User Tag List

My Bikes
    1974 Huffy 3 speed
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recreation vs Transportation

Wondering how the 50+ group deals with this cycling issue. I commute 14 miles a day to my job and I ride about 50-60 miles a day on the weekend. I'd like to think I may be able to keep my car in the driveway, but I more than occasionally use it when I am just to tired to bike.

For example, trips to the grocery store. I live only 1/2 mile away, but I very often just drive there...because I'm too pooped. Largely because I spend all weekend on the trails. I've even reduced my weekend trips a little so I would have enough energy to bike to work on Monday.

Do you run into this? Which is more important for you... recreation or transportation?

My Bikes
    2010 Allegra 2X
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me,

it's recreation, I go out and ride for the ride. Would love to ride to/from work, but 7 of the 10 miles is a busy, busy 4 lane road.

We do ride up to flowertown for lunch, or out for an icecream.
    2010 Jamis Allegra 2X
    God loves you, and God loves me, Even if I do cause his over time!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My transportation is my recreation too
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

just over the next hill cruzMOKS's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both, but the recreation has to be there. If it wasn’t fun I wouldn’t cycle. Now that I am
    taking it easy because of a leg tendon pull I have misgivings about losing my
    conditioning.
    Enjoy the ride.
    Bianchi Volpe 2006; Fuji Tahoe 1990

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    gery,

I guess I'm the flip side of you. Alll my riding is transportation, and I rarely use my bike on weekends or my car during the week. I live in an area where parking is scarce, and it always seems like much more work to drive when all I have to do is hop on the bike.

It's hard for me to imagine riding as pure recreation.. Reading this forum, I've often wondered about this. Maybe it is because I grew up before cycling was recognized as a sport in this country and have never changed that mindset. Although riding is fun, a bike has always seemed to be a sort of open car that is unaffected by congestion and for which one can always find a parking spot.

Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep my car at the office so that I can ride to and from on my bike. Use the car to transport the bike home on weekends, then, park the car and use the bike exclusively on weekends both for errands and for recreation. Long rides are quite a lot of fun to me, but making my best sprint to the Office Max for cartridges or to the bike shop for patch kits, etc really makes me feel good about myself - and it keeps me in shape, too.

Biking has helped me get much better conditioned - right now, I'm feeling great. Fortunately, I love cycling. If I didn't, I don't know what I would do to stay in shape. I hate most other forms of exercising, and I love to eat.

Caruso

My Bikes
    1974 Huffy 3 speed
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulH
    It's hard for me to imagine riding as pure recreation.. Reading this forum, I've often wondered about this. Maybe it is because I grew up before cycling was recognized as a sport in this country and have never changed that mindset. Although riding is fun, a bike has always seemed to be a sort of open car that is unaffected by congestion and for which one can always find a parking spot.
    Paul, too bad more folks don't see it your way. But your viewpoint is definitely not the norm, at least here in the MidWest. Most people see the bicycle as a form of recreation and would rather drive the car to work, stores, etc. Few people commute, but many, many go riding on their bikes after work. I've always found it a bit odd to see the trailhead parking lots full of vehicles. As much as possible (and it usually is possible...), I cycle to the trailhead.

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Instead of riding one of my normal routes today I just went "that a way". Just bumped around town while my car was getting worked on.... it was fun beating cars through traffic. Unfortunately I have to run to many errands at work to bike to work. (Bank and accountant across town)
    Carpe who?

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I commute so I can ride. That said I like to at least ride one century and have to prepare for it. There's something for leaving early, getting in an additional 30 miles, and arriving just a couple hours later than normal.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is starting to bleed over into "other" forum jurisdicitons...but I still think it is a fascinating topic. I would use my bike for transportation and recreation if I were a person living alone.

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dauphin
    I would use my bike for transportation and recreation if I were a person living alone.
    I live by myself (although I spend a lot of time at my girlfriend's), and my cardinal rule is:

Unless I absolutely have to use the car due to distance/time constraints or amount of stuff to carry, I'll use the bike.

So my car normally just sits in the carport all week. The only time it gets used is to take the track bike to and from the track, and to transport the tandem to our starting point and return. From time to time it also makes a Costco run. But for getting to work, forget it. My commuting ride is training and recreation, and I often stretch the ride on the way home. Only a fool would drive their car to work in Vancouver; all the roads become parking lots during rush hour, and I can never understand how people can put up with it! Sometimes in the winter the car sits for so long that when I do take it out, I can hear the rust buildup being worn off the disk rotors when I first touch the brakes.

-L.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put about 2000 miles on my car a year (most in winter). I live 12 miles from work and go in about six days a week. I ride to work and back in almost any weather (combinations or strong wind and other elements might make me drive on a particular day). I ride for recreation and transportation. There is a lot of stores near where I live so I can walk too.

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recreation. I would love to be able to bike commute but at 44 miles one way, that's out of the question. One of the problems with working in high tech in the Boston area is that you can't afford to live were you work and even if you did move chances are the job only lasts <5 years and your next one is a long commute in the opposite direction.
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At this time of my life, its purely recreation. I have tried many times, but in my line of work (various environmental and engineering consulting) I most always need to have a car on a moment's notice and have to take equipment to jobs, go pick up plans, this and that. Seems that in this 'information age" its also become the age of I needed this yesterday and was too busy to get to it, so can you hurry up and do it today for me". That make using the bike for general transportation difficult at best.
    Last edited by howsteepisit; 08-31-06 at 03:59 PM.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

My Bikes
    Douglas Precision Ti
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I almost always use my bikes for recreation. I sweat like crazy and even a three mile ride to the grocery has me in such a lather that I don't care to be around civilized people.
    Wag more, bark less

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, I bike primarily for exercise which I believe is recreation? At one time I did live in a location were I could bike commute and I wish I still could but the traffic would be way too dangerous. As for shopping and chores, I only have one bike with SPD-SL pedals and I guess I'm too lazy to deal with swapping shoes on/off. Besides I drive a 350Z roadster when I am not on my bike and I really enjoy the car!
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live 30+ miles from my job and it is an impractical commute, so I have to drive to work and then ride in the evenings and weekends. I envy you guys who can commute on the bike. I would love to be car free.
    "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." --General George S. Patton

Best regards,

Duhhuh