Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Three Milestones This Weekend

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 09-11-06, 01:42 PM

Bikes: Felt F4C, Cannondale F900SX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, I finally pushed the odometer on my Felt F4C to over 1,000 miles yesterday. I purchased my bike on July 8 so it was just over two months ago I started on my cycling journey.

I also pushed my ride distance to 35 miles which is the longest for me yet. However, I fear that I will have to step up the pace to keep up with the rest of you guys!

Finally, I tunred in my fastest time yesterday as well (51 minutes and 32 seconds for 15.51 miles). Hey, I know that it is only slightly faster than a kid on a go-cart, but at least it's a personal improvement (it used to take me and hour and 5 minutes to complete this).
Old 09-11-06, 02:00 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JerseyRider
Well, I finally pushed the odometer on my Felt F4C to over 1,000 miles yesterday. I purchased my bike on July 8 so it was just over two months ago I started on my cycling journey.

I also pushed my ride distance to 35 miles which is the longest for me yet. However, I fear that I will have to step up the pace to keep up with the rest of you guys!

Finally, I tunred in my fastest time yesterday as well (51 minutes and 32 seconds for 15.51 miles). Hey, I know that it is only slightly faster than a kid on a go-cart, but at least it's a personal improvement (it used to take me and hour and 5 minutes to complete this).
500 miles is not bad- better than my 300 a month I am doing. Your average for the hour is probably higher than mine aswell so no problems there either. No need to step up the pace- but you have a chance on Saturday to join in the ride for PIE so find a decent cafe 20 miles away- ride to it, eat the pie and don't forget the pics, and ride back. 40 miles with a break in the middle should up your ride distance- and get you to hit one of the main objectives of the 50+ forum.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-11-06, 02:02 PM

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's alot of riding since July and your time over 15 miles number is pretty good also, you have nothing to complain about with those. Distance is just one of those things that comes with alot of riding. My own exercise ride is 15.85 miles and I have a very difficult time riding it much over 18mph or so, which is right about where you are. Yet here on a long distance ride I rode at 17.3 and 16.6 over two days. In my opinion that is not alot of drop off in performance.
Old 09-11-06, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Nice riding. Glad to hear you're giving the Felt F4C a workout. I test rode one about mid summer. It's a lot of bike for the money.
Old 09-11-06, 05:35 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
If it helps any you're off to a better start than a lot of us!! Keep those wheels turning!
Old 09-11-06, 08:07 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I do 5 miles daily, to work and back. Is there time for anything else? I used to do 19 miles a day at my last job, but those days are past.
Old 09-12-06, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Do you use Pete's bike shop?
Your mileage and speed are impressive, keep up the good work.
Old 09-12-06, 02:17 PM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts

That's 18.06 mph for the 15.51 mile ride. That's very good. How much does the bike weigh without the saddle bag, without frame pump?
Old 09-12-06, 02:50 PM

Bikes: 06 Bacchetta Giro 20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Felt F4C

Originally Posted by NOS88
Nice riding. Glad to hear you're giving the Felt F4C a workout. I test rode one about mid summer. It's a lot of bike for the money.
I'm not really shopping for another bike just yet, other than that tandem my daughter keeps talking about, but I did happen to spy a F4C a couple of weeks ago that they had a sale sign on for a little over
2k, I think it might have been about 2100 or 2200. That really struck me as a great deal for a full carbon bike with a nice componants package.
Old 09-12-06, 04:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I purchased mine at Pete's Bike Shop. I have had absolutely no problems with the bike and Pete's is a terrific shop.

You should know that the bike has a Dura-Ace Rear der and Ultegra up front. The brakes seem to be generics. This, along with the Shimano wheels may be why the price is soo attractive. The bike is performing flawlessly however.

One worry is all of the ominous "warnings" in the user manual as well as a label on the frame exhorting users to inspect the frame occasionally for cracks and signs of stress. Is this normal?
Old 09-12-06, 04:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
F4C weight

I read that the F4C weight is 18lbs without pedals. That just means I need to lose more wiehgt in order to be competitive!!
Old 09-13-06, 03:03 PM
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
One worry is all of the ominous "warnings" in the user manual as well as a label on the frame exhorting users to inspect the frame occasionally for cracks and signs of stress. Is this normal?
Ha! I made the mistake of asking for the owner's manual with my recent new bike, only to discover that it was written entirely by lawyers. Totally content-free -- nothing but warnings, many of them ridiculous.
Old 09-13-06, 09:56 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Nice going X 3.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 09-14-06, 07:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Some very nice achievements! Glad to hear it and glad for you. The Felt is obviously treating you well.