Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

toe clips and straps

I just picked up a pair of toe clips and straps and I kind of liked them. I was kind of wondering if the other ones you clip into the pedal would be any better. Do any of you use the toe clips and straps? I remember seeing them around when I was younger but, I really don't know anything about them. Thanks George
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geroge,

You have to do a search through the forums for a common subject like this. It has been covered literally a hundred times. Everything you could possibly want to know is already out there...

sch
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use(d) Lyotard Berthets with toe clips and loose straps on my ATB bike when I was still doing ATB, could get my foot out faster that way than with clipins. All my other bikes are clipins. Still see an occasional rider on club rides with toeclips.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still use clips, straps, and platform pedals on my general purpose, around town utility bike because they are adaptable to many shoes. Easy entry, exit and a simple, almost thoughtless flip of the toe will get you into the pedal. Despite many of us now using clipless.........clips&straps have carried generations of serious riders on very serious rides indeed. They are fully functional and they work. I sometimes miss the ritual of leaning down and flipping the buckle at stoplights. (I also recall a few fall-overs when I forgot!) Many believe that clipless are more efficient. After years of riding one or the other, I don't feel really secure unless my foot is somehow attached to the pedal. A lot of crazyass BMX riders would disagree.

Check out Rivendell Bicycles...they still support clips&straps&platforms...and sell them as well.

You might also check out "PowerStraps"....I used them on a recumbent and they work fine, too. Very simple but effective.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    George:
    For guys like me: Forget it.
    My wife insists on it. She claims that her feet and knees hurt less with straps. She also gets out of these loose fitting straps more easy in a panic. I keep trying to convert her. Paid hundredths of dollars for shoes and clips. To no avail.
    My son, sort of a mountain biker. Only straps will do. Same reason. Afraid to get stuck in a panic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotta reply. If you've tightened down your straps and thereby made them most efficient they are less easy to get out of than clipless. It often takes a lean down to loosen them. Clipless just takes a quick twist...after "x" number of rides that foot twist becomes pretty thoughtless and automatic. That's my experience.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossChain
    Gotta reply. If you've tightened down your straps and thereby made them most efficient they are less easy to get out of than clipless. It often takes a lean down to loosen them. Clipless just takes a quick twist...after "x" number of rides that foot twist becomes pretty thoughtless and automatic. That's my experience.
    CC:
    I have to let you talk to my wife and son. That would be fun to watch. I have spend years to no avail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by will dehne
    CC:
    I have to let you talk to my wife and son. That would be fun to watch. I have spend years to no avail.
    If you could convince them to just get past the "learning curve" and get accustomed to clipless. I can appreciate that feeling of being "trapped" at first.....but it does go away. Will, you may be in for a long, uphill climb on this one!

Invite me over for one of your steak and wine dinners sometime and I'll be glad to try-- maybe after my 2nd glass.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    George:
    Sorry about my post # 5 above. I did not mean to be flippant. What I meant to say that Clipless is IMHO overwhelming more efficient for high speed performance biking, I can always tell a relative slower biker if he has straps. This is in Detroit Metroparks which attract a lot of hot shot bikers. These guys ride Colagno's, Trek TT, Top of the line Road bikes, going like hell, as fast as possible. Straps are seen seldom but there are some.
    Now, Mountain, off road and commuter biking is another story.
    I agree with CC comment above. Once you get used to Clipless, they are great.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Invite me over for one of your steak and wine dinners sometime and I'll be glad to try-- maybe after my 2nd glass.
    It would be our pleasure but we are in Illinois and I think you are in CA. Perhaps I will see you on my next XC?

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    George,

Toe clips are effective and inexpensive and as mentioned above, work on virtually any shoe imaginable. In my opinion, clipless pedals give better contact with the pedal. They are a bit more expensive and require a shoe that can take the cleat necessary for the pedal. So it is a matter of tradeoffs.

The vast majority of performance oriented cyclists, I know, use clipless. But I don't know how much of that is fashion over function.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still use toe straps, they make great tie downs.

My Bikes
    Giant Cypress SX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Paulie
    Geroge,

You have to do a search through the forums for a common subject like this. It has been covered literally a hundred times. Everything you could possibly want to know is already out there...
    Fantastic. I just checked, and by golly, the search function really is working again.

George, I tried two different sets of toe clips. Okay, except the both chaffed my toes right at the toenails. Not exactly the hot tip for a person with diabetes. I went with the Power Grips and the are more comfortable, and seem to work better. I've got clipless pedals on order, so ask me in a month. Oh, the LBS is going to let me borrow their trainer so I can practice unclipping at home with nobody watching.
    Some people are like a Slinky ... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that most people think clipless is harder than toe clips. This is really not the case as mentioned; keeping the straps at the right tightness is a pain, the toe clips tend to flip upside down easier making it harder to get your toe in and I also think you have a better chance of turning your front wheel into toe clips than clipless. Of course they are cheaper as you don't need special shows and cleats.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pedal "issue" always surprizes me. I recall when aero bars first arrived, I was dissuaded from them for a time because a cycling pundit announced them unsafe for recreational riders. Well, that was baloney as it turns out. Toe clips are easy to flip--it just takes a little commitment of time and getting your move down. Twisting out of or clipping into clipless also take a bit of time to get to the "automatic" level....but then so did originally learning to ride the bike, or ride no-hands, or reach down for your water bottle, or fix a flat, or etc. And the net gain makes the effort more than worthwhile if you put in regular miles of riding.
    You'll thank yourself eventually for being better attached to your bike. I promise.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just came back from a 20 mile run and those straps and toe clips worked great. While I was riding I was thinking of clipless and the 2 narrow openings they have next to a gate. They lock the big gate so cars cant drive down the bike path, and they have small openings where bikes can get though, but not motorcycles. While going though them this morning with the toe clips and straps I could feel I was getting a little nervous.If I hit that pipe I know I'm going down. I just missed it but,I thought I may get out of these things fast enough where with the clips I think I may not.It was a lot easier where I could just jump off the pedals but I know I like these clips better. I guess I could just walk around the gate until I get better.The store where I bought the clips and straps said I could bring them back and buy clipless when I'm ready. I probably would have already if they had my shoe size. Thanks for all the responses,George
    George

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In an emergency situation the only thing that would work is plartforms with no clips. I have yet to find my brain able to focus on getting my feet successfully out of the pedals whether clipless or clips to prevent falling. I am usually thinking 'Oh Boy this is going hurt'
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecrd
    In an emergency situation the only thing that would work is plartforms with no clips. I have yet to find my brain able to focus on getting my feet successfully out of the pedals whether clipless or clips to prevent falling. I am usually thinking 'Oh Boy this is going hurt'
    Depends how fast the fall is going to come, but the danger in a fall is putting out a leg or an arm- easiest way to get a plaster cast.

First bike was platforms- Not really efficient and a few shin scratches and bruises when slipping off the things meant that I went with Straps on the next bike. Had to tighten them so much to stop the foot pulling out on the upstroke that any stop of any kind was difficult in trying to get the straps loose. Had a lot more falls when coming to a stop because the foot did not release out of the straps. Then I went clipless. Had a couple of embarrassing falls but got on with them very quickly. I know you should start with the pedals set up loose initially- but very quickly found that I need them very tight to stop pulling out of them.

I still fall off, but this is pilot error at speed. If I know I am coming off- then I consciously keep my hands on the bars and don't even think about unclipping. Most of the time- I know nothing about it, and I suddenly find the Mud trickling down my neck, or I have landed in the deepest puddle on the ride.

Each once to his own- but I can honestly say that I cannot ride a bike comfortably unless It has clipless pedals. It is surprising how much you depend on the feet for balance on a bike.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think CrossChain meant to say Power Grips. I have them on all of the bikes that I ride. I can wear any shoes and there is never a problem getting out of them. They're also inexpensive.

http://powergrips.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George McClusky
    I just came back from a 20 mile run and those straps and toe clips worked great. While I was riding I was thinking of clipless and the 2 narrow openings they have next to a gate. They lock the big gate so cars cant drive down the bike path, and they have small openings where bikes can get though, but not motorcycles. While going though them this morning with the toe clips and straps I could feel I was getting a little nervous.If I hit that pipe I know I'm going down. I just missed it but,I thought I may get out of these things fast enough where with the clips I think I may not.It was a lot easier where I could just jump off the pedals but I know I like these clips better. I guess I could just walk around the gate until I get better.The store where I bought the clips and straps said I could bring them back and buy clipless when I'm ready. I probably would have already if they had my shoe size. Thanks for all the responses,George
    When approaching an area of potential danger, I always unclip one foot (if I am using the clipless) or remove one foot from the toe straps (if using toe straps) ahead of time.

I do this a lot. It works for me. I have fallen only 2 times in 7 years of clipless, both within the first month of clipless. I have never fallen with the toe straps.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-08-06 at 04:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtdrop
    I think CrossChain meant to say Power Grips. I have them on all of the bikes that I ride. I can wear any shoes and there is never a problem getting out of them. They're also inexpensive.

http://powergrips.com/
    Yes, CrossChain did mean "Power Grips". He may not have gotten the name right but he remembers how well they worked on his recumbent. Thanks, Dirtdrop!

*** As one of the more senior (59 years old) members here at BF50+, I appreciate you younger guys giving me a nudge!!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, CrossChain did mean "Power Grips". He may not have gotten the name right but he remembers how well they worked on his recumbent. Thanks, Dirtdrop!

*** As one of the more senior (59 years old) members here at BF50+, I appreciate you younger guys giving me a nudge!!
    Know it all upstarts- or should that be- "I can still remember Upstarts"
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Coyote!
    George McKluskey pondered. . .

>>> wondering if the other ones you clip into the pedal would be any better

Dunno' quite what you're getting at. Here's what I use for those awkward times when I need to get out of the pedal often and don't need to be locked in with cleats. . .kinda' between all off-road and all road riding. Off-road=flat pedals. . .mixed=these things [see link]. . .road=cleats. I keep these three sets of pedals and swap 'em bike to bike as required.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...All%20Products

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by will dehne
    My son, sort of a mountain biker. Only straps will do. Same reason. Afraid to get stuck in a panic.
    Toe straps on a mountain bike contributed to my torn rotator cuff and two recent surgeries. I'm still not riding. I'm three weeks post 2nd surgery.

I was clipped in with straps, and when I went over the top of the bars, the bicycle just followed right along. It happened so quickly, I never had time to pull out of the pedals. If it had been clipless, I'm almost certain the bike would have left my feet. I was almost unable to stop my slide because the bike was all wadded up with me. Finally managed to get stopped a foot or so before going over a 30' sheer drop.

IMHO, I think the WORST place to use straps is on a mountain bike off road. I can get out of my clips (SPD) a whole lot easier than snug straps. Needless to say, I now have clipless on my mountain bike.

Will, feel free to share this with your son.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't feel like my foot was going to hang up. When I got the toe clips I took my shoes off and tightened the straps just enough where they were snug and I thought they worked pretty good. I'll still have to try the clipless though,thanks George
    George

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast