Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

62 and Oregon Coast ride

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

62 and Oregon Coast ride

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-06, 01:53 PM

Bikes: Cannondale ST600

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
62 and Oregon Coast ride

For a long time, I've dreamed of biking the West coast, from top to bottom. But, since I can't shut my small business that long, I've decided to bike the Oregon Coast.

I'm heading out on Wednesday (Sept 6) for what will be, I guess, a 7- or 8-day ride. My wife will drive and meet me every night at campgrounds. I'm kinda looking for anyone who lives along the Oregon Coast and who has time, to join me for part of the trip.

I find that several hours on a bike without a companion isn't ideal. Nice to have someone to ride with. My wife just doesn't want to bike that much, so she'll be SAG wagon, so to speak.

I'm planning on overnights at Fort Stevens, Nehalem Bay, Cape Lookout, Agate Beach, Jessie M. Honeyman State Park, Sunset Bay, & Humbug Mountain. All state parks except for a motel at Agate Beach, north of Newport.

This trip may not be a big deal for most of you here, but it is for me. I just don't ride that much, except I've put 2500 miles on my bike since Spring of a year ago.
Old 09-02-06, 01:58 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Ooo. Ooo. Ooo. I wanna go! I can't, but I wanna. Have a great ride. I hope you find some folks to ride along with you. Take Butt Butter of some kind. We expect a full report, with pictures, upon completion. Good luck.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 09-02-06, 02:02 PM
Badger Biker

Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wish I could join you. Some friends and I did that ride in 1993 in mid-September and it was WONDERFUL! We stayed at the camp grounds you mentioned with two nights in a motel in Newport where we took a day off. The weather was fantastic with only one foggy morning. We had a friend drive a van carrying our stuff from campground to campground. The route is well maked and easy to follow. It is one of the best rides in the US in my opinion. Have fun!
Old 09-02-06, 02:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I might add that I've set up a blog at www.artshotwell.com/oregon_bike_blog. I'm hoping there's WiFi access and will try adding something every day from either a PDA or my laptop. Art
Old 09-02-06, 03:03 PM

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a great ride!! Enjoy!
Old 09-02-06, 04:35 PM
Ol' Paint

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Grand Prix,'71 Schwinn Super Sport, '73 Schwinn Paramount, '83 Schwinn Super Sport, '84(?) Univega Gran Sprint, '89 Schwinn Waterford Paramount

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Biking the Oregon coast! The most exciting ride we have around here is the Hotter'n Hell Hundred. My jealousy goes beyond green to embrace the full spectrum of the rainbow. Have fun. Stay safe. And occasionally give a thought to those of us who would love to be with you, but can't.
Old 09-02-06, 07:10 PM

Bikes: '08 Scott Addict R4, '09 Habanero Titanium Team Issue, '05 Scattante XRL, Mid 80's Titan Italian Steel, Trek 400 Elance, Trek 540 Touring Series, 80's Nishiki Single Speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Art,

I will be leaving Seattle on Sept. 9, with a group of riders doing the Big Ride Pacific Coast with the American Lung Association of Washingtom. We will be on the Oregon Coast starting Sept. 11 and will be staying in State Campgrounds all the way down the coast. Look, for the biggest smile, because it will be mine. Our first night in Oregon will be at Nehalem Bay State Park, day 2, will be at Devil's Lake State Park where we will take a day off. We will be at Honeyman on the 14th. Hopefully we will be able meet and ride together. If, you would like to see the whole route, go to www.alaw.org, click on the Big Ride, then on Pacific Coast.
Old 09-03-06, 12:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It looks like you all will be several days behind me. It looks like I'll be driving back north and will pass your group on 9/13 or 9/14. Be sure I'll look for you. I hope you all have a great time. That trip sounds like it would be a lot of fun.
Old 09-03-06, 10:11 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last time I was on that ride, three of us stayed in a private campground across from the cheese factory in Tilamook. It worked out better than using the closest state park.

P.S., was Ft. Stevens that blustery little bluff on the cliffs with no facilities?
Old 09-03-06, 11:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm finding state parks are fairly full up. I have booked a tent site at Fort Stevens SP, yurts at Newhalem Bay & Cape Lookout, a motel at Newport, and a tent site at Honeyman SP. Will play last few days as I go. Thanks for the tip. Couple friends had also recommended KOAs.
Old 09-03-06, 01:40 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Now this sort of ride would be my dream type of ride. I do not like riding on consecutive days due to pain on the second and subsequent days. But then I am a mountain biker and 50 miles or more for 8 days will hurt me.

But now I have a road bike. Have not done many long rides on it but Road riding distances is a lot easier than Offroading, I could see myself doing this sort of ride- especially with the sag wagon not too distant and the idea of camping every night in a sensible sized tent with a well prepared home cooked meal every night.

Wish you well on the ride- but pics will be necessary and hope you have the perfect weather to enjoy what could be a perfect ride. Just remember that this ride of yours would not be able to take place without the co-operation of a very understanding and fantastic wife. Hope you take her for a meal at least one of the nights, (And we want pics of the pie aswell)

Spike Milligan
Old 09-03-06, 01:44 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
While I can't be there in person, I'll definitely be there in spirit. You've described another one of the items left on my list of cycling things to do.
Old 09-04-06, 04:16 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been up and down the Oregon coast by car. Very beautiful but traffic can be heavy. Be careful of civilians in those rented Drive America rv camper trucks. Be sure to have some kind of mirror. And don't let those little 12 year old crazy muchachos run out and put a yellow bumper sticker on your bike as you pass Sea Lion Caves in Florence. Half of BF probably envies you.....so, posted pics are a must do.
Old 09-14-06, 10:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update: I did it! I rode along the Oregon Coast in 7 days. 389 miles. This is great for me. At age 62 I reallhy doubted I'd be able to climb the notoriously steep Oregon hills. But, I got up all of them. And, in the process I met some fascinating cyclists, saw some spectacular scenery, watched ocean waves batter the Oregon coast and felt better about myself, too. By the end of the trip, though, my rear was so sore and tired.

I rode for two days with Robert & Catherine of England, who were on their trek from Vancouver, BC to the Mexico border. And, rode for awhile with John and Burt, two Chicagoans doing a bit of credit card camping on their recumbent bikes. And, met Randy & Nancy, who are en route from the Arctic Circle to Patagonia.

I'm still trying to add to my blog at artshotwell.com/oregon_bike_blog.

Oh, driving back north along the coast, I passed at least another 50 cyclists doing the same thing.
Old 09-14-06, 10:26 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Art.........went to your blog and checked it out. Big Congratulations on a sort of "total life" experience. Meeting the couple going from Arctic Circle to Patagonia. Whoa! But what you did was equally impressive and damned gratifying for sure. Feeling a bit youthful, hey! Where next?
Old 09-14-06, 11:12 PM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Art Shotwell
Update: I did it! I rode along the Oregon Coast in 7 days. 389 miles. ...

I rode for two days with Robert & Catherine of England, who were on their trek from Vancouver, BC to the Mexico border.
What a small world. Prior to taking on my current job (provincial sales tax auditor), I was working as a wrench at a local bike shop. One of my jobs was assembling bikes, and I think I may have assembled Robert & Catherine's bikes. Were they Canadian-made Devinci hybrids? We had a special order for two Oslos or Stockholms with racks and fenders. It normally takes just over an hour to properly assemble a bike out of the box, and adding the rack and fenders added almost another hour to each bike. We also had to spend some time tightening the wheels on the larger of the bikes; it came with some fancy spoking, with spokes grouped in fours, but the front wheel was really loose.

I was informed that the bikes would be picked up on September 3 or 4, and that the couple was going to ride down the coast to Mexico, and then take the bikes back to England. I hope all our adjustments and tuning held up...

BTW, I just love riding in Oregon. If I hadn't just started a new job, I'd be down for my annual holiday in Seaside for a week with my tandem and a girlfriend. I love riding in the hills near the coast, and walking along the beach amidst the roar of the surf and the haunting cries of the seagulls. I have so many good memories all along the Oregon coast, from Astoria to Florence and around Bandon. (But avoid Coos Bay, a place completely removed from the character of the rest of the coast...)

- L.
Old 09-15-06, 05:15 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
WOW, what a great trip.

The Oregon Coast is on my wife's and my list, although we will likely to and auto trip with our bikes in the car for side trips and whatever.

My hat (helmet?) is off to you.
Old 09-15-06, 06:36 AM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Looks like you had a great trip. I'm envious. What kind of bike?
Old 09-15-06, 07:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To answer a couple of you: My bike is a Trek 520. My wife doing SAG kept it light. Robert & Catherine were riding a Trek 1000 tandem, with a Bob trailer, bought in Chilliwack, BC. Yup, this is one of my life's highlight experiences. Where to go next...hmmm... dunno yet.
Old 09-15-06, 04:55 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Fabulous pictures. The whole thing sounds just great. I'm jealous. If you are looking for a longer ride in the same time, but with maximum support, look at www.aidslifecycle.org. I will be doing it for the third year in 2007. About 560 miles from SF to LA. Another great experience for you.

Congratulations on your trip and a tip of the helmet to your wife for such great support.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades