OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Humidity is Killing Me

The last few weeks have been murder down here. I am all motivated to get out and do some serious miles today and then I walk out the door and it feels like walking into a clothes dryer. This morning at 7:00a it was 85F and 80% RH. The dew point is like 79F! There is actually fog in some of the low lying areas. I plan to do 60mi but after two hours and 36 miles I just can't take it anymore. I can't hydrate fast enough to overcome the amount of sweat I am putting out. My jersey and bibs are completely soaked. I have to squeeze the water out of my gloves every 30min or so and the water is just flowing off me. I got back and weighed myself and I had lost 6lbs in water weight. Man I sure hope winter comes soon.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same over here in Katy,but it still beats Chicago.
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This summer has been tough on me. The humidity and high 80's f temps. seem worse than any year I can remember. Maybe it's just me, maybe I'm just losing my toughness. Perhaps age is a factor (I hope not).

Anyhow, you guys down south have it much hotter, so I'd better shut up.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't think humidity was a problem today- untill I found myself running out of water after 10miles. I normally use a camelback but as it has a leak I am back to a water bottle and only room for one on the bike. Had to find a cattle trough to refill- Safe enough to do as I empty sufficient water out of the trough and refill the bottle from the inflowing water. Still not enough so down off the hills to my favourite cafe and refill myself with Cafe Late. Normally have a capuchino but decided on a change- Think I'll go back to capuchino next ride. Actually went through 3 lites of water in a 3 hour ride- and the coffee, and the cake, and a slice of pie. (Too late for breakfast today)
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having grown up in Georgia, moving to California and it's lack of humidity was quite a change. After living here for thirteen years, I find it quite startling when I go back for visits and walk out of the airport into the humidity. It feels like breathing water.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FarHorizon
    You acclimate to the humidity. Takes awhile, but it'll happen. Living in Louisiana is like living in a year-round sauna. Post mid-afternoon shower, 100% humidity is common with the streets steaming as they evaporate the rainwater... I'm sure Florida is similar.
    I'm waiting, I have been here for two years now and it is still tough on me. Coming from the CA bay area I would ride in 102F but the RH was 18%. So I look at the temp and think 80F is a piece of cake. I have been a heavy sweater since HS I don't thin aclimation is going to change that. My riding partner was telling Sun that riding behind me is quite entertaining. He says the water is just dripping from my shoes, handlebars, chin etc. Well, another month or two of this then the beautiful part of living in FL starts.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every one is on a health kick so I did not want to mention this. Many moons ago I did a 24 hour race each year in my sport of Karting. This was the first time I had encountered high humidity and I was warned about it. Took to a sauna to get used to it but nothing will prepare you for how energy sapping Humidity is. I was given one bit of advice that worked. Salt tablets. I do not know if you can still get them but They worked. While everyone else struggled to even get the practice in for the event until 6pm the night before. I was back at the tent with everything sorted by that time.

Many prople are now cutting back on salt intake but there are energy drinks that will put the electrolytes back into the systen that salt does. Find one that suits you and start using that on the ride- It may not be as good as Salt but if it helps a bit- then you are on your way to comfort on a ride.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspect we sweat just as much when the humidity is lower, however, it evaporates a lot quicker. Hence, the extremely wet clothing and sense that we're sweating more. This also makes it a bit harder for our boides to cool themselves given the evaporation is what helps. Personally, I'll take it over the bone dry, windy and cold winter rides.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live NW of Chicago. Much of the year is cold with sweat generated from biking. I have had miserable health problems from that. The summer is often hot and humid. The basement dehumidifier runs all summer long. Sweating like hell is the norm from June to September but I do not get sick from that. The nice warm and dry conditions of CA are just a dream. We have just a little tease of that in the "Indian Summer". (perhaps a week or two)
    I will be down in FL by Inverness soon, for a month.

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    Every one is on a health kick so I did not want to mention this. Many moons ago I did a 24 hour race each year in my sport of Karting.
    Karting? isn't that trash pick-up. I didn't know they made it a sport!
    It must be an english thing, you know mad dogs and englishmen.

Yes it is a paradox
    My Bikes
    Trek, Orbea,Specilized
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drink sports drinks. Do you wear a cool max dew rag? They help keep the sweat out of your eyes and seem to help cool the head. Got a helment with lots of vents, 20 or more? Ride faster so the air rush helps evaporation. Freezing your water bottles, or Camelback, half filled with water or sport drinks and finish filling before ride helps. Pour some of the cold water on your head if over heating. Do not pour sports drink on head, yuch. Wear a jersey with mesh inserts. You can not beat the humidity but you can fight it. Good luck.

Is it true that an Englishmen came down with mad cows diease from drinking out of cattle troughs?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by p8rider
    Karting? isn't that trash pick-up. I didn't know they made it a sport!
    It must be an english thing, you know mad dogs and englishmen.
    It started as an American sport but is a very cheap form of motor racing. There are two main classes- or were when I was doing it. Imagine a 250cc 2 stroke motorbike engine- tuned to the limit- pushing 350lbs round a full car racing circuit.Top speed of around 130mph and faster speed round the corners.

Then a single cylinder 100cc engine pushing out 24BHP at 22,000 RPM. fixed drive to the back axle and no gears or clutch. These thing handle and accelerate and brake faster than you can imagine. Circuits are smaller with plenty of corners and speed is not the object as cornering speed and acceleration are the main points of this type of racing. Saying that- I was clocked at 105mph in a speed trap at the end of the long straight at the White House Karting Circuit at Le Mans.

Karting is one of the types of racing that honed the skills of current F1 drivers in their early days and to name a couple that I raced against- Alain Prost and Senna. Then there are a few other lesser drivers such as Mansell- Rosberg- Schumacher- Raikenen--and the list goes on.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    It started as an American sport but is a very cheap form of motor racing. There are two main classes- or were when I was doing it. Imagine a 250cc 2 stroke motorbike engine- tuned to the limit- pushing 350lbs round a full car racing circuit.Top speed of around 130mph and faster speed round the corners.

Then a single cylinder 100cc engine pushing out 24BHP at 22,000 RPM. fixed drive to the back axle and no gears or clutch. These thing handle and accelerate and brake faster than you can imagine. Circuits are smaller with plenty of corners and speed is not the object as cornering speed and acceleration are the main points of this type of racing. Saying that- I was clocked at 105mph in a speed trap at the end of the long straight at the White House Karting Circuit at Le Mans.

Karting is one of the types of racing that honed the skills of current F1 drivers in their early days and to name a couple that I raced against- Alain Prost and Senna. Then there are a few other lesser drivers such as Mansell- Rosberg- Schumacher- Raikenen--and the list goes on.
    Thanks for the correction, I knew it had to be something like that. Even I couldn't imagine anyone racing to collect trash.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowSpinner
    Is it true that an Englishmen came down with mad cows diease from drinking out of cattle troughs?
    No- That was when he went to McDonalds and drank their coffee.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brilliant!

My Bikes
    Trek 1200 and Trek hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wind?

Man do I agree, but hay you forgot to mention the 14 mph+ wind that rather than cooling just causes you to work harder. Wind doesn't cool when the humidity is over 80%. So much for living beach side but what the heck I can ride 12 months a year minus the lost days for Hurricanes.

Steve Long
    Cocoa Beach, Fl

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Super Size Brilliant!!

Yes it is a paradox
    My Bikes
    Trek, Orbea,Specilized
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good reply Stapfam. Just teasing. Thanks

My Bikes
    Giant Cypress SX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88
    I suspect we sweat just as much when the humidity is lower, however, it evaporates a lot quicker. Hence, the extremely wet clothing and sense that we're sweating more. This also makes it a bit harder for our boides to cool themselves given the evaporation is what helps. Personally, I'll take it over the bone dry, windy and cold winter rides.
    I'm sure you are exactly right, NOS. Sure glad not everyone has heard of New Mexico.
    Some people are like a Slinky ... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88
    I would agree that in high heat conditions with low humidity the body probably does sweat as much. However, I would disagree that at the same temp and lower humidity you sweat as much. The sweating is the bodies way of trying to cool by creating evaporative cooling on the skin. In high humidity this cooling does not take place even at lower temps and the body sweats more and eventually you end up with heat exhaustion and dehydration. The same thing can happen at higher temps, >100, and low humidty since the evaporation also does not result in the cooling the body needs since the air temp is so hot.

2013 Noah RS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear that it's too hot and humid for you to ride. In another couple of months you can come north and you can ride in the cold and snow with us!
    We do experieince the heat and humidty during the summer but the fall has some of the better weather for riding, cooler and less humidty. I will admit riding in the winter on a clear day around 25-30 F with fresh snow on the trail is a lot of fun.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jisaak
    Sorry to hear that it's too hot and humid for you to ride. In another couple of months you can come north and you can ride in the cold and snow with us!
    We do experieince the heat and humidty during the summer but the fall has some of the better weather for riding, cooler and less humidty. I will admit riding in the winter on a clear day around 25-30 F with fresh snow on the trail is a lot of fun.
    I do ride in the humidty, I just don't like it much. I will pass on your offer to go north. After spending my first 30 years living in Chicago I have given up snow and cold weather for good, other than the occasional visit for a few days. Believe me I will trade 40 below wind chill and 3' of snow for 80 and humidity any day

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    Cannondale R600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecrd
    Believe me I will trade 40 below wind chill and 3' of snow for 80 and humidity any day
    Amen. I can't relate to this discussion -- it was 42F here this AM!

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Giant Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stone, I live in the south end of Martin County, Florida and just got started doing some serious riding. I've lived in the Florida heat and humidity almost my whole life, which is quite a long time. When I used to run a lot, I alternated pairs of shoes every day--they usually rotted out from the sweat long before the bottoms wore out!

The old runners' trick, which I've been using on the bike, is to treat your house as your first water stop. Drink a bunch of water right before you leave. Then try to drink steadily, but not too much at once.

Up to an hour, in the early AM, I'm okay without water, although I drink some. My longest ride has been a bit over 30 miles last Saturday morning and I went through 24 ounces of water, 20 ounces of Gatorade, and I still lost between 3 and 4 pounds of water weight in less than 2 hours.

But sweat is your friend whent the humidity is high. It keeps the core cooler and you do adjust. Just stay after it!

John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Current temp...at 1:45pm is 90 with relative humidity of 27%. Not bad for September.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast