Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blackberry....are you out there somewhere ??

Haven't seen Blackberry posting for a while....he's doing just fine I assume. When someone regular drops off it's kind of noticable.

And of course, DG, who ran off with the former Miss Dee-Cup from the La Jolla Hooters International Competition. He sure had us fooled.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blackberry left us, sadly, when the TDF / Floyd Landis doping controversy hit the news, and people began posting disparaging things about cultures and nationalities other than their own. He said he found that distasteful, and he signed off.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have been wondering about him also.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    and people began posting disparaging things about cultures and nationalities other than their own. He said he found that distasteful, and he signed off.
    We are thick enough (Thick skinned that is) on this side of the pond to take the disparaging remarks. And I hope so are you on your side- By the way. Had any test rides recently?
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DeeGee.......you wouldn't quit BF50Plus over this Dee Cup scandal thing, would you? I mean, we're all wishing she'd chosen us. Well, maybe not PastorBob.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe he just didn't like that the official pie was Blueberry

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This post prompted me to try and email Blackberry. Two surgeries in the last 10 weeks have had me laying low, but I had been missing him from the forums. I have just gone back through and checked Blackberry's posts. Sadly, his web page and email have also been removed so there will probably be no further contact with him.

He was evidently seriously offended; by whom and by what I will leave for others to discover, but it had to do with racial overtone and broadbrush generalizations. Truthfully, I can't blame him. Bigots abound in all places.

As the old cartoon said....exit stage right and he's out of here.

I think its a shame. I considered him a friend in this forum.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    We are thick enough (Thick skinned that is) on this side of the pond to take the disparaging remarks. And I hope so are you on your side- By the way. Had any test rides recently?
    Nope, no test rides. To tell the truth, although it took nearly 1,000 miles, my El Cheapo Giant Cypress SX is finally dialed in so nicely I do not lust after a new bike at this time. Sure, a new one would be shinier and probably allow me to go faster or farther, but I'm really enjoying the quality of the ride that I get from my Giant.

I've come to realize that while I may WANT a new bike, I do not NEED a new bike, at least at this time. I'm following the advice given me by the good people at Adams Avenue Bicycles: "Ride the h**l out that bike until it's all used up before you buy another!"
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monoborracho
    This post prompted me to try and email Blackberry. Two surgeries in the last 10 weeks have had me laying low, but I had been missing him from the forums. I have just gone back through and checked Blackberry's posts. Sadly, his web page and email have also been removed so there will probably be no further contact with him.

He was evidently seriously offended; by whom and by what I will leave for others to discover, but it had to do with racial overtone and broadbrush generalizations. Truthfully, I can't blame him. Bigots abound in all places.

As the old cartoon said....exit stage right and he's out of here.

I think its a shame. I considered him a friend in this forum.
    +1

If you go back to the post I started about whether Floyd cheated, you'll see Blackberry's final posts.
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossChain
    DeeGee.......you wouldn't quit BF50Plus over this Dee Cup scandal thing, would you? I mean, we're all wishing she'd chosen us. Well, maybe not PastorBob.
    i'm unusually slow today so I'm not getting the reference, CC. But I'm not going anywhere any time soon!
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I e-mailed Blackberry right after his last post. He was kind enough to respond. He indicated that the bigoted way in which some individuals were treated simply violated his sense of fairness. He also noted that it was perhaps too much to expect on anonymous message boards. Finally I expressed my sense that I thought the 50+ fourm would be a richer place should he return.
    Last edited by NOS88; 09-11-06 at 07:32 PM.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did not realize that Blackberry was no longer lurking and the reasons why. Like others, I'll greatly miss his insights and sense of humor. I hate it came to something like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blackberry was, in fact, a warm-hearted person who obviously favored harmony over conflict and harshness. We can't make people stay and hate to see anyone leave for such reasons. As forums go, BF50 seems very mild-mannered, well-intentioned and "communal". We are also, to a great degree, mutually careful to keep things that way.

Personally, it would have been better for Blackberry to stay.....it only a few who offend generally....and, if anything, we need every gentle voice we can-- or else there's a vacuum that is filled by those less gentle.

***Now that I think of it, there was a poster some time ago who raced, was highly successful, but then broke bones in his neck in a crash and was having a hard time recovering-- as he wrote in his last post. I can't for the life of me recall his screen-name. Anybody help here?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blackberry was, in fact, a warm-hearted person who obviously favored harmony over conflict and harshness. We can't make people stay and hate to see anyone leave for such reasons. As forums go, BF50 seems very mild-mannered, well-intentioned and "communal". We are also, to a great degree, mutually careful to keep things that way.

Personally, it would have been better for Blackberry to stay.....it only a few who offend generally....and, if anything, we need every gentle voice we can-- or else there's a vacuum that is filled by those less gentle.

***Now that I think of it, there was a poster some time ago who raced, was highly successful, but then broke bones in his neck in a crash and was having a hard time recovering-- as he wrote in his last post. I can't for the life of me recall his screen-name. Anybody help here?

Yes, I miss Blackberry's posts too. It would be great to see him drop in now and then.

Wish I could recall the screen-name of the racer you mentioned but it eludes me too.

While we're on the subject of missing 50+ers...what happened to Old99? He seems to have slipped away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis

While we're on the subject of missing 50+ers...what happened to Old99? He seems to have slipped away.
    As I recall, he dropped off for a while explaining he was spending too much compulsive time at BF and at weight lifting sites. He returned for a short time and then dropped off permanently it seems. Sorry to see him go as well. Never found out how his custom Reynolds 531 he'd ordered turned out.

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I recall, he dropped off for a while explaining he was spending too much compulsive time at BF and at weight lifting sites. He returned for a short time and then dropped off permanently it seems. Sorry to see him go as well. Never found out how his custom Reynolds 531 he'd ordered turned out.
    I believe you are referring to "OldCrank". He was a talkative type, big weight lifter always having new photos as his avatar. Nice Guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by p8rider
    I believe you are referring to "OldCrank". He was a talkative type, big weight lifter always having new photos as his avatar. Nice Guy.
    Yes....Old Crank....so much for my memory, but then that's why I'm at 50Plus.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. I do have Blackberry's email, if anyone thinks it appropriate he be contacted.

2. We do have an old99 who rebuilds bikes. Here is the Rogues Gallery link.

I did not read any part of the referenced TdF Landis thread. I am sorry it seemed to get out of hand.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    Yep that's him, 2nd down on the right. Also a nice guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. I do have Blackberry's email, if anyone thinks it appropriate he be contacted.

I did not read any part of the referenced TdF Landis thread. I am sorry it seemed to get out of hand.
    I wish you would contact him. I tried to do so through his profile but got no response.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dauphin
    I wish you would contact him. I tried to do so through his profile but got no response.
    What would you want me to say?
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As the father-figure here (react to that one!), you might say there are many who miss his point of view and his contributions to the on-going conversation here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as usual, crosschain crystalizes my thought

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Promise him the demise of the Diego clan if he chooses to grace us with his presence. Not that I'm in a position to make such a promise, mind you...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Paulie
    Promise him the demise of the Diego clan if he chooses to grace us with his presence. Not that I'm in a position to make such a promise, mind you...
    Big Paulie, how COULD you say such a thing???
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast