Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Another Pie in the Sky Issue: Input Sought (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/226429-another-pie-sky-issue-input-sought.html)

Digital Gee 09-07-06 11:42 AM

Another Pie in the Sky Issue: Input Sought

CrossChain is dealing with the dilemma of having an unscheduled but profitable training day pop on on Pie Day on a different thread. I have a different issue and would like some input.

My daughters will be with me that weekend, ages 17 and 14, both quickly approaching their birthdays, when they apparently will be turning 30 and 27, respectively.

Anyway, they are not, shall we say, people who know their way around the kitchen, unless it is to crack open a fresh container of ice cream or grab a soda. They are also not known for hanging around together, except when held captive in my car on the way to somewhere.

I had the idea of having them bake me a pie Saturday morning while I was out on the ride. We could get all the ingredients before hand, review the recipe on Friday, and turn them loose on Saturday morning. Then, by the time I pedalled home, there would be (God willing) a freshly baked pie waiting for me.

What do you think? Can this work? :D

centexwoody 09-07-06 01:06 PM

DG: that's REALLY pie in the sky...but who knows? they might be willing to do it for dear ol' Dad if they understand jus how important it is to him

stapfam 09-07-06 01:17 PM

I can still remember my daughters first baking for me. I went through it with both of the daughters. They are now excellent cooks- but I made the mistake of commenting on my eldest daughters flapjack and my youngest daughters biscuits. I praised them both for such marvellous cooking- when even the dog was turning his nose up at them. As I have said- they are both marvellous cooks but my eldest is on a health food kick at present and her flapjack is nothing that I like- and the youngest specially bakes biscuits for me- although she doesn't like them and I am not surprised. Neither do I.

Don't make the mistake on such an important occasion as this of second rate pie. If you must get them to bake for you, Take a bit longer on your ride and stop off at a cafe and get your slice in there. Then you can stop off at the pharmacy and get the alka-seltzer in for when you get home.

p8rider 09-07-06 01:22 PM

I'd rather have CrossChain's dilemma.

Felipe Diego 09-07-06 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee
My daughters will be with me that weekend, ages 17 and 14, both quickly approaching their birthdays, when they apparently will be turning 30 and 27, respectively.

I had the idea of having them bake me a pie Saturday morning while I was out on the ride. We could get all the ingredients before hand, review the recipe on Friday, and turn them loose on Saturday morning. Then, by the time I pedalled home, there would be (God willing) a freshly baked pie waiting for me.

Gary, in our numerous sessions over the years, haven't we discussed the pain and suffering caused by parents who foist their wants and desires on to their children? And what have we learned about that pitiful, hopeless endeavor? That's right...your daughters will have to spend thousands of hours in therapy to undo the damage you are about to inflict on them.

And hey, that's great! Have them call my office and make an appointment after the weekend is over!

Big Paulie 09-07-06 01:28 PM

Between CC and DG, it seems like maybe we should schedule an alternate pie ride day or something. This shouldn't be causing the kind of consternation it apparently is...:)

centexwoody 09-07-06 01:43 PM

Ride for Pie Weekend! logically, the 3rd weekend of September, no?

BluesDawg 09-07-06 01:47 PM

Have them bake a Mrs. Smith's pie.

Digital Gee 09-07-06 01:47 PM

I suppose I could pick up a pre-baked pie from one of the local pie shops, and just ask my daughters to heat it up in the oven (or do it myself upon return). Maybe that's best... :)

Artkansas 09-07-06 02:03 PM

That's why Marie Callendar's was invented. :p

NOS88 09-07-06 04:23 PM

Gary, having grown up in my grandmother's house (she was a world class chef), I would suggest that doing things in the kitchen together is one of the most rewarding experiences of life. If your daughters do this, it would be nothing sort of wonderful. And, if you're ready to see a kitchen completely trashed when you get home, why not give it a shot. I mean what's the most that could happen?.... other than them getting into a major fight; not speaking to one another for decades as a result; setting your place on fire, and....

CrossChain 09-07-06 04:52 PM

Gary, me being also the father of two (boy/girl) who have flittered out of the nest and only return when money is low and dirty laundry is high, let me pontificate. [Sometimes their initial flights crash land and they sort of lay their all awry under the tree looking up at you for a minor rescue/repair extraction.]

Anyway, NOS88 is most correct. In fact, why not ratchet down a bit more. Get up a little earlier, do the ride, then bake the pie all three of you, put them on Click and Clack and go for a ride while you and the pie both do a cool down. Upon returning hungry, slice it up, shovel on the ice cream.........

Of course we'll want pics of berry juice dripping from 3 chins.

howsteepisit 09-07-06 05:06 PM

DG;

first offer to let them go on a ride with you, when they decline then have them meet you at the PIE placeof your choice, and buy them a peice of pie, after all they are your daughters:)

Big Paulie 09-07-06 05:25 PM

I have to add that there is a nasty undercurrent of sexism here. :eek:

Just because they are young women, doesn't mean they eventually will have to learn to cook! :mad:

They can if they want...:)

DnvrFox 09-07-06 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by centexwoody
Ride for Pie Weekend! logically, the 3rd weekend of September, no?

Or ride for pie week

Or ride for pie fortnight

Or ride for pie month

Or ride for pie year?

Goodness, what ever happened to STANDARDS!

This is why we need a 65+ forum. These young 50'ish folks are dragging down our morals and ethics! :D

dauphin 09-07-06 05:49 PM

one wonders who or what is real around here sometime....

DnvrFox 09-07-06 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by dauphin

Yes, that is THE question.

What IS reality?

Pondered by all the philosophers and religious folks continuously.

Reality Is an Illusion
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. Albert Einstein

Man follows only phantoms. Pierre-Simon de Laplace, (1749 - 1827) [His last words, according to De Morgan:] DeMorgan's Budget of Paradoxes.

An era can be said to end when its basic illusions are exhausted. -Arthur Miller

They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. Edgar Allan Poe

What if everything is an illusion and nothing exists? In that case, I definitely overpaid for my carpet. Woody Allen

Man has always sacrificed truth to his vanity, comfort and advantage. He lives by make-believe. W. Somerset Maugham

When you find out, let me know.

WillisB 09-07-06 05:57 PM

one pre-done Graham cracker crust from grocery store. One package Jello brand instant pudding and pie filling of your choice. I suggest chocolate, banana, or toasted coconut. One can whipped cream. Open crust package. Mix pudding. Pour into crust chill for an hour. Cut out HUGE piece. Slather with whipped cream. Eat.

Girls will have huge scence(sp?) of accomplishment.

DnvrFox 09-07-06 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by WillisB
one pre-done Graham cracker crust from grocery store. One package Jello brand instant pudding and pie filling of your choice. I suggest chocolate, banana, or toasted coconut. One can whipped cream. Open crust package. Mix pudding. Pour into crust chill for an hour. Cut out HUGE piece. Slather with whipped cream. Eat.

Girls will have huge scence(sp?) of accomplishment.

NO, NO, NO

This is BLUEBERRY PIE DAY!

Read the RULES here. :D

Dchiefransom 09-07-06 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by dauphin

This is the Internet. It's not real, like television.

Digital Gee 09-07-06 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
NO, NO, NO

This is BLUEBERRY PIE DAY!

Read the RULES. :D

Denver gets all worked up like this when his posting heart rate reaches 180 bpm. :D

DnvrFox 09-07-06 06:39 PM

Denver gets all worked up like this when his posting heart rate reaches 180 bpm. :D

No, that is the cadence that HiYoSilver says I need to go up hills! :)

Big Paulie 09-07-06 07:38 PM

I'm beginning to question DnvrFox's sanity at this point. I like blueberry pie as much as the next person, but to stigmatize any variations is a sign of dementia! :D

Grampy™ 09-07-06 08:21 PM

:roflmao: :lol: :roflmao: :lol: :roflmao: :lol: :roflmao: :lol: :roflmao:
You are toast.

DnvrFox 09-07-06 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Big Paulie
I'm beginning to question DnvrFox's sanity at this point. I like blueberry pie as much as the next person, but to stigmatize any variations is a sign of dementia! :D

Hmm!

You are questioning MY sanity, man of a 1,000 faces and personalities?

D . . . . . . I . . . . . . E . . . . . . . . G . . . . . . . . O