Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    '08 Scott Addict R4, '09 Habanero Titanium Team Issue, '05 Scattante XRL, Mid 80's Titan Italian Steel, Trek 400 Elance, Trek 540 Touring Series, 80's Nishiki Single Speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saturday is D-Day!

Well, ready or not, I leave Saturday for my Big Ride. Going to pedal from Seattle to San Francisco, our route will follow the Pacific Coast. I'm both excited and worried, have I trained hard enough, or have I trained too much. Guess I'll find out soon enough. I miss the board, as I'll be gone for 2 weeks, I'll try and catch up with whats happenin' on the 2 rest days, and will post my weight, if I can find a scale, on the weight loss challenge if I can.

See you all when I get back.

Jeff

Banned
    My Bikes
    Ellsworth Id
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enjoy

Ride safe...

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Luck!!
    Remember, enjoy the ride.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't worry, just ride your own pace and don't push too hard. The 3rd day is the hardest. Take something to use as chamois cream. You will adapt and want to go on for weeks.

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awsome ride, post some pictures
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lucky Bast***!

Good Luck, and enjoy the ride!

My Bikes
    Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be thinking about you. Have a good ride. I'm subscribing to this thread so I won't miss your reports when you get back.
    Just Peddlin' Around

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best of luck!! We'll be looking for a full report with pics!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And don't forget a large slice of pie on that middle weekend. I'd say you'll have made at least 15 miles by then LOLOL. Seriously, have a safe, great, memorable trip...and then share all details and pics with us "armchair" tourists.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

just over the next hill cruzMOKS's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a great trip. Don't forget to post photos.
    Enjoy the ride.
    Bianchi Volpe 2006; Fuji Tahoe 1990

My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by abadoki
    Well, ready or not, I leave Saturday for my Big Ride. Going to pedal from Seattle to San Francisco, our route will follow the Pacific Coast. I'm both excited and worried, have I trained hard enough, or have I trained too much. Guess I'll find out soon enough. I miss the board, as I'll be gone for 2 weeks, I'll try and catch up with whats happenin' on the 2 rest days, and will post my weight, if I can find a scale, on the weight loss challenge if I can.

See you all when I get back.

Jeff
    I would love to hear your post ride impressions of the route, state by state.

Or as the teachers used to say... compare and contrast the ride state by state. Pay particular attention to the signage for cyclists.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best of luck and safe journey.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep an eye out for old coggers in motorhomes.

I'll be leaving Sunday for the next leg of your trip - San Francisco to Santa Barbara.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, WE of the 50+ BF wish you the best and will look forward to your trip report.

My Bikes
    Shasta Kiliminjaro, Optima Dragon Recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy riding. Get some good pix to share. Is this a real "rough it" trip with camping, etc. Is there a sag vehicle? Regardless, have fun!
    Jim
    Make a BOLD Statement While Cycling!

My Bikes
    '08 Scott Addict R4, '09 Habanero Titanium Team Issue, '05 Scattante XRL, Mid 80's Titan Italian Steel, Trek 400 Elance, Trek 540 Touring Series, 80's Nishiki Single Speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oilfreeandhappy
    Happy riding. Get some good pix to share. Is this a real "rough it" trip with camping, etc. Is there a sag vehicle? Regardless, have fun!

Yes, it is a real "rough it" trip. There will be about 40 other riders and we will be staying in state campgrounds all the way to San Francisco. However, the ride is support by the American Lung Association of Washington. And they will be hauling our gear and will provide a sag vehicle has well.

We all raised funds for the ALAW, the minimum needed to participate is $2000. It was a real challenge for me to raise donations, but I was able to raise enough to go on the ride.

If anyone is interested in doing the ride in the future or in making a donation, here is the link to the ALAW website. Just click on the Big Ride Link and it will take you to the Big Ride Page, then click on Pacific Coast. If, you want to make a donation, click on Support a Big Rider, then click on my name. Jeff Silbaugh.

Thanks for all of your best wishes.

Jeff

www.alaw.org

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm back!!

Well, the Big Ride is over for this year, and what a ride it was. We left Seattle early on Saturday morning, taking a ferry across Puget Sound to Bemerton, Wa.. The weather started a little wet, but as soon as we hit the first hill the rain jacket came off. We then rode along Hood Canal, wow was it beautiful. After we left Shelton, Wa., we hit headwinds all the way to Montesano, Wa. it made for a very long day. Total miles for day 1, 83.67. Day 2 started with a climb out of the park, and continued with lots of up and down, also included an additional 9 miles, "bonus miles", as I made a left instead of a right. And again we finished with a climb into camp. Total miles for day 2, 87.69, total for trip 171.36. Day 3 agained started with a climb out of camp, notice a pattern starting to develop. We entered Oregon today, crossing the Astoria bridge into Astoria, Or. This is a 3 mile long bridge with no shoulder and no sidewalk to speak of and left very little room for riding. But, we all made it safely across. There was lots of climbing and the hills never seemed to end, just when you thought you had reached the top, you would go around another corner or curve and the it just kept going up. But, I managed, to finish. I, also hit my highest speed ever on a bike and the highest of anyone on the whole trip, 53.7 mph, was that a blast. Total miles for day 3, 62.91, total for trip 234.27. Day 4 actually started without the climb out of camp, but that didn't last long. Today we climbed and climbed and then climbed some more. Started with the Three Capes Scenic Route, and it was scenic, but if you ever plan on riding this part of the Oregon coast, be prepared for the climbs. The last climb of the day was climbing Cascade Head, this is a 3 mile climb of at least an 6%, and I think it was more like 8 or 9%, but it was long and hard. We found out later, that if we had followed the Oregon Coast bicycle route, we could have avoided this climb. Total miles for day 4, 85.61, total for trip 319.88. Day 5 was a rest day in Lincoln City, Or. and boy did I need it. Still, I ended up riding a few miles down to finish doing some laundry. Well, I am in the process of setting up the pictures that I took on the trip and will post a link to them, as well as a link to my blog, all though I still have to update it. It's nice to be back home, but I feel like I should be riding instead. I had a great time and rode with a awesome group of people, this was my first long distance, multi-day ride and look forward to more. I will add to this post later, if anyone would like a few details about the rest of the ride. And as soon as I can resize some of the pictures, I will include some of them as well.

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm anxious to see your pictures and a more detailed account. I have done the SF to LA AIDS/LifeCycle twice, and your ride sounds similar (albeit a bit smaller group). I sorta wanted another multi day ride and this could be it. Congratulations on your accomplishment, both personal and for the ALA. And arent' bike riders the best group of people ever?
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    Novara Randonee, Felt Z45, Marin Belvedere Commuter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by abadoki
    Well, ready or not, I leave Saturday for my Big Ride. Going to pedal from Seattle to San Francisco, our route will follow the Pacific Coast.
    Jeff
    Remember to pack your camera.
    Bike riding New England gentleman.

My Bikes
    05' Specialized Sequoia Elite, Raleigh M40 Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on what sounds like an alltogether terrific trip and on your safe return.
    Can't wait to see the pics.
    Last edited by SemperFi; 09-25-06 at 04:02 PM.
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Ride On!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jm01
    Enjoy

Ride safe...
    +1
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

just over the next hill cruzMOKS's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I lived in Astoria Oregon 1982-84. I could see that bridge across the Columbia river from
    my living room. I ran across it one year. During that time I had an Astro-Damiler (sp?) 10
    speed. I didn’t ride it much. When I moved I gave it away.

It sounds like you had a great ride.
    Enjoy the ride.
    Bianchi Volpe 2006; Fuji Tahoe 1990