbike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a trainer, I don't know that it would matter. For urban aerobics, I love my new MTB. I have only a few days' riding experience with it, but so far, so good. If you can get the comfort you want with a MTB frame, I see no reason whatsoever not to put one on a trainer, especially since MTBs seem to offer better quality for the $$ than do road bikes. The $350 Specialized Rockhopper I just got has nice trigger shifters, very effective V-brakes, and good quality (though not light) components. Offhand, I can't think of any road bike for comprable prices that would offer as good a quality overall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an old fully rigid Rockhopper with slicks that I've dedicated to my trainer. You could probably find one for $50 at a garage sale or in a trash bin for free.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all. I have my eye open for a mtn bike!