Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   less daylight riding time... (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/227180-less-daylight-riding-time.html)

dauphin 09-10-06 10:05 AM

less daylight riding time...

I was just checking the intellicast ten day forecast and noticed the changing sunset times. This evening it's 7:20 and next Sunday they say 7:09. I am going to have to start riding early in the morning!

CrossChain 09-10-06 10:36 AM

Pity us poor workaday types who have to be there at 8:00 and home by 4:30 or 5:00. That's why some of us can't be too uppity about windtrainers....boring as they may be. It's not just Jack Frost that will be nipping at my heels....another winter locked in with Coach Troy. Lord.

Artkansas 09-10-06 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dauphin
I was just checking the intellicast ten day forecast and noticed the changing sunset times. This evening it's 7:20 and next Sunday they say 7:09. I am going to have to start riding early in the morning!

Time to order extra batteries for my headlamp. ;)

Digital Gee 09-10-06 10:47 AM

Just ignore daylight savings time changes and you'll be fine. Keep adjusting your clock so that there's always some daylight after dinner. Don't be such a slave to society! :D

stapfam 09-10-06 10:59 AM

Get a set of Lights?????

DnvrFox 09-10-06 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Just ignore daylight savings time changes and you'll be fine. Keep adjusting your clock so that there's always some daylight after dinner. Don't be such a slave to society! :D

Better yet, DG - just follow the sun. Head SOUTH during our winter. Australia, New Zealand, Argentina, Brazil, Chile, South Africa.

Louis 09-10-06 11:27 AM

If you're trying to squeeze in those last few late day miles and you're riding straight into the blinding sunset, keep in mind...the drivers approaching from behind might not see you.

Hask12 09-10-06 12:34 PM

Isn't it stranger how it gets dark out earlier right around this time, every year?

George W. Diego 09-10-06 04:54 PM

Assuming we maintain control of the congress, I'm planning to offer new legislation that will legalize Individual Daylight Savings Programs. It's time that every citizen had private daylight savings programs, as well, rather than depending on the government all the time. Time can be better managed by individual citizens, who know what's best for themselves.

Vote early and often!

Grampy™ 09-10-06 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dauphin

How many days till spring? :cry: :( :cry: :mad: :cry:

Bikewer 09-10-06 05:02 PM

Hehe- get a job that lets you ride. I wouldn't reccomend police work to everyone, but that is one of the benifits.

Mojo Slim 09-10-06 05:04 PM

Or retire.

will dehne 09-10-06 06:13 PM

It is 7:00 PM, dark and raining here in this town. The shopping centers were crowded. I went shopping for a gift for my significant other. The Borders and Barns & Noble were out of parking space. My wife and I did homebound things.
I will go on my trainer for one hour and have some great wine and expensive cheese later. Open my wife's 65 Birthday present and celebrate life.
Could be much worse. Think of countries without winter but continuous trouble.

nedgoudy 09-10-06 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stapfam
Get a set of Lights?????

I would say you are good for lights
Stapfam, after hearing about your
$500 headlight.

But as for riding in general... if the
weather warrants it... the night time
is the right time... for bike riding.

I absolutely enjoy night riding on my
Rhoades Car to the MAX in the fall
and autumn.

MTBLover 09-10-06 07:01 PM

Lights!

I agree with ned and stapfam. Actually, I generally feel safer riding in the dark with a good set of lights than I do in the daytime, especially at sunset. Something about those strobes that really catch the drivers' eye :eek:

oilman_15106 09-10-06 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George W. Diego
Assuming we maintain control of the congress, I'm planning to offer new legislation that will legalize Individual Daylight Savings Programs. It's time that every citizen had private daylight savings programs, as well, rather than depending on the government all the time. Time can be better managed by individual citizens, who know what's best for themselves.

Vote early and often!

As Gov Ed Taxdell, PA says "I see voters, dead voters".