Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Sitting/Resting Heart Rate (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/226336-sitting-resting-heart-rate.html)

DnvrFox 09-07-06 05:34 AM

Sitting/Resting Heart Rate

Sitting (NOT Resting) - there is a difference - Heart Rate for 50+'rs

Sitting Heart Rate:

Since very few folks measure or care to measure their "resting heart rate" lets find out what some of our sitting heart rates are.

For this survey, let's define "Sitting Heart Rate" as heart rate just sitting and doing nothing.

This is an anonymous poll.

Also, if you know, what is your blood pressure at the same time? PLease tell us below about your BP/Sitting Heart Rate. Also, if you happen to know your resting heart rate, please share.

Resting Heart Rate:

http://www.americanheart.org/present...dentifier=4701

What is resting heart rate?

This is a person's heart rate at rest. The best time to find out your resting heart rate is in the morning, after a good night's sleep, and before you get out of bed.

The heart beats about 60 to 80 times a minute when we're at rest. Resting heart rate usually rises with age, and it's generally lower in physically fit people. Resting heart rate is used to determine one's training target heart rate. Athletes sometimes measure their resting heart rate as one way to find out if they're overtrained. The heart rate adapts to changes in the body's need for oxygen, such as during exercise or sleep.

DnvrFox 09-07-06 05:42 AM

My sitting heart rate was 55 this morning - lowest ever since my ablation one year ago. After the ablation it went up to about 70, but has been coming down ever since. Also, my blood pressure associated with that was 102/68, which is also a record low for me.

BlazingPedals 09-07-06 05:58 AM

My resting HR at my physical last month was 58. That qualifies as 'bradycardia,' although that's just a classification, not a diagnosis of a problem - the doc and I both know it's because of my biking. It's in the low 40s when I wake up. As far as blood pressure, it was 2 points lower than 20 years ago, which is to say essentially unchanged, at 126/84. My cholesterol is a bit on the high side, and recently went off the statins because they caused major strength loss, which I figure will take me 2 years to recover from. In this case, the cure was worse than the disease.

My normal weekly training ride - the hard one - is a 30 miler, with the first half at 75% and the last half often at 95% or better. Last night, it was around 97% for the last 15 miles. Finished with a 30 mph sprint and then just about collapsed.

DnvrFox 09-07-06 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
My resting HR at my physical last month was 58.

I'm curious as to how your doc took your "resting" heart rate at a physical, as resting heart rate is supposed to be your heart rate first thing in the morning while still in bed?

NoRacer 09-07-06 06:35 AM

The last time I measured my resting heart rate was about a week ago. I was at 39 BPM. Sitting, I can be up 5-10 beats from RHR.

p8rider 09-07-06 07:06 AM

My resting heart rate is 31-33. I checked it this summer. I would put on my hrm when I first woke up.
Sitting hr varies in the mid 40's if I have been sitting awhile the the low 50's if I am getting up and down and walking about. BP yesterday was 118 over 72

Ricardo 09-07-06 07:27 AM

You people are incredibly fit or I am incredibly unfit. My sitting heart rate is usually over 60 and I am 26 years old. I am 20 pounds overweight but right now Im in a weight loss program and I've lost four pounds, but I didn't know I was so bad at the fitness dept.

Sorry fot the rambling,

Ricardo

Trsnrtr 09-07-06 07:38 AM

My lowest rate comes about 9:30-10:00 AM, not upon waking, though I always hear that. I don't use a hrm because I seem to have a very volatile heart rate and hrms drive me crazy watching them shoot from low to high during any kind of ride that I do. FWIW, I've been up since 6:00 AM and it's now 8:37 AM. My resting heart rate is currently 46 and I've had 4 cups of coffee. What does that mean? Absolutely nothing. Mental ************.

dauphin 09-07-06 07:50 AM

Got up about 6am...move around quite a bit...and had some caffiene. Sitting down now and wearing the hrm the lowest reading I see now is 55.

DnvrFox 09-07-06 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Ricardo
You people are incredibly fit or I am incredibly unfit. My sitting heart rate is usually over 60 and I am 26 years old. I am 20 pounds overweight but right now Im in a weight loss program and I've lost four pounds, but I didn't know I was so bad at the fitness dept.

Sorry fot the rambling,

Ricardo

We just lie a lot! :D

Actually, the interesting thing is that your resting heart rate generally increases with age!

On the other hand, there is usually a natural selection in this sort of poll, as people who know about and measure their heart rates are generally those with the better rates, as they have a high degree of interest in their fitness and have good fitness habits.

BTW, welcome to the 50+ forum.

Trsnrtr 09-07-06 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
On the other hand, there is usually a natural selection in this sort of poll, as people who know about and measure their heart rates are generally those with the better rates, as they have a high degree of interest in their fitness and have good fitness habits.

That seems to be true. It's probably a positive feedback thing. Also, fit people seem to notice and worry about pains and such. I always figured that it's not because they are hyperchondriacs or anything but just more in tune with their body and sub-consciously monitoring it all of the time.

Dennis

NoRacer 09-07-06 10:17 AM

BTW, welcome to the 50+ forum.

Whoops--didn't check the origin of this post! I'm NOT WORTHY! I still have a year and 3 months before turning 50.

DnvrFox 09-07-06 10:47 AM

Pretty nice Bell curve!

BlazingPedals 09-07-06 10:47 AM

I'm curious as to how your doc took your "resting" heart rate at a physical, as resting heart rate is supposed to be your heart rate first thing in the morning while still in bed?

Oops, I should have said my "sitting" heart rate was 58. I've never broken into the 30s for a resting HR, but I've seen 43 before. I don't normally look at my HR before getting out of bed, but I'm thinking of doing so next year as an aid to planning my training rides.

dauphin 09-07-06 01:28 PM

I wonder if I wear my hrm to bed and then check it when I wake up if that will make all that big of a difference. I also wonder if the alarm clock startling me would bump the rate up a bit...

SoonerBent 09-07-06 02:30 PM

Sitting HR was 51 just now. My resting HR a couple days ago was 44.

SB

zonatandem 09-07-06 05:41 PM

sitting heart rate

Age 74; avid cyclist. Normal sitting heart rate is very low 50s.
The day I was told I had cancer, checked my heart rate after the news: 49!
Right now: 52 bpm.

CheeseLouise 09-07-06 08:10 PM

I actually have a pulse oximeter and my sitting heart rate while sitting at the computer is 45 with 98% for my Sp02 (oxygen saturation)! GASP a few months ago the sitting HR would be around 85 and a few years ago it would have been 100!

Cycling plus weight loss = happy heart!

Linda

Grampy™ 09-07-06 08:32 PM

Mine is 38..... wait you mean a whole minute?:D

I'm just glad it's beatin' every morning...... I really don't care how fast. :D

Big Paulie 09-07-06 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Grampy™
I'm just glad it's beatin' every morning...... I really don't care how fast. :D

:D :D :D

dauphin 09-08-06 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by dauphin
I wonder if I wear my hrm to bed and then check it when I wake up if that will make all that big of a difference. I also wonder if the alarm clock startling me would bump the rate up a bit...

Tried this today and my heart rate was actually higher. Instead of 55 it was 60.

ranger5oh 09-08-06 10:22 AM

mine is about 63

phoebeisis 09-08-06 10:57 AM

70 or so

My HR sitting is usually 60-75. For folks over 50 years old, HR under 50 will make your MD do a double take,and maybe some additional testing. Older folks are more likely to develope problems that will slow their HR.Of course, it can just be the result of training-increased stroke volume can be more efficient that increased HR. Luck,Charlie

stonecrd 09-08-06 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by dauphin
Tried this today and my heart rate was actually higher. Instead of 55 it was 60.

What were you dreaming about?

Dogbait 09-08-06 11:09 AM

My resting HR is usually in the low 40's but I don't measure it very often.

A typical reading taken within an hour of getting up in the morning is:

HR 47 (sitting)
BP 130/76

I take BP medication (Lisinopril 5mg daily) and Lipitor (10mg daily). my most recent Cholesterol was 148.