Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheap Diopter Sunglasses!

- hi!

- i'm getting blind as i get older, and need to have bifocals in order to read my cyclocomputer...

- ran across some decently priced sunglasses (full UV proctection) w/built-in diopters, and i thought i'd share:

these are decent

i also use these

- YMMV... i don't work for these folks... i actually ordered my original pair from these folks

- what's cool is that the glasses are inexpensive, yet work great for the intended purpose... and at $10+, a real bargain compared to prescription glasses or 'high-end' cycling glasses...

My Bikes
    Specialized Crossroads hybrid, but will soon be trading for something with drop bars.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice. Thanks for posting these sites. I have the same problem seeing my Cateye Strada Cadence: small letters. I'm suprised mine is the first bump on your post after three years.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by makr View Post
    Very nice. Thanks for posting these sites. I have the same problem seeing my Cateye Strada Cadence: small letters. I'm suprised mine is the first bump on your post after three years.
    I've been using the DeWalt bifocal glasses for several years now, in both clear and sunglasses. I buy about six pair at a time, and they last a couple of years.

If you go on a weeklong tour somewhere, carry two pair as those cheapies can break when you lease expect it. Don't ask me how I know this.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

My Bikes
    ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, '09 Fiji Aloha 1.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to check out www.boomersintheknow.com They have a pretty good selection of reading sunglasses and bifocal reading sunglasses. The one I like is the fishing sunglasses. It's polarized, but the bifocal section in not polarized so you don't have a problem with seeing the LED screen on your bike computer.
    BT
    '09 Motobecane Immortal Pro, with lollipops
    '09 Fuji Aloha 1.0 TT build. with lollipops
    '09 Lamborghini Viaggio Tandem
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...c/exercise.png

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bifocal Safety Glasses rule! (For those of us whose primary visual problem is Older Person's Crappy Close-Focus Vision.)

I've bought several pairs from http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/safreadglas.html

They're cheap enough that when they get scratched up, you can just throw them away and get a new pair.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's another option. What I like about these is you can re-use them if the glasses break.
    The more you drive the less intelligent you are. - Tracy Walter as Miller in Repo Man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I got my last two pairs of glasses I took the RX's from the dr. and had them made with 1 diopter less strength...I can still read fine and still have good distance vision(I am very myopic), Its still strong enough to pass D/L test etc , Can't do as well IDing birds while birding but I don't have to have bifocals...Ask your opthalmologist , and he will most likely agree...(Mine did) .
    Bud

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also got a couple pair from bifocal safety glasses. They were the answer I needed. Have two right now, and when I need to replace them, will go right back to the same company.