Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 08-30-06, 05:06 PM   #1
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I learned something today

I put Miss Lightweight in the shop yesterday. I was hearing a loud crack in the front of the bike when I'd hit a bump with the front wheel pretty hard and going along at a pretty fast speed. I had inspected the frame and fork repeatedly but never saw anything suspicious. However, I had never removed the fork and inspected the steerer tube. I really trust these guys and wanted a second opinion.

They removed the fork and looked at everything and didn't find any issues. What I was hearing was probably the shifters opening and closing very quickly and making a loud cracking or whacking sound. My LBS guy said the Shimano shifters were known to do that. I'll certainly listen for that in mind in the future.

At least now I'll have a little more piece of mind when screaming down a hill at 40-50 mph not worrying about the front fork collapsing on me.........too many other things to worry about!!!!
jppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-06, 08:44 PM   #2
Grampy™
Geezer Member

Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yup, I've had 'em that did that. It was kind of annoying at first but I got used to it.... at least till this post.....
Old 08-30-06, 09:24 PM   #3
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day
Quote:
Originally Posted by jppe
I put Miss Lightweight in the shop yesterday...
That's MS Lightweight to you, buddy!
Old 08-31-06, 07:19 AM   #4
NOS88

Bikes:
Sometimes I think having a hearing loss is a blessing. I simply don't hear those noises. On the other hand, I've recently had a frame fail on me....so... OK, I guess it is prudent to check out loud noises when you hear them... just wish I could hear more of the noises my bikes make. Of course my less than "kind to their old man" kids would say, "Dad, everytime you get on one of your bikes, it groans."

I think it was wise to have the shop look into it. A second or third set of skilled eyes never hurts!
Old 08-31-06, 07:35 AM   #5
will dehne

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
Quote:

At least now I'll have a little more piece of mind when screaming down a hill at 40-50 mph not worrying about the front fork collapsing on me.........too many other things to worry about!!!!
40-50 MPH screaming down hill? Not this guy! I have serious problems with anything over 35. Too many bad pavements, sand, oil and other unexpected obstacles. This assumes roads not traveled before.
I admire you, but no thank you.
will dehne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-06, 09:07 AM   #6
p8rider

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
I had noted the same sound on my 5200. Always on a nasty little road crack on a pretty good hill. I have looked and looked for a CF split or break but never found anything. Glad you looked further jppe I can be a little more at ease now.
p8rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-06, 09:17 AM   #7
Monoborracho

Bikes: Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Soma Saga
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by will dehne
40-50 MPH screaming down hill? Not this guy! I have serious problems with anything over 35. Too many bad pavements, sand, oil and other unexpected obstacles. This assumes roads not traveled before.
I admire you, but no thank you.
+1
Old 08-31-06, 09:47 PM   #8
Cycler

Bikes: Four and one experimental bike.
I got seriously threatened by a cop here in New Zealand for motor pacing behind a bus while going downhill at just on 80m Ks an hour. My theory is simply this: If you fall off at any speed faster than running speed it is going to hurt, so falling at speed is only a matter of amount of hurt. If it is going to hurt any way, why not make it a hurt that at least will make the sunday papers?
The cop seriously questioned my reasoning powers on that one, never saw the funny side of it at all, all hung up on mundane things like road safety and the like, poor bloke.Even went as far as reckoning I was insane!! Told him I had been riding for over 5 years and had been insane for years before getting on the bike. he said it showed. He finally said that the only reason he was not going to give me a ticket was cause he could not find anything to book me for (No regulations on speeding bikes evidentally) I still remember the adrenalin rush though, not that it would have helped if anything had actually gone wrong.
I am a little slower on that particular hill now though (He may have found something to book me for)
Cheers
Cycler.
Cycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-06, 09:24 AM   #9
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Bikes:
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I put Miss Lightweight in the shop yesterday. I was hearing a loud crack in the front of the bike when I'd hit a bump with the front wheel pretty hard and going along at a pretty fast speed. I had inspected the frame and fork repeatedly but never saw anything suspicious.
I've had a frame come apart on me. It was silent. It was just that I noticed that the frame seemed to be soft and a few moments later I notice that the bicycle was getting lower. The downtube had separated from the bottom bracket.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-06, 09:30 AM   #10
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artkansas
I've had a frame come apart on me. It was silent. It was just that I noticed that the frame seemed to be soft and a few moments later I notice that the bicycle was getting lower. The downtube had separated from the bottom bracket.
Yikes!! What was the frame material?
jppe is offline   Reply With Quote