Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Wild turkey and riding

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Wild turkey and riding

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-06, 09:09 PM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Wild turkey and riding

Nah, I don't drink and ride. But was riding just around dark tonight and had two separate incidents with turkeys. The first was almost a close call - one adult and several young-uns were on the right side of the road, the other adult was on the left side and decided to join the others as I was approaching at a good speed. He took to flight at the last second and saved us both from possible injuries. A few minutes later there were 4 adults that I saw well in advance.

More than 6 Wild Turkeys while riding and I still got home safely -- that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 08-27-06, 09:20 PM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't try feeding them...

You might search BF for "Don't Feed The Swans"
Old 08-28-06, 02:55 PM
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
I think there's been a huge increase in the turkey population all over lately. Up to a couple of years ago I had never seen one around here, and a couple of weeks ago I ended up being chased by one while out running. I don't know what he would have done if he'd caught me, but he was right behind me for quite a distance before giving up the chase. I'm sure that anyone who saw me would have been laughing their a$$ off!
Old 08-28-06, 03:20 PM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
almost a close call

I like that...

Get the micrometer out... we need to figure out if this is a close call, or only "almost a close call"

BTW - Where are you (and DougG) from? I don't even know what the range of the wild turkey is... Since I have moved to the east coast, I wonder if I am almost close to the right neighborhood.

Just kidding...

Actually I am curious about the area, because I have never seen a turkey in the wild, but rode by a turkey farm last week... it made me wonder.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 08-28-06, 03:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I topped a hill the other evening and two fawns and a doe were standing at the edge of the road. One of the fawns was suckling, The mom and one of the fawns went one way and the other fawn went the other. About the time I got to where they were, you guessed it, the lone fawn darted across the rode to the side her mom was on. I had to brake pretty hard to keep from running over the little one. You really gotta watch em.
Old 08-28-06, 03:36 PM
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
Yesterday morning just after sunrise I had to slow down so that 2 adult wild turkeys and a large number of young ones (perhaps 10?) could finish crossing the road. I don't worry too much about them or the turkey vultures who are smart enough to get out of the way. The sandhill cranes, on the other hand, are sometimes very stupid. I've ridden close enough to them that I could have slapped them as I rode on by. I'd hate to hit one of them at speed for various reasons, not the least of which is self-preservation.

That reminds me of something that I saw on a ride over twenty years ago and it has something to do with wild turkeys. Way back when Ben Franklin wanted the wild turkey to be the American Bird and not the Bald Eagle. While the Bald Eagle does fish, it is also a carrion eater. Apparently this one poor unfortunate eagle was dining on a fairly quiet road near where I live and was hit by a Sheriff's Deputy cruiser and killed a few minutes before I rode my bike on by on an otherwise beautiful Saturday morning. That poor deputy had the dead eagle on the trunk of his cruiser and I am sure that he was looking at a mountain of paperwork to fill up the rest of his weekend.

Just so you know, Bald Eagles are pretty common where I live. I have even seen them perching in my yard and I know places where you are almost guarenteed to see them.
Old 08-28-06, 03:40 PM
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by wolf_river_mike
I topped a hill the other evening and two fawns and a doe were standing at the edge of the road. One of the fawns was suckling, The mom and one of the fawns went one way and the other fawn went the other. About the time I got to where they were, you guessed it, the lone fawn darted across the rode to the side her mom was on. I had to brake pretty hard to keep from running over the little one. You really gotta watch em.
I've just got to know this: Does your screen name refer to the Wolf River in Wisconsin? I've rafted the part in the Menominee Reservation a large number of times and open canoeed (sp?) the part just above that as well. Now I live too far away to enjoy that.
Old 08-28-06, 03:46 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Nah, I don't drink and ride. But was riding just around dark tonight and had two separate incidents with turkeys. The first was almost a close call - one adult and several young-uns were on the right side of the road, the other adult was on the left side and decided to join the others as I was approaching at a good speed. He took to flight at the last second and saved us both from possible injuries. A few minutes later there were 4 adults that I saw well in advance.

More than 6 Wild Turkeys while riding and I still got home safely -- that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
I was out the other morning riding with my son and as we're descending a hill at around 35mph, a family (6-8 of them) of wild turkeys races out into the road. I hit the brakes hard, and they eventually scattered. Clueless birds!!

I kept thinking "how am I going to explain to my wife that I got dropped and hospitalized by TURKEYS!!"
Old 08-28-06, 04:00 PM
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Little Darwin

BTW - Where are you (and DougG) from? I don't even know what the range of the wild turkey is... Since I have moved to the east coast, I wonder if I am almost close to the right neighborhood.
I live about 20 miles north of Detroit, in an area that is very suburban and developed, but still lots of woods in the area. When we first built our house 20-some years ago, there was little wildlife that we directly saw. In the last few years, on my early morning runs I have seen not only wild turkeys, but foxes, minks, and even a coyote. Plus the usual varmints: skunk, raccoon, porcupine, opossum. And don't even mention the #@!% deer! My county leads the state in deer-car collisions, and they have done a number on my wife's flower and vegetable garden.

I haven't had many encounters while biking because I just started doing more riding this year and haven't done it much in the early hours.
Old 08-28-06, 05:18 PM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Originally Posted by Little Darwin
BTW - Where are you (and DougG) from?
I'm just west of St. Louis in an area where there are several "wilderness reservations". I don't consider myself to live near the "wilderness" but the large tracts of undeveloped land are very nice and conducive to low traffic roads.

I think one reason Ben wanted the turkey as the national bird was that its range was virtually the entire lower 48 (less desert areas & high mountains).
Old 08-28-06, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
My brother is a die hard turkey hunter. He does his scouting work prior to the season on a mountain bike. According to him, for some reasons the turkeys are less wary of him when he's on the bike vs. just hiking. It must work for him (but not the turkeys), because he gets one every year.
Old 08-31-06, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like that...

Get the micrometer out... we need to figure out if this is a close call, or only "almost a close call"

Is almost smashing into Bambi's mom at 25 mph and when passing the thing slapping it on the rump an "almost a close call" ?
Old 08-31-06, 11:43 AM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I was in a car yesterday and saw a couple of wild turkeys on the median of I-81... So, now I can join the crowd as having seen a wild turkey.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 08-31-06, 11:53 AM
Hardtail

Bikes: Richey Everest, Supercomp, Richey custom handbuilt Road, and others.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had Ben Franklin gotten his way, the National bird would have been the Turkey. I only mention that because that is the extent of my knowledge regarding wild turkeys. And any resemblance to any current political observation is purely coincidental. I have on the other hand had run-ins with peacocks. The only thing funnier than startling a peacock on the trail and having them display for you is to have them turn and run down the trail in front of you.

My favorite trail to take friends on for a little novice night ride is one in the Santa Cruz hills that goes from Black road, off of 17 out to Lake Ranch. The trail skirts the property where a large flock of peacocks live. At dusk just after the sun drops the birds start calling. For the uninitiated it sounds very much like a human sacrifice is taking place just off in the woods as we ride buy. I have had people get off their bikes and go into hysterics right on the spot. The trail is a narrow single track through very dense impenetrable madrone trees and manzanita brush. Caught in the middle of the pack of riders they are trapped with no place to run. After some wine and cheese and reassuring talk at the reservoir the newly initiated calm down and we all have a good laugh.
Old 09-02-06, 11:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Momma and two fawns right out in front of me, truly a close call. Had to hit the brakes hard to keep from hitting them. Had this experience with deer and turkey both several times this year. Hazards of where I live I guess. Beautiful scenery and wildlife to view on the rides, I surely am not complaining.
Old 09-02-06, 12:03 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Don't have turkeys in the Uk, except at Christmas, but we do have pheasants and Partridge. Nothing worse than riding at night and Having a well camoflagged pheasant go up from under your front wheel. If you want to see night life- then get out on the hills at night and use stealth to creep up on the cars in the car parks in the middle of nowhere.

Or as happened to our group once when we came across a group of foreign girl students out on the Hills for a walk -Topless.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-02-06, 02:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been watching 3-4 turkeys out my home office window this afternoon. A doe and 3 fawn will be out later to munch on some apples. Almost took a turkey out the other night on my ride. Had a doe experience a week ago on a back road near home. Was early am and she didn't move until I whistled at her. The closest I've come to going down this summer from a wildlife experience is a woodchuck that darted across the road in front of me. Wouldn't have been pretty for either of us. A few years back a buck almost took me out during a very early am ride.
Old 09-02-06, 08:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mollusk
I've just got to know this: Does your screen name refer to the Wolf River in Wisconsin?
mollusk, I'm in West Tennessee east of Memphis about 40 miles.
Old 09-03-06, 06:56 AM

Bikes: Easy Racers EZ-1 and Lightning Thunderbolt Recumbent Bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
About the only way I would see a wild turkey
in the burbs of Los Angeles is if I had been
drinking or smoking some powerful stuff.

That having been said, I did see a Bob Cat
during the middle of the day about two years
ago on a 60 mile ride through one of the Mtn.
passes here between Glendora Mtn. Road and
Mt. Baldy and back.

And we get our share of Racoons, Skunks and
Possums. My dog Rosie nabs a possum every
summer in my (her) backyard. Usually in the
middle of July for some reason.