Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My First 41 Miler

I started riding seriously about 4 weeks ago. I have doing about 80 to 90 miles a week, doing 25 miles and last weekend a 34 miler. Yesterday I did a 41 miler with two 12% climbs and several other hills. I averaged 15.3 mph, being able to ride about 19 to 20 mph on the flats, with several climbs that lower the average speed. I am getting ready for a 57 miler on my 57th birthday, November 29. I have a 12% climb two miles into the ride and the same 12% coming up the back side at the end of the ride. Pretty excited about the progress I am making and loosing some weight in the process, 207 down to 196. I have a ways to go yet, but it is enjoyable and I am getting stronger. Anyone out there have an tips for training for this? I am riding solo as there don't seem to be any roadies in my area.
    "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." --General George S. Patton

Best regards,

Duhhuh

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations! Fine job...

As for your 57 miler, just keep riding. You're probably already fit enough to do it if you had to do it this weekend, so keep doing longish rides of 25, 30, 35 miles or so. I've never done a century, but I've heard over and over that you don't need to do 100 miles to train for 100 miles. Sounds to me like you're already a lot closer to being able to do 57 than you realize.

I did my first Ride Your Birthday early in my re-entry to cycling as well, and just took it slow and kept my focus on the goal. You have plenty of time to keep building up those legs. You can do it!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    November, huh? I guess you live someplace warm. Or you're a tough geezer!

Like DG said, just keep riding. And when you do that 57 miler, resist any urge to hammer - just keep a nice comfortable cadence. Drink lots of water. Bring energy snacks (or stop along the way).

And smile!
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcoppola
    November, huh? I guess you live someplace warm. Or you're a tough geezer!

Like DG said, just keep riding. And when you do that 57 miler, resist any urge to hammer - just keep a nice comfortable cadence. Drink lots of water. Bring energy snacks (or stop along the way).

And smile!
    Weather could be a consideration here in North Central WV. Good possibility of snow. I may have to schedule a day or two either side to get weather to ride in. Brrrrrrr. I'll put on some clothes and give it a go anyhoo. Thanks for the encouragement fellows.
    "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." --General George S. Patton

Best regards,

Duhhuh

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by duhhuh
    Weather could be a consideration here in North Central WV. Good possibility of snow. I may have to schedule a day or two either side to get weather to ride in. Brrrrrrr. I'll put on some clothes and give it a go anyhoo. Thanks for the encouragement fellows.
    The ride your age on your birthday- is a bit awkward for some of us. My birthday is generraly cold wet and nasty so I decide on a day in the summer and do it then- when the weather is a bit more suitable. It's not cheating and just think of those that will not be able to ride on their birthday- 6' of snow does not make for a good ride of any distance. As far as I am concerned- the ones that have it easy are the ones with Summer birthdays that do not get out and join me around my birthday on a 30 mile offroad jaunt. Or they live in a sunny clime like DG and can ride all year round without the fear of Frostbite or Black Ice.

On the training side- no need- 41 miles now and with a couple of 12% hills- you are ready. make certain you drink enough and munch right the way through the ride and you will be OK.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the rules of thumb I have heard is to get at least one ride in that is at least 70% of the length of your target.

You have made that, so the rest is gravy!

Just keep working, and as said earlier, take it easy and stay hydrated. With two months left to go, you may actually even accidentally get in a 57 mile ride before then if you keep at the rate you are going.
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

My Bikes
    Felt F4C, Cannondale F900SX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    41 Miles? That is great. I would call that spectacular progress for someone who got serious about riding 4 weeks ago! The general challenge is to be able to keep up that pace during the cold weather. I am frantically investing in long sleeve jerseys and tights. I am also looking to get some undershirts so that I can take advantage of layering!

Keep up the good work. Ride and enjoy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terrific progress after only 4 weeks! And the weight loss makes those 12% hills A LOT easier to climb.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nmichell
    Terrific progress after only 4 weeks! And the weight loss makes those 12% hills A LOT easier to climb.
    +1 Great job!
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831