Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Birthday ride!!

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Birthday ride!!

With a tough century coming up next weekend I opted to go up to the NC mountains and get in some climbing today. It was surprisingly cooler than I was expecting but once I got into the climbing portions it was perfect conditions.

The weather was great until ol' Grandfather Mountain saw me pedaling near it's base along the Parkway and caused a huge, huge downpour. I wound up riding for at least an hour in cold, cold rain that was coming down so hard there was an inch or two of water on the roads. I was asking myself-so this is how I chose to spend my birthday????

There were a couple of descents where I'd normally hit 40 mph where I was braking trying to avoid hydroplaning and going down. Just typical of how fickle the weather can be up that way.

Anyway I got in about 70 miles with about 6500 feet of climbing. Now I just have to drop a couple more pounds so NO birthday cake or pie until after the ride next weekend!! That's my excuse for keeping my birthday spread out for a week!!!

My Bikes
    2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a very happy birthday!

You can have some cake, but only if you don't take the second water bottle next weekend.
    I'm the world's forgotten boy. The one who's searchin', searchin' to destroy.

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good ride.... sounds like you are ready for the century.
    Carpe who?

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jppe - You do more on a prep weekend than most of us manage for the main event.
    Nothing like a good mountain rainy ride to make you think of golf.
    Good luck next weekend. I believe it's the Bridge to Bridge?