Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 09-08-06, 07:47 PM   #1
linux_author
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cheap Diopter Sunglasses!

- hi!

- i'm getting blind as i get older, and need to have bifocals in order to read my cyclocomputer...

- ran across some decently priced sunglasses (full UV proctection) w/built-in diopters, and i thought i'd share:

these are decent

i also use these

- YMMV... i don't work for these folks... i actually ordered my original pair from these folks

- what's cool is that the glasses are inexpensive, yet work great for the intended purpose... and at $10+, a real bargain compared to prescription glasses or 'high-end' cycling glasses...
linux_author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-10, 10:37 PM   #2
makr

Bikes: Specialized Crossroads hybrid, but will soon be trading for something with drop bars.
Very nice. Thanks for posting these sites. I have the same problem seeing my Cateye Strada Cadence: small letters. I'm suprised mine is the first bump on your post after three years.
makr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-10, 01:22 PM   #3
Monoborracho

Bikes: Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Soma Saga
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by makr View Post
Very nice. Thanks for posting these sites. I have the same problem seeing my Cateye Strada Cadence: small letters. I'm suprised mine is the first bump on your post after three years.
I've been using the DeWalt bifocal glasses for several years now, in both clear and sunglasses. I buy about six pair at a time, and they last a couple of years.

If you go on a weeklong tour somewhere, carry two pair as those cheapies can break when you lease expect it. Don't ask me how I know this.
Old 01-10-10, 03:49 PM   #4
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2
You might want to check out www.boomersintheknow.com They have a pretty good selection of reading sunglasses and bifocal reading sunglasses. The one I like is the fishing sunglasses. It's polarized, but the bifocal section in not polarized so you don't have a problem with seeing the LED screen on your bike computer.
bobthib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-10, 05:15 PM   #5
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Bifocal Safety Glasses rule! (For those of us whose primary visual problem is Older Person's Crappy Close-Focus Vision.)

I've bought several pairs from http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/safreadglas.html

They're cheap enough that when they get scratched up, you can just throw them away and get a new pair.
Old 01-10-10, 05:44 PM   #6
akohekohe
The Professor

Bikes: Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT
Here's another option. What I like about these is you can re-use them if the glasses break.
akohekohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-10, 06:24 PM   #7
oldster

Bikes:
When I got my last two pairs of glasses I took the RX's from the dr. and had them made with 1 diopter less strength...I can still read fine and still have good distance vision(I am very myopic), Its still strong enough to pass D/L test etc , Can't do as well IDing birds while birding but I don't have to have bifocals...Ask your opthalmologist , and he will most likely agree...(Mine did) .
Bud
oldster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-10, 01:22 PM   #8
geofitz13

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite
I also got a couple pair from bifocal safety glasses. They were the answer I needed. Have two right now, and when I need to replace them, will go right back to the same company.
geofitz13 is offline   Reply With Quote