Thread: Second Century.

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Second Century.

I had written sometime in the early spring, (when foolish thoughts and projections are made) that I wanted to ride 2 centuries this year. One, just to prove I could do it and a second to prove that the first wasn't a fluke.

This weekend I participated in our local MS140 ride, the "Tour to Tanglewood". Saturday was the century ride followed by a nice 40 mile recovery ride Sunday morning. I had never participated in such a large cycling event before. The registration of riders was somewhere over 1,400. About 200-300 were riding the full century on Sat. There was unbelievable SAG support and official rest areas on every part of the route and the weather here in NC was about as perfect as you could expect.

Anyway the ride was just a terrific experience. On Sat. I rode 102.55 miles in 5 hours 57 minutes for an average pace of 17.3 mph. The first 40 miles or so I rode in a line with many others and the miles just flew by. The remaining 60 or so I pretty much rode solo always with others in sight and either passing or being passed. The difference with my first in July was then I rode 108.68 miles in 6 hours 51 minutes, that made this almost an hour better.
    This morning the riders set out again and I rode a total of 42.62 miles. Felt a little tired by the end and rode a little slower averaging 16.6 mph.
    It really was a fine weekend that I enjoyed immensely. I met fellow BF rider "Knobster". He hangs out in Commuting and the Long Distance riding forums
    The rest area support was great with possible stops every 10-12 miles and at each stop, water, gatorade, fruit, cookies, sandwiches. I really think I rode 140 miles and gained weight!
    This was my last major goal for the year. My mileage goal is 2,500 and I am now at 2,206 so I think the remaining mileage will be higher than my goal. Also, I now get into a heavy business season with many commitments as well as overseas travel.
    My next goal for the year is to ride more with my son so that when the Polar Bear ride comes around on Jan 1, we can ride the shorter loop (26 miles) together.

It has been interesting to set these goals and have it all come together. I recieve much encouragement here in the 50+ as well as sage and not so sage advice. Since I ride alone 99.9% of the time and don't know anyone else who really rides, the forum has been a great sounding board for me to peruse and post to. When I get down I always know that either DG or one of the Diego clan can cheer me and reading other post where riders decribe problems, joys, new found stuff and toys lets me know there is a huge crowd with concerns similar to mine, (pie for instance).

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by p8rider
    I had written sometime in the early spring, (when foolish thoughts and projections are made) that I wanted to ride 2 centuries this year. One, just to prove I could do it and a second to prove that the first wasn't a fluke.

(pie for instance).
    Still enough time for a 3rd. ride if you want. Work permitting of course. I know a lot is mentioned about pie on the rides but just face it. If you are fit enough and put enough into the rides- then you not only deserve pie- you need it. I can still remember my early rides when everyone else would be tucking into a breakfast, and all I could manage was a buttered scone, and I struggled eating that. I knew I had arrived into cycling when I could not only manage a breakfast- but later in the ride I got into the necessity of meeting the expectations of the forum and having to find another cafe for pie.

Well done on the ride, and forget the foolish thoughts and plan for the next ride.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very, very well done-one heck of a time as well!! Riding with a group can definitely make a difference!!

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting to read stories like yours.

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    p8rider,

That's great. I remember that we both finished our first metric at the same time and you have already gotten to 2 centuries! I also still have plans to do at least one this year but my distance riding does not seem to be coming together. I can hammer 50miles and my speed on my daily 20 has gone up a lot this year. However, once I get over 60mi I still seem to suffer a lot.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    stonecrd - It's funny how quickly the time and effort go. For my first metric I recall being pretty tired when I finished, as I was last year when I completed my birthday ride 51 miles.
    As others have said there is a real wall somewhere between 65 and 80 miles. On my first century in July with 92 degree heat it really hit me at a little over 80 miles. Since then I have ridden many more base miles, just ridden, not long rides, but my 15 mile morning exercise ride and a bunch of 25 mile rides while I was on holiday at the beach. Last week I did a 57 mile ride on a pre tour and felt great.
    I was so surprised on Saturday when I finished the century that I never hit the wall and actually felt pretty good. I really died that night at home and was in bed by 9:00pm. However I was pleased the next morning at the 7:30 start that I felt good and had a nice 40 mile ride. I then spent the afternoon doing chores around the house including out in the sun pulling Virginia Creeper from the gardens.
    I can only attribute the change between this ride and the one in July to just riding alot. Being 10 degrees cooler surely helped as did having all of the wonderful rest areas with food etc. I wasn't kidding when I said I believe I gained weight on the ride!
    I'm glad I got that first century done. Like many firsts it was really hard, but it has paved the way to make 50-60 mile rides just a nice excursion.

My Bikes
    Felt F4C, Cannondale F900SX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How was the car traffic? My biggest fear in joining an organized ride is the amount of vehicular traffic to contend with..

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Car traffic was not bad at all. The route is planned out onto alot of rural and secondary rounds. In busy areas there was traffic guidance provided by local police and sheriff forces. You have to remember we are talking about 1,500 cyclists

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyRider
    How was the car traffic? My biggest fear in joining an organized ride is the amount of vehicular traffic to contend with..
    I was very concerned about the same thing. These large organized tours expose the car drivers to bikers. Most do not want to cause harm. (there is always an occasional a**) I am much more concerned about a solo ride, on winding country roads, and some car driver is trying to set a speed record.
    I hear many more accidents from solo bikers than car to bike accidents on tours.
    But perhaps "jppe" or "DnvrFox" have statistics on that? My opinion is just anecdotal observation.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by will dehne
    I was very concerned about the same thing. These large organized tours expose the car drivers to bikers. Most do not want to cause harm. (there is always an occasional a**) I am much more concerned about a solo ride, on winding country roads, and some car driver is trying to set a speed record.
    This has been my experience, perhaps Dfox or jppe can shed some light with real numbers, but the rides where I have had close calls have all been out in the country during nice clear weather. During my morning exercise rides in W-S at 5:30 I have never had a problem or scare from a car and of course there was never a problem on this tour ride.

My Bikes
    03 Raleigh Professional (steel)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my experience, group rides should be safer since the drivers have seen other riders before they get to you, and aren't taken by surprise. It's the ones that don't see you because they're not aware that there are bikes about that are the most dangerous.

Those and the idiots that forget all the passing rules when passing a bike ...
    Stupidity got us into this mess - why can't it get us out?

- Will Rogers

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by will dehne
    I hear many more accidents from solo bikers than car to bike accidents on tours.
    But perhaps "jppe" or "DnvrFox" have statistics on that? My opinion is just anecdotal observation.
    Can't state statistics but There is a ride I do in the New Forest which is a big tourist area. Now one idiot car driver- getting upset with around 400 riders has a problem. The cyclists are riding correctly but the one idiot can be dangerous. No problem as there are riders on the ride that are policemen- They have all their legal credentials with them and radios. A good PR job started about 4 years ago and it works.

Unfortunately there are always accidents on the big rides, and it used to the norm on the UK's biggest ride that at least one rider was seriously injured in an incident with a car. This year, when I did it, No car accidents- but I came across 4 serious bike to bike accidents- or just bike to road or tree.

With the increase in mobile phones- Any car driver that wants to cause a problem will be reported instantly. The police do take action when they get 4 or 5 calls about the idiot and do take action. This has cut out a lot of car related incidents and the motorists have to respect all other users on the road, including cyclists.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, next question: how do you stock up for a large organized ride? What tools/equipment do you take? How about extra food?
    2006 Felt F4C
    2000 Cannondale F900SX

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyRider
    OK, next question: how do you stock up for a large organized ride? What tools/equipment do you take? How about extra food?
    The nice thing about a large organized ride is the the organization does all of the stocking up. You only need your regular riding extras, small multitool, spare tube, the usual fix a tire stuff. During this ride they had maintainence groups from all of the local bike shops manning repair stations at each rest area. If you had a problem on the road, a SAG vehicle would pick you and bike up and drop you at the nearest station.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, it sounds like they had all bases covered. I'll have to look into one of these for myself.
    2006 Felt F4C
    2000 Cannondale F900SX