I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tire Rotation

When I swapped out my tires recently on the MTB, putting the knobbies back on, I was careful to make sure the tire rotation arrow was lined up correctly, but that got me to thinking:

If one installs tires with the tire rotation backwards, what happens? Does the bike now have 27 speeds in reverse? Does the rider begin age regression?

Seriously -- is the rider in peril because the tires are on backwards?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not sure about the age regression thing but I'm almost certain a negative gravity field gets activated

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I put on last set, one is on right and the other is backwards. On mine, backwards means the thread is not optimal. Probably have just a small effect on the ride. Spending 15 minutes to set the tire properly hasn't hummed yet. but thanks for the reminder, I do need to do this.
    Hi 'o Silver away

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With MTB I usually put the rear tire with the rotation arrow in correct position to get better grip, and the front tire with the arrow in "reverse" to get better braking
    A California ordinance states that a $500 fine will be given to anyone who detonates a nuclear device within city limits.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now on an MTB tyre-the tread is directional. The front tyre is normally set up to give better rolling with less drag, but still gives steering stability. The rear tyre is normally set up to give traction in all the mud and over rocks.
    Only thing is that it only comes into effect at speed offroad on the front tyre and in aggressive type terrain on the rear. I just imagine you putting the tyres on the wrong way round and you having an excuse for your next off on the bike. "I was going so fast that when I hit the dirt on the sidewalk the front tyre washed out" Or "I was putting the power in up the hill and the rear tyre just lost grip completetly"

What sort of Tarmac do you ride on?
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [Feeling a little "high" after a pink and blue, mother of pearl sky early, early morning ride]:

Only single guys are allowed to rotate tires and women to prolong wear. Married riders, unfortunately, are stuck with tires and wives which must be kept in place until they sag, go flat, and become no longer rideable. Periodically check for wear patterns in key areas. And good luck!
    Last edited by CrossChain; 09-02-06 at 12:18 PM.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As others have said, there is a reason for the specific rotation patterns. It probably would make some difference... just how much likely depends on the level of performance you need to get from your tires. If it were me, I'd switch 'em just in the case that this is the one event that will send the universe into a fatal contraction. Also, the folks at the LBS might think you're less of a newbie if your tires are on correctly...
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Older I get, Better I was velonomad's Avatar
    My Bikes
    a bunch of them, most made by me, a couple made by others
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    When I swapped out my tires recently on the MTB, putting the knobbies back on, I was careful to make sure the tire rotation arrow was lined up correctly, but that got me to thinking:

If one installs tires with the tire rotation backwards, what happens? Does the bike now have 27 speeds in reverse? Does the rider begin age regression?

Seriously -- is the rider in peril because the tires are on backwards?
    Once I played a country music record backwards, My wife came back, My dog came back and the bank gave me back my truck. My MTB doesn't seem to care much which way I mount the tires it still tries to kill me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have arrows on them?
    "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." --General George S. Patton

Best regards,

Duhhuh

My Bikes
    Mongoose Crossway 850, upgraded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossChain
    [Feeling a little "high" after a pink and blue, mother of pearl sky early, early morning ride]:

Only single guys are allowed to rotate tires and women to prolong wear. Married riders, unfortunately, are stuck with tires and wives which must be kept in place until they sag, go flat, and become no longer rideable. Periodically check for wear patterns in key areas. And good luck!
    Thank you fot that......
    ~David

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88
    Also, the folks at the LBS might think you're less of a newbie if your tires are on correctly...
    #1 embarrasing moment as a newbie. I put a set of Hutchinson Scorpions on my old Nishiki, the first improvement I made to my first, used MTB. Brought it to the LBS complaining about something, I can't rememeber what. First thing the mechanic says is, it might ride better if you put the tires on so they rotate as designed. I shrunk down as far as I could and slithered out the door, Nishiki in hand with the tires causing it to jump up and down as each knobbie hit the ground.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossChain
    ... allowed to rotate tires ... to prolong wear. ...
    I practice and recommend rotating automobile tires, but it is NOT a good idea with bicycle tires. Instead, when the rear tire wears out first, I move the former front tire to the rear and install a new tire on the front, which I believe is what Sheldon recommends, as well, for safety reasons.

On this morning's ride I encountered a chap who had just blown a hole through his front sidewall. He told me had actually kept the bike upright through the blowout and despite hitting a patch of dirt on the road, but it was an adventure he was not keen to repeat any time soon. Always put your best/healthiest tire on the front.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CrossChain does not suggest rotating tires (other than in silly posts) for the same reasons John E. gives above. My worn tires go on the wheel I use on my trainer...which burns there remainng life out quite efficiently and safely in my garage. Bike tires are too relatively cheap and long lasting to squeeze out the last riskily usable micron of tread.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)