Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   What does your handle mean? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/228062-what-does-your-handle-mean.html)

roccobike 09-13-06 08:17 PM

Rocco is our pet's name. I just added bike for no particular reason. I wanted to use 'darkhelmet' from the movie Space Balls, but that name was taken one month before I joined by someone who posted once, and never posted again in over a year.
I wonder if Joe has an expiration date on names of members that don't post. Hmmmm.

colnagorider 09-13-06 08:18 PM

Five of my bikes are Colnagos or Colnago built hence...

quickKarl 09-13-06 08:51 PM

a long time ago there was a candy bar advertisement that went , i bet you cant eat a marathon bar quick, karl. a coworker started calling me that cause i did my work fast, (so i could goof off sooner.)
been hoping to live up to the name in my riding.
Karl

ticwanos 09-13-06 09:04 PM

Its how my family has pronounced the Cherokee name "Wutiquanaste". Its been abreviated over recent generations (final syllables are dropped in modern spoken Cherokee). The full meaning has been lost, though it probably means something like "stringy bird". It was given to me at birth and makes a convenient handle since no one else in the world uses it. I would have preferred being named "fearless grizzly" or "strong eagle", but if the shoe fits......

cranky old dude 09-13-06 09:04 PM

I like to think of the obvious (ie Cranky being lotsa pedal revolutions) though my family would probably refer to Cranky more as my demeanor. The rest speaks for itself.

duhhuh 09-13-06 09:05 PM

Mine is self explanatory! Actually, I started using it a long time ago and it really has no particular meaning, just a kind of alter-ego.

Digital Gee 09-13-06 09:31 PM

My handle came is the same as the one I use on a photography website, which is another passion of mine. G is my first initial, and it was all about digital photography, so...

But it was over here that people started calling me DG and DeeGee, and I'm quite fond of those nicknames.

Mojo Slim 09-13-06 09:39 PM

I was reading through my copy of "All Music Guide to the Blues" or was it "Music Hound Blues Essential Album Guide"(?) when I noticed that many blues artists had names that included "Little" or "Big" or "Magic" or "Slim" or something. My alter ego became "Big Magic Mojo Slim". I like the blues, but can't play, but if I could and if I had a band it would be "Crosstown Shuffle" and occaisonally we would be joined by "The Self-Help Horns". I may have too much time on my hands.

Velo Dog 09-13-06 09:44 PM

Coolest thing ever: A Velo Dog was a small-caliber pistol made for cyclists in Europe back in the days when packs of wild dogs roamed the forests and sometimes attacked travelers. I came across it somewhere and liked the name. I use my real name on all other boards, but I just couldn't resist this: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...8%26safe%3Doff

big john 09-13-06 09:58 PM

I started riding with a large club in 1989 and had "big" added to my name by other members trying to make sure everyone knew who they were talking about, like Big Mike, Booger Mike, Uncle Dick, The General, Daffy, Whacko,... you get the picture. I left the club for a few years and when I returned, a new, younger group gave me the same nickname. Maybe they're trying to tell me something.

marmot 09-13-06 10:16 PM

For some reason, I identify with a grumpy, pudgy rodent that lives in a hole in the ground.:o

cyclezen 09-13-06 10:29 PM

well I figured 'ride naked' would get me in more trouble than the whole thing was worth...

nedgoudy 09-13-06 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by bigbossman
"Bigbossman" - from the legendary Jimmy Reed blues tune of the same name.

And a song so well done by the
Grateful Dead in the 70s.

"I can hear him call... that'll be just
about all... big bossman..."

nedgoudy 09-13-06 10:40 PM

I am an editor of two magazines.
Ned is a doofus name reminicient
of Ned Flanders on the Simpsons.

Very middle of the Road with a
plain vanilla wrapper.

Non Abtrusive.

And Goudy is a type face.
And that is just about the
way it went down. Ned has
his own Blog too. You can
Google him and find it.

But Ned Goudy is a hell of a lot more
interesting name than my 'real' one.
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

BluesDawg 09-13-06 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by bigbossman
"Bigbossman" - from the legendary Jimmy Reed blues tune of the same name.

You ain't so big, You just tall, that's all.

late 09-13-06 10:41 PM

My email addresee is rninl8@.... Running late=rninl8. When I played the internet flying game Warbirds guys were supposed to warn you that someone was sneaking up behind you. But typing rninl8 while trying to fly in combat was too much to ask.
So I became... late.

It was serendipitous. I am late. I was born late, the Doc said my parents could not have kids, several years later i showed up. I was born late into the boomer era, and every place I went I was always told 'You shoulda been here last year.'
Their sheer numbers used everything up. I was just.... late. I got married late at
at 32. Got back into cycling late, in my 40's. I am just plain late.

dauphin 09-13-06 10:55 PM

took you long enough to post a reply......http://www.pacfit.com/roflmao.gif

Coloradopenguin 09-13-06 10:58 PM

I've used Coloradopenguin for personal stuff for years. I live in western Colorado, and when I first created the name I was dabbling with linux . . . liked the cool penguin and the name fits. Like the penguin, I like the cold and enjoy winter sports like snowshoeing and skiing.

Besides, editor was taken. I thought about using -30-dash, but in printer lingo -30- is the end of the story and I still have many galleys left to write before I put this paper to bed. ;)

dauphin 09-13-06 11:05 PM

I am so glad I started this thread...makes for entertaining and informative reading!

Old Dog 09-13-06 11:36 PM

Old dog from "You can't teach an old dog, new tricks." I am old (64), but determined to learn to ride and keep up with the youngsters.

Big Paulie 09-14-06 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by dauphin
I am so glad I started this thread...makes for entertaining and informative reading!

Giving props to one's own thread is punishable by instant ejection from the Bike Forum.

First offense, three months. :o

Second offense, lifetime ban. :(

Third offense, lifetime ban with Advocacy and Safety Forum privilages restored. :eek:

We are serious about our humility, Dauphin! :D

CrossChain 09-14-06 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by marmot
For some reason, I identify with a grumpy, pudgy rodent that lives in a hole in the ground.:o

I love Yosemite marmots. they seem so damned dumb I always feel I could walk up, grab one, stuff him in my pack and take him home. They're also charming as hell in a Bucky Ipana kind of way. Good choice!

Coyote! 09-14-06 05:29 AM

It was the 60s. . .the neighbor's chickens kept disappearin'. . .started singing outside at night. . .ranchers started to get angry at the sight o’ me. . .Navajos started invitin’ me over. . .got to thinkin’ that cats are just delicious. . .'purty hard to ignore.

DnvrFox 09-14-06 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Old Dog
I am old (64),

Grrr!!

The ONLY "old" people are those 15 years older than I. - That would be those almost 82 - and I am not even sure about that. :D

Question - if you SAY you are OLD, are you then OLD?

And, my handle is simply my email address. When I started on the internet and bulletin boards, folks used their real names all the time - we hadn't yet had the phenomenon of identity theft, etc.

When I went to AOL, my real name was already taken, or I would have used it. Since I am already totally exposed with an electronic trail for many years, I don't see how I can protect myself at this late date!

laterstarter 09-14-06 05:56 AM

Laterstarter - my real name was taken. I started biking late at 51, last having put my leg over, a bike that is, at about 15 yrs old (Malvern Star fixed gear) and I joined the forum after latestarter.