User Tag List

My Bikes
    2006 Specialized Sirrus Sport, 2006 Bianchi Giro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auburn Century is Saturday!

They call this the "Wildest Ride in the West", and after riding parts of it a few times, "wild" doesn't begin to describe it!

After 2 1/2 weeks of worker's comp hell, finally saw an orthopedist today who told me no riding until at least the middle of October because of an "h" shaped crack in my patella. So -- this leaves dauphin all by his lonesome to make this ride Saturday. No more waiting every few miles for the tortoise (moi!) to catch up. (Sure miss hearing how much he likes to see me ride...even if he's lying, it's encouraging!).

So I don't get to ride. But you can bet there will be at least one pie waiting for him. I don't know...I think 106 miles with extreme hills warrants at least one peach and maybe one banana cream (I've never made, much less tasted blueberry, but maybe now's the time to give it a go!). Hopefully the fires that are still burning around Northern California will be out by then. Breathing right now is kind of tough!
    2006 Bianchi Giro
    2006 Specialized Sirrus Sport

My Bikes
    Cannondale R600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never tasted blueberry pie? Why are you depriving yourself?

Sorry about missing the ride, but you will be back out there soon!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzy_cyclist
    Never tasted blueberry pie? Why are you depriving yourself?

Sorry about missing the ride, but you will be back out there soon!

+1. Once you go blueberry, you never go back.

Sorry to hear you won't be riding for a spell, but it's at least a good thing to know what's going on with the knee.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looking out my office window I see lots of smoke today. It seems to be worse in the mornings. I have my doubts about the century even taking place due to what is being called the Ralston Fire. As of yesterday it was only 15% contained and had consumed 5500 acres in the Tahoe and El Dorado national forests. We may just have to stay home and eat pie.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dauphin
    We may just have to stay home and eat pie.
    That is not allowed- to eat pie for saturday- it has to be on a ride. Except for Seafoam. She has to Cook the pie for the rest of us to eat. Don't even mind if it is virtual pie- just looking at the pictures of her fresshly baked pies will have me drooling.

Mind you- Home made pie is better than any other so I suppose you can go out and do a quick 50 or so and then come back for pie.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After a week of fire and smoke...yesterday the temps dropped and today the air is crisp and clear. It seems that the Auburn Century will take place as scheduled with only a slight route change to avoid the fire area. The monster hill "Iowa Hill Rd" is still in play. Since seafoam has a broken knee I have been somewhat down about losing my riding partner. In fact I had just about decided to skip the century altogether. My mileage for Sept is only 100 since I've been occupied with other activities. Since May my total is 1600 miles so I still feel pretty good about conditioning. Last Sunday I did 52 with no problem. All that being said, I went to the LBS and checked in a little while ago and got my wrist band and swag bag signifying that I would be doing the 106 mile route tomorrow. Hopefully I will have a good reason to enjoy some pie tomorrow!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    speaking of the monster hill...how would you guys tackle this thing? 1.75 miles with a 13.5% average grade?
    the motorbikes, unfortunately, are not an option!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dauphin
    speaking of the monster hill...how would you guys tackle this thing? 1.75 miles with a 13.5% average grade?
    the motorbikes, unfortunately, are not an option!
    In the lowest gear and slowly. With seafoam at the top with the pie aswell. Or a Replacement set of legs halfway up.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan