Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got my bike up to 60 mph on the Speedway!!!

Well....it was inside my van.

Many of you know that I help put on the Time Trials at Lowes Motor Speedway. We had our next to the last event tonight. We were packing up after the event and I took the opportunity to use my van to circle the track to pick up cones & sponges (used for a line on the backstretch).

I figured that my vehicle might very well be the first car on the track with 430,000 miles on it.......so for sure my van had earned that honor. My bike just happened to be in the back of the van and went along for the ride as well.

The steeply banked grade in turns 1-2 and 3-4 are a little more than my little old van needed....

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    Well....it was inside my van.

Many of you know that I help put on the Time Trials at Lowes Motor Speedway. We had our next to the last event tonight. We were packing up after the event and I took the opportunity to use my van to circle the track to pick up cones & sponges (used for a line on the backstretch).

I figured that my vehicle might very well be the first car on the track with 430,000 miles on it.......so for sure my van had earned that honor. My bike just happened to be in the back of the van and went along for the ride as well.

The steeply banked grade in turns 1-2 and 3-4 are a little more than my little old van needed....
    As fast as you are I thought you were going to tell us that you motorpaced at that speed.

My Bikes
    Vintage Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & an '83 Santana Tandem
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JPPE,

So what is your fastest speed outside the van? I regularly hit 40-45 mph on a few of my decents but have not gone any faster. Just curious about some of your western NC rides.
    Bob
    Dreaming of Summertime in NH!

Visit my websites:
    FreeWheelSpa.com orpastorbobnlnh.com

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even better how fast have you gotten on a flat course, no wind and no draft? 31mph for me
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    Vintage Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & an '83 Santana Tandem
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecrd
    Even better how fast have you gotten on a flat course, no wind and no draft? 31mph for me
    Flat? What does "flat" mean?
    Bob
    Dreaming of Summertime in NH!

Visit my websites:
    FreeWheelSpa.com orpastorbobnlnh.com

My Bikes
    Lemond Tourmalet
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went on a 35 mile ride on Monday with a group.
    50MPH at one point down Spickert Knob Road in Southern Indiana.

That was scary because it's not a straight decline.
    Many were braking and still over 40 MPH.
    Lemond Tourmalet in Louisville

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My top speed downhill is 52 mph and incidentally was in upper Alabama. I've found that while the roads are steeper in the mountains of NC, there are not many straight downhillers that let you max your speed. The hill in Alabama is about 1-2 miles at 12% as I recall and was very straight.

My fastest speed on a flat by myself is probably around 32 mph.........and to think some pros average that over 20-30 miles in individual TT's..........

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
    Flat? What does "flat" mean?
    I think it refers to a style of BMX riding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatland_BMX

I agree with you. I am puzzled with these references to a flat road. Highly improbable.

Peddlin' Around Detroit Motorad's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Legend, Saluki, Trek 730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From jppe: "Well....it was inside my van."

While still in the Army, I rode my motorcycle to where my Company was going to do a physical training test. The two mile run was to be done on a quarter-mile running track. I asked my Commanding Officer if I could use my motorcycle when I do my two mile run. He said sure, but that my time would probably be slow when pushing the motorcycle on the track...
    I only have a car for transportation. Would most road bikes fit in the back seat area of a Grand Marquis? If so, is it common to take at least the front wheel off to do this? Or would more have to be taken off the road bike to get it in the back seat area?

Motorad

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorad
    From jppe: "Well....it was inside my van."

While still in the Army, I rode my motorcycle to where my Company was going to do a physical training test. The two mile run was to be done on a quarter-mile running track. I asked my Commanding Officer if I could use my motorcycle when I do my two mile run. He said sure, but that my time would probably be slow when pushing the motorcycle on the track...
    I only have a car for transportation. Would most road bikes fit in the back seat area of a Grand Marquis? If so, is it common to take at least the front wheel off to do this? Or would more have to be taken off the road bike to get it in the back seat area?

Motorad
    Bike should fit but you'd definitely need to remove the front wheel-and might also need to remove the rear wheel. The biggest problem with transporting a bike like that is keeping the black "grease" off the upholstery from the chain and drivetrain.

My Bikes
    Electra Townie 7D
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can do 10% of that!

My Bikes
    Litespeed Blueridge
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use to see a couple of cyclists that would draft a van that their friend was driving. This was on city streets with stop signs and stop lights. They could go REALLY fast but don't know what the outcome was when it came to stopping. I haven't seen them for a long time--could they be in cycling heaven now???

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have to admit that The fastest speed on the flat, but after a slight downhill to get a head start, was 45mph. That was on the Tandem and we were still pushing on the pedals. I said then that I never want to spin at that speed again and when we got a cadence meter- we were at 150. Still on the Tandem and the highest speed we got on the road was 52.8 mph. That has been bettered offroad at Butser Hill on the South Downs Way where we got 53.8mph. Could have been faster but we slowed down halfway down- just in case the gate was closed.

And people wonder why they think the Tandem is fast- It is.....When gravity takes over.

On a straight sprint- we have got to 38mph from a standing start on the flat- but we don't try that very often.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Litespeed
    We use to see a couple of cyclists that would draft a van that their friend was driving. This was on city streets with stop signs and stop lights. They could go REALLY fast but don't know what the outcome was when it came to stopping. I haven't seen them for a long time--could they be in cycling heaven now???
    Some of the really serious around here riders go on long training rides behind one of their buddies riding a scooter. They're generally out on rural roads so stopping and starting is not quite as much of an issue.

Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of the really serious around here riders go on long training rides behind one of their buddies riding a scooter. They're generally out on rural roads so stopping and starting is not quite as much of an issue.
    Bet they can crank out 400 watts!

Me thinking at 400 watts at Hockenheim, Germany Formula 1 Track:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out my avatar. That's me going half your speed at Lowes!
    Bob Chambers
    "Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts." T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

My Bikes
    Trek, Spesh, GT, Centurion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My top speed downhill is 52 mph and incidentally was in upper Alabama.
    54 mph, downhill (eastbound) on St. Vrain Road in Boulder County, Colorado with a nice stiff wind coming off the mountains. It's a good road for wind-assist speed records :-)

RFM

My Bikes
    The keepers: 1960 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 1973 Lambert, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport, 2 - 1988 Rossins
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, time to drag out my favorite unbelievable-but-true bicycle story: The setting is Erie, PA, one very late summer's afternoon in 1973, I'm a grad student at Gannon College and earning my living and tuition at the A.R Adams bicycle shop, (Schwinn/Raleigh and a few other minor marques). I'm also an officer of the Presque Isle Bicycle Club which back then was as central to my daily life as my motorcycle club is now. Oh yeah, I'm also a glam rock maniac who's living the era to excess, and more than a bit of an acid head.

The shop had long closed and I was working on a bit of extra work with my buddy Steve (another club officer and constant partner in crime) who had dropped by at quitting time. Steve's a Preacher's Kid (Lutheran), which sets a very accurate stereotype for his behavior. At this point we were both nicely buzzed on something or other, probably microdot, and in the mood to do something besides picking up the usual girls we swapped between ourselves started to create a creative itch. Now, a customer had brought in a Bianchi track bike (very exotic in Erie, Italian bikes were almost completely unknown there) for some service, and I'd finished it a couple of hours earlier. The discussion turned to the bike, and what potential it had with a car breaking wind for it.

I dig around the shop and find some huge chainwheel that fit the Campy crank, bolt it on, replace the silks with street tubulars and we toss the bike into the hatch of my car (73 Vega GT). We need someplace long, flat and not having to worry about speed limits. Well, the Peach Street exit onto I-90 is only a mile and half from the shop. Why not?

Important sidelight to the story: The national 55mph speed limit had taken effect, and the Pennsylvania State Police were on a determined effort to reign in the truckers going from Buffalo to Cleveland. Which meant that traffic was doing 50 and slightly over because of all the radar blanketing the road. And yes, the CB's were chattering madly about smokey here, and smokey there.

We get on the highway, pull off immediately and I unlimber the bike. I lash a piece of pipe I carried in the back of the car to the hatch strut to prop it open, mount the bike, tighten up the straps, and hang on while Steve tows me up to 35-40mph. At that point I let go, tuck in tight on my rear bumper and start pedaling for all that I'm worth.

I don't know what top speed I hit that evening (definitely well over 50) over the next two miles, but in the heavier traffic section we passed a couple of vehicles. Steve had the CB in my car turned up, and at one point, having passed a semi- I hear, "This is rediculous, I was just passed by a f****n bicycle." At which point the airwaves exploded, and we decided this was a really good time to slow down, get off the road, load up and get the flock out of there. After all, the cops monitored channel 19 as well as everybody else.

I still remember the acid rush of being out on the pavement at that speed - and the customer picked up his track bike on Monday, none the wiser. Never wanted to try it again, well not at those speeds anyway (that pipe was in the back for a reason), but it'll be a memory I'll take with me to the grave.

And you can imagine my hilarity when I finally got to see Breaking Away earlier this year . . . . .
    Syke

"No wonder we keep testing positive in their bicycle races. Everyone looks like they're full of testosterone when they're surrounded by Frenchmen." ---Argus Hamilton

The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Fastest I've ever seen on a DH was Rob Lucas during RAAM last Summer dropping a hill into Monument Valley at 67 mph on his bike. Man, he was flying! I was in the chase van, driving.
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.

. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by psycholistbob
    Check out my avatar. That's me going half your speed at Lowes!
    Your results at the TT's are totally incredible Bob. I'm just glad I've aged out of your category this year!! Planning is going well for the 2007 series. We've met a few times over the winter and we hope to have an even better event in 2007-but just don't count on a freshly paved track again!! Look me up next time your at the TT's. I should be in the registration area handling "walk ins".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your results at the TT's are totally incredible Bob. I'm just glad I've aged out of your category this year!! Planning is going well for the 2007 series. We've met a few times over the winter and we hope to have an even better event in 2007-but just don't count on a freshly paved track again!! Look me up next time your at the TT's. I should be in the registration area handling "walk ins".
    I'll look you up once I figure out who you are. You'll have to tap me on the shoulder and say hi. I usually walk into registration half in a daze after 3 hours driving on the I-85 autobahn.

I don't have any doubt that if y'all have set your minds to having a better event in 2007, it'll be better. You've done an incredible job. Seriously ... think about it. There were some nights where you had almost 400 people race ... all with their own individual start times ... in the course of 2 hours! That's testimony to an outstanding organization. It's just a fabulous event and my hat's off to all of you!

I used to look at pictures of TT racers and wonder how in the world they could generate any speed in that position. I didn't figure I could even bend over that far, much less produce any power. I'm glad I gave it a try.

I'll look forward to meeting you. I hope you give Bill a run for his money in your new age group.
    Bob Chambers
    "Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts." T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

My Bikes
    1980 Univega; 1985 Ross; 1994 Trek 1400 -- all road bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I drove Daytona in a Dodge Dart

Back in the 60's, I got to drive a little Dodge Dart rental car around the Daytona Speedway. I went into the 31 degree first turn flat-out (about 90 mph), but I couldn't stay up on the banking at that speed. I started sliding down toward the infield. On the turns, all you can see is asphalt. You can't see the outside wall and you can't see the infield.
    "I am a true laborer. I earn that I eat, get that I wear, owe no man hate, envy no man's happiness, glad of other men's good, content with my harm." As You Like It, Act 3, Scene 2. Shakespeare.
    "Deep down, I'm pretty superficial." Ava Gardner.

A Son of the Cape Fear tarmusic's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '73 Schwinn Super Sport, '74 Schwinn Continental, Schwinn Aluminum 754, '99 Giant Upland
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out the front sprocket on this baby
    Attached Images Attached Images