Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Success On The Home Front

Last weekend my wife bought a real bike to replace the so-called cruiser which should be called a parker. Living on the west (mountain) side of town real hills couldn't be avoided without driving. Well, all the hills that she was anxious about were mastered and a great time was had. Next step will be overcoming anxiety on downhills but I still remember when I suffered from that.

She got a flat-barred road bike (Giant FCR-3 I think) and put some 'cross tires on it and I think (I try to avoid that) this'll work out well.

motto: start slow, then ease off

My Bikes
    1970s Royal Scot 3-Speed, 2005 Breezer Villager 7-Speed IGH
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you're in for some fun! Last November my wife went from No Bike, and ride-shy after falling twice a couple of years back, to entry-level 7-speed step-through town bike (Raleigh Ventura); within a few weeks she was joining me on my regular 5-mile climb, and this summer we toured together for a week in France. She still rides the brakes on the descents, but considering what she has accomplished I'm ready to cut her all the slack she wants on this.

Of course if she starts dropping me I hope she''ll return the favor...

Ol' Paint
    My Bikes
    90s(?)Bianchi Advantage, '68 Raleigh Grand Prix, 80s(?) Raleigh Gran Sport mixte, '95 Schwinn Clear Creek, '88(?) Fuji, '69 Schwinn Flyer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=head_wind] Next step will be overcoming anxiety on downhills

Hmmm. I seem to remember the west side of Colorado Springs is called Pikes Peak and Ute Pass. Just a little anxiety on the downhills....You betcha.
    Last edited by ticwanos; 09-06-06 at 08:07 AM.