User Tag List

Thread: First Ride

Jerseymike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Ride

Just started into biking. Decided that I need a little more excercise than just walking the golf course (and I do walk. Don't take a cart unless they force you to take one). Knowing my past, I decided to start with nothing too expensive but didn't want to go to a Big Box store (based on the various posts). Got a Trek 820 at my LBS and took it out for my first ride last night. It is addicting. Rode about 10 miles. Lots of trails in the Will County, IL area, and it is very easy to get lost in your ride. I had to remind myself that I also needed to get back to the place I started from. But all that aside, it was great. My rear is a little sore today, but if that's all I have to worry about, I'll live with it. Looking forward to a nice weekend and several more rides along the I&M canal.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, man. Are you ever in for it now. You already play golf with takes lots of time, and now cycling, which also takes lots of time. You're right about it being very easy to get lost in a ride. In fact, there are those of us here who are so lost in our rides that we may never make it back. Welcome to the wonderful world of cycling!
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent and welcome!!

My first ride was also about 10-12 miles on a Trek 800. That was 6 years ago. Let's see, I'm now on my 6th bike and have about 20,000+ miles behind me. And I thought a Trek 800 was all the bike I'd ever need!!

I hope you continue to get as much enjoyment from riding that many of us here do.

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome. I gave up golf this year so i could spend more time cycling. At least with cycling it really does not get that much more expensive ass you increase your rides. Well other that tires and wear and tear, but that's pretty low cost if you don't get into high end racing stuff.

Have a great ride!
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    Excellent and welcome!!

My first ride was also about 10-12 miles on a Trek 800. That was 6 years ago. Let's see, I'm now on my 6th bike and have about 20,000+ miles behind me. And I thought a Trek 800 was all the bike I'd ever need!!

I hope you continue to get as much enjoyment from riding that many of us here do.
    Oh yeah-I've played golf for 40+ years and still enjoying toting the bag as well when they will let me. Maybe we can get out and chase it around sometime!

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the group, Jerseymike. The 820 is a great steel frame entry level MTB. Don't be afraid to some rough stuff when you get more experience, you will never kill that frame. But, then you will need a fast road bike, then a better hardtail, then a full suspension MTB, then a relaxed geometry road bike, then a ....
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    Excellent and welcome!!

My second bike was a Trek 820 and as a starter bike are pretty good. I bought mine in 92 though and I knew taht it was not going to be my main bike. Bikes in those days were heavy.

Welcome to the world of retaining the fitness you still have- and if you cycle enough- getting some of the lost bit back. Watch out though- cycling is addictive and can seriously damage your wallet. Stay with the trek untill it will not do what you want it to- then keep it for a further 20 years as a second bike.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2010 Allegra 2X
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome.

10 miles rides can add up to a lot of fun!

Keep em rolling!
    2010 Jamis Allegra 2X
    God loves you, and God loves me, Even if I do cause his over time!

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to da Ward......
    Carpe who?

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you checked your temperature today? I'll be you've already got "the upgrade-or-new-bike" fever. Welcome to the group.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the group. It is addictive!, don't say you weren't warned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Luke, you must not be tempted by the Dark Side. Stay on pavement.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear JerseyMike is the new DeeGee...
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JerseyMike.....don't be put off by theses hardcore dudes. Not all of their wives have left them yet because they insisted on sleeping with their bikes. Welcome to our equivalent of the corner bar...BF50Plus. You'll have to learn about Pie, Birthday Rides, and Digital Gee. You'll meet the Diego family or horde or whatever. You'll learn what a British "bun" is and how you don't have to stop riding in Winter as long as you're a little crazy.

Keep posting.....lots of these people have a good mix of experience and common sense....and, fortunately or maybe not, are more than, make that MORE THAN, happy to share it.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossChain
    JerseyMike.....don't be put off by theses hardcore dudes. Not all of their wives have left them yet because they insisted on sleeping with their bikes. Welcome to our equivalent of the corner bar...BF50Plus. You'll have to learn about Pie, Birthday Rides, and Digital Gee. You'll meet the Diego family or horde or whatever. You'll learn what a British "bun" is and how you don't have to stop riding in Winter as long as you're a little crazy.

Keep posting.....lots of these people have a good mix of experience and common sense....and, fortunately or maybe not, are more than, make that MORE THAN, happy to share it.
    For God's sake....learn what cross chaining is and how to avoid it at all costs!

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JerseyMike, I assume you must own the Sub Sandwich chain. At least on this part of the east coast you must be able to ride, stop into any one of the outlets and have a nice fresh sandwich. Lucky Guy!

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jerseymike, Welcome to the forum.
    Good choice for your first bike. We have a 2002 Trek 820 at our house and it has been a reliable performer. It's capable on trails, comfortable on the road and excellent on gravel paths.
    My experience is similiar to yours. While I enjoyed returning to cycling, the first time I rode a mountain trail, I was hooked. As for your bike seat, it does take some time, a month or two to get used to riding a bike. However, we did change the seat on our 2002 Trek 820. It's the ONLY upgrade we made to that bike. Your bike has a Bontrager seat that is better than the seat we had. Keep us posted about your rides.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

Do I use too many commas?
    My Bikes
    Giant Yukon SE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New bike. Must have new bike. Help me someone please!

Welcome Jerseymike!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Run away!!!

Don't say I didn't warn you.

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    I hear JerseyMike is the new DeeGee...
    Naaaaaaaa.......he seems real nice.
    Carpe who?

Jerseymike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the welcome and your encouragement (and warnings). Went out again today, did the same trail plus and additional 2-3 miles. Still plenty of trails in this part of Illinois to explore and the weather was great for a ride today. Legs felt it a bit more, but I expected that. The seat upgrade may not be a bad idea. I did send for an inexpensive cyclocomputer to get a better idea of my speeds, time and distances as well. Working in learning about shifting gears as well. Who knows. One of these days I may actually participate in a ride.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossChain
    JerseyMike.....You'll meet the Diego family or horde or whatever.
    Hey yo! Mikey my man! Howzit hangin' my brother? Spent a little time on the Jersey side of the Hudson when i was a-hanign' with Dino, Sammy and Sinatra back in the late 50's!

How the hell did you end up in Illinois? Probably the same way I ended up in San Diego!

My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Trucker, Giant Cypress DX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Jersey Mike, Greetings from the south 'burbs.

Glad you're enjoying the I&M Canal. Which section(s) are you riding?

If you're looking for other people to ride with or other routes in Chicago's Southland, check out Folks on Spokes ... an active club that meets monthly in Flossmoor, Trip schedules and info at http://www.folksonspokes.com/