Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 09-13-06, 10:17 AM   #1
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
new to 50+ posters.

Heck of a lot of postings coming from people that I do not recognise. May be altzeimers or are they new members? I know that the 50+ is getting a lot of readers from the other sections, and Some of them will post here in answer to some of the questions asked, but I would like to know if they are new 50+ers or just interested parties joining in the sense that we have.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-06, 10:59 AM   #2
guybierhaus

Bikes: Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB
+1
guybierhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-06, 11:36 AM   #3
leob1

Bikes:
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The day of my birth was July 30, 1956. So i guess that would make me a younger 50+er. But age is only a state of mind.
leob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-06, 12:58 PM   #4
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
Well, some of us are 50+, others of us just like to be in an environment where we don't get heckled because we have no fashion sense...some of us just like riding bikes that are almost 50+ themselves...and some of us just like the rather more peaceful 'aura' to be found here.

Somehow I just can't see Euro ever deigning to visit this forum. That's a good thing.

Perhaps Euro Diego? Is that a good thing?

East Hill
East Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-06, 01:13 PM   #5
centexwoody

Bikes: 2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
Dude, Master Tandem, you're not advocating a 60+ Forum are you?

Leaving us mere 50+ folks out here in the cyberwasteland without your wise counsel? Or is this a welcome, howdy, how-dee-do to th' new folks on the digital block?

Since I'm out here in Germany having to suffer endless rounds of Koelsch bier, oy oy oy! Willkommen!
Old 09-13-06, 01:20 PM   #6
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Bikes:
"Since I'm out here in Germany having to suffer endless rounds of Koelsch bier, oy oy oy! Willkommen!"

You fiend, you!
jcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-06, 01:53 PM   #7
stapfam
Time for a change.

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quote:
Originally Posted by centexwoody
Dude, Master Tandem, you're not advocating a 60+ Forum are you?

Leaving us mere 50+ folks out here in the cyberwasteland without your wise counsel? Or is this a welcome, howdy, how-dee-do to th' new folks on the digital block?

Since I'm out here in Germany having to suffer endless rounds of Koelsch bier, oy oy oy! Willkommen!
Like a womans age- I am a 50+er and no more. Welcome to all the "New" 50+ers, and those somewhat near the age, but like East Hill- I wanted a confirmation that this forum has a lot to offer, and not only for those that are a bit older than most, but as I said- there do seem to be a lot of names I am not recognising. Most newcomers announce themselves, but some of the postings seem to be from those that have not aquired the niceties of life- Like Pie or ride your age when it is a real challenge or putting up with endless enquiries of What new bike should I buy to accompany the 4 I already have. Thankfully that one has been put to rest -possibly until spring but rest assured it will raise its head again.

I have been looking at some of the other sections of the forum again- and I am sorry- you will have to put up with me here. There is no way I can keep up with the stronger legs, the one track minds that cannot see any other point of view except their own, or the sarcasm that goes when I put forward my views on the 15th posting this month on what widget is going to improve my speed on the flat.

Now when you come back- there are several of us that have not tried the German beer. Whats the hangover like after a few too many?

Spike Milligan
Old 09-13-06, 02:21 PM   #8
jimlandis

Bikes: cannondale 3.0, schwinn traveler, peugeot (1960), cannondale 4000si, cannondale mountain (1990)
October 9, 1943 is my birthday ... gosh, I'm overqualified. Truth be told, I don't accept that the youngsters can beat me up that hill coming up ... hope I never lose the competitiveness.
jimlandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-06, 02:21 PM   #9
wahoonc

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
I think I have might have posted in here a couple of times so I guess I better mind my manners and introduce myself I am not quite 50+ ( got 3.5 years to go) but feel way older some days. I have been cycling in one capacity or another for over 35 years on a pretty regular basis. I also agree with the comment about the "tone" of some of the other sections of this forum. But I have discovered the secret to a peaceful life (well relatively peaceful) don't argue with an idiot...people won't be able to tell the difference so I let them post their controversies and argue about them to their hearts content. The one that is pathetic is the current thread in A&S over the 12 year old that was killed. BTW I won't post that thread. My cycling loves are internal geared bikes, touring and ramble riding. I do occasionally ride some single track. Current stable of bikes is around 9 or so. No go fast road bikes...not my style.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-06, 02:22 PM   #10
jimlandis

Bikes: cannondale 3.0, schwinn traveler, peugeot (1960), cannondale 4000si, cannondale mountain (1990)
Hey, what does that moniker under my name mean ... junior member?
jimlandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-06, 02:24 PM   #11
stapfam
Time for a change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlandis
You haven't done enough postings to qualify as a senior member and haven't been here long enough- Or you are actually a 14 year old and you have been caught out.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-13-06, 02:27 PM   #12
wahoonc

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
Quote:
You haven't posted enough...better get busy

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-06, 02:48 PM   #13
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
One other point, you can customize it as well...

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Little Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-06, 04:21 PM   #14
Bud Bent
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
Only as old as the women you feel

Quote:
Originally Posted by stapfam
Heck of a lot of postings coming from people that I do not recognise. May be altzeimers or are they new members? I know that the 50+ is getting a lot of readers from the other sections, and Some of them will post here in answer to some of the questions asked, but I would like to know if they are new 50+ers or just interested parties joining in the sense that we have.

Who's stapfam?

They say there are three sure signs of old age. One is loss of memory................ I forget what the other two are.
Bud Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-06, 05:21 PM   #15
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Euro Diego.......

Please, please no!!!!!

The combination of those two would send me the way of Blackberry!!
jppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-06, 09:09 PM   #16
duhhuh

Bikes:
November 29, 1949. I can join in a few more years. LOL.
duhhuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-06, 09:36 PM   #17
Nermal

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX
Uh oh. Bad manners on my part. Hi. My name is Roger. I'm 62, and ride a Giant Cypress, which is a big improvement for my style over the old mtb. At work, I like to be called Conan the Bookkeeper. They don't call me that, but I think it would be kind of nice.

May I join you, from time to time, as the spirit moves me?
Old 09-13-06, 09:40 PM   #18
big john

Bikes:
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I've posted here several times and never introduced myself. I live in the foothills in Los Angeles County, I'm 52 and I mostly ride road, about 500 miles per month, usually with members of a local club. I also love a good mountain bike ride, especially when the weather is wet or snowy.
big john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-06, 10:04 PM   #19
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2012 Masi Evoluzione
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal
Uh oh. Bad manners on my part. Hi. My name is Roger. I'm 62, and ride a Giant Cypress, which is a big improvement for my style over the old mtb. At work, I like to be called Conan the Bookkeeper. They don't call me that, but I think it would be kind of nice.

May I join you, from time to time, as the spirit moves me?
Depends. What's your stance on pie?

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Digital Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-06, 10:29 PM   #20
McDave

Bikes:
I've posted here once or twice without an introduction. Just call me Dave. Age 52. Semi-retired auto mechanic. I found an old Schwinn straightbar Cruiser Supreme in the scrap metal pile at work a few months ago. Enjoyed fixing it up so much I became hooked. I now have 5 Schwinns, 2 Ross', a Nishiki, and a Puch... really hooked. I don't get to ride as much as I would like due to gout, but do enjoy tinkering with the bikes in the new workshop I had to build to house all of them. Did I say I was hooked?

PS Mom used to make the best Creme pie and I still have her recipe. Can we bring our own pie and share, or do we just ride to various pie vendors?
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-06, 01:21 AM   #21
centexwoody

Bikes: 2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
welcome welcome welcome

[& yes, I'd say you're hooked with 9 bikes already...]
Old 09-14-06, 01:31 AM   #22
centexwoody

What's the hangover like after a few too many?

sorry to say, the hangover is not as bad as American beer from my 'limited' experience....perhaps because the Koelsch bier from keg is so fresh? It pours down the throat like the best liquid I've ever drunk. I just have to make sure that I eat enough during the day that the equivalent of 2 American beers (24 oz ?) won't trigger a headache the next day. Thank God I'm only here 5 weeks or I could just lend my addictive personality to something legal

the issue is not WHETHER you'll have a beer while sitting in the bierstube with friends after work but whether you should enjoy the 2nd one slowly, skip the 3rd round & re-join for the 4th - but these rounds are drinking .2 liter narrow glasses that have been scientifically designed to allow the foam head to dissolve into the air at just the right rate (!) Anyway, let's just say I'm not losing any weight & I don't think I will, no matter how much I ride.

PS At 50+, having a hangover counts in MY book as one of the most stupid if not THE most stupid thing I can do to myself. Personal idiosyncracy but I just HATE hangovers, always have, but fortunately the fresh Koelsch beer seems to allow me to have pleasurable evenings (or afternoons or lunches) drinking moderately without the problem.
Old 09-14-06, 11:46 AM   #23
Cassave

Bikes:
I'm also guilty of occasional posting without a self introduction.
I'm Steve, a commited cycloholic. I live at the edge of the Santa Monica mountains in the LA area so I
get lots of time grinding up hills. I commute on the bike at least 4 days a week, 20 mi round trip and
try to get at least 4 or 5 hours of riding on the weekends. Most of the components on my two bikes are as old as my riding career (32 years so far) so don't ask me about anything carbon.
And I'll take my pie filled with chili. Oh, yeah, I'll hit the double nickel next month.
Cassave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-06, 11:50 AM   #24
head_wind
Hypoxic Member

Bikes:
Lets see... what would constitute an adequate credential??? How about a USA-centric measure: I was 12 years old when the Brooklyn Dodgers forsook me and left for LA.
head_wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-06, 12:08 PM   #25
Nermal

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Depends. What's your stance on pie?
Well, for starters, pie are not square. Pie are round. Cornbread are square.