User Tag List

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do I stop the squeaking

of the brooks B17 saddle.I have about 400 miles on the saddle and it started this squeaking and creaking and I was wondering if there was anything I can do to stop it. If I got a bad one maybe I should send it back. I hate to do that because it's starting to feel really good. Thanks George
    George

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think there is a real solution. If you plan to keep it, you can use a pin point oiler and put some oil around the rivets. Not an approved procedure, but I have used it. I have a B67 and a Flyer. The B67 used to squeak but doesn't anymore. Both of those are sprung models.

Also, be sure your saddle is not too high, which can cause squeak when you rock.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have three of B-17s (two were gifts), and I haven't heard a squeak in what's probably a combined 15,000 miles or so.
    Have you rubbed it down with Proofhide, Brooks' leather gunk? Usually you apply that minimally, as little as you can get to spread over the whole surface, once or twice a year. In this case, though, using it on the underside of the saddle, and massaging it in wherever metal touches leather, might help. Brooks is pretty definite about using non-Brooks treatments on those things, which I imagine is mostly hype, but Proofhide works and it doesn't cost any more than any other good leather treatment.
    If you do decide to oil the squeaky places, I'd get something made for leather, like mink or neatsfoot oil, not just whatever's in the can. Obenauf's makes a good leather preservative (same consistency and smell as Proofhide, in fact) and also a good oil. I've used both for years on all kinds of stuff.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used Proofhide about 3 times on it. I was wondering if I worked the heel of my hand all over the saddle if that would work. I really would like to keep this saddle, but The squeaking is really bad. My wife can hear it riding next to me at about 5 feet.
    George

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George McClusky
    I used Proofhide about 3 times on it. I was wondering if I worked the heel of my hand all over the saddle if that would work. I really would like to keep this saddle, but The squeaking is really bad. My wife can hear it riding next to me at about 5 feet.
    Are you sure it's the saddle and not the seatpost? Could there be a crack somewhere?
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

ajf
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    robtown beat me to it. Could also be a very slightly loose connection between the seat post and the saddle or your knees

-a.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had my Flyer squeak around the springs, but can't recall a B17 ever squeaking. I'd look at the clamp.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everybody,I twisted and jumped on the bike. I twisted the handlebars.there it was.I put a riser on the handlebars but I didn't check the handlebars the the LBS put on. I was stupid not to because when I got the bike home after buying it. I was taking it off the rack when the handlebars went one way and the the wheel went the other.I was going to call the bike shop and tell the owner but after dealing with the guy in the service department I knew I wasn't going back. Thanks again,George
    George

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    George: As something to consider in the future, I've found that there are two places that often squeak: the handlebars and clamp and the seat rails and seatpost clamp. I've found that just a spot or two of clear nail polish right at the spots where the clamps make contact will remove squeaks for months on end. Apply the nail polish, wait till it gets sticky (not completely dry) and then tighten everything. Of course, you'll need to make sure the contact points are clean before applying the nail polish.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88
    George: As something to consider in the future, I've found that there are two places that often squeak: the handlebars and clamp and the seat rails and seatpost clamp. I've found that just a spot or two of clear nail polish right at the spots where the clamps make contact will remove squeaks for months on end. Apply the nail polish, wait till it gets sticky (not completely dry) and then tighten everything. Of course, you'll need to make sure the contact points are clean before applying the nail polish.
    I did the same but used Green Marine Grease. It worked.
    I do like the Nail Polish idea, I will try it. Not as messy as Marine Grease. It sticks to everything.

My Bikes
    Rans V2-Catrike Expedition
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took my hearing aids out and my whole bike stopped squeaking

My Bikes
    1996 Klein Pulse Comp with slicks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From women's bike forum:

Here's what Bill (from wallinford bikes, which sells many brooks with an unconditional 6 month guarantee) told me to do:

1. Take the saddle off the bike.
    2. Turn it upside down.
    3. See the threaded bolt thingy? (in the nose) Wiggle it. The end of that bolt is round, and sits in a cup at the very front of the shackle in the nose. It's meant to move freely within the cup.
    4. Did you hear your noise? (it'll be quieter than on the bike, but I heard some of my noise just FINE)
    5. If that made noise, drip oil or smear grease into the edges of the cup/bolt at the very front of the nose. (I used T-9, which is Boeing's version of White Lightning.) It will work its way in.

Next:

6. See the funny silver folded thing just aft of the cup and adjustment nut? See how it folds around the end of the bent rod that is the rails and frame?
    7. Wiggle whatever you can there. (I wiggled the rail).
    8. Did you hear more of your noise? (I didn't.)
    9. Whether you did or not, drip some oil in there anyway. Can't hurt.

Finally:

Put the seat back on the bike. Do some of the stuff that you know made the seat creak before. Is it better? Good. Repeat the above as necessary to make you happy.

Still noisy? Call Bill. Some seats are just noisy, for whatever reason. He will try to help you more specifically over the phone, or replace it.

I was just CERTAIN that the noise was coming from under my butt, not from the nose. But it really was coming from the nose, I just felt it under my butt. After riding a few times I can now hear just the faintest little snap again when I'm rocking in the saddle (climbing the Evil Hill of Doom on my commute, bad form I know). Bill said grease was best. I didn't have grease, so I'll just keep applying T-9 until I built up enough wax in the cup to get rid of all the noise.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pockets
    I took my hearing aids out and my whole bike stopped squeaking
    For those of us not in that (un)fortunate situation. Put the ipod in.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan