Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What does your handle mean?

I am sure this has probably been done before...but how did you come up with your BikeForum handle/username/callsign? Some are pretty straight forward and some might as well be hieroglyphics. Mine is from a particular animal that appears in a business logo. At the time I first tried to create a nickname, I found that there were way too many "dolphin" names so I simply used dauphin. Obviously, a lot of the handles here are cycling related. Tell us how you came up with yours....
    Last edited by dauphin; 09-13-06 at 04:37 PM.

My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    handle == Citizens Band lingo
    username == 'puter talk
    callsign == ham speak

mine? because Linux has been very good to me, seńor!

:-)

The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first name is Darwin. My father's name is Darwin.

My parents were divorced when I was young, and until about 8 or 10 years ago I had no contact with my father or that side of the family.

At a family reunion, I was always referred to as Little Darwin by people who hadn't seen me for almost 40 years... The last they saw me, I was not even in school yet. The term was pretty funny because I am about 6 inches taller than my father, and outweighed him by about 200 pounds (I am a little closer to his weight now, but still a long way to go).

Even though this was my first time at the reunion, they had them every other year for quite a while. At the end of the weekend, they always have an award ceremony, and everyone gets some sort of award. I was called forward as Little Darwin, and my cousin thought maybe I should be called Darwin Jr. But, I insisted on Little Darwin... I enjoyed the irony, and hope one day that the title is a little less ironic.
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a fictional poster, it was tough to come up with a handle. So I just used my real name...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LIttle Darwin, I smiled with a sense of recognition at your story. Called myself CrossChain (used to be GrannyGear because I would, out of vanity and pure pig-headedness, refuse to use that inner chainring-- oh the shame of it!--no matter the degree or length of incline. I've since come to my senses. Meantime, exteme chain angles cause me an amusing amount of emotional anguish .... hence "CrossChain".
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

wheezer geezer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+ 1+1+1+1+1=fifty5

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I create art. I live in Arkansas. I enjoy a good pun. You figure it out.

My avatar is the lion from the animation "Kenya". That animation is very good at capturing the feeling of being at work at 4am.

Kenya!
    Last edited by Artkansas; 09-13-06 at 05:13 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know everyone's been wondering about my handle , so I guess it's time to put the mystery to rest.

My name is Paul, and I'm big for my age.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dauphin
    I am sure this has probably been done before...but how did you come up with your BikeForum handle/username/callsign? Some are pretty straight forward and some might as well be hieroglyphics. Mine is from a particular animal that appears in a business logo.
    Darned, and I thought you were heir to the throne of France.

My Bikes
    Torelli, Bianchi Trofeo, De Rosa, Specialized Expedition Touring, Colnago Cross, Motobecane Grand Jubile & Grand Record, Miyata 710, 2 Titans, Raleigh Super Course, 3Rensho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanted a pictograph & at the time, I had two bikes....of course its gone way beyond that number now.
    Don
    visit my homebuilding blog: www.monoplanar.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    Vintage Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & an '83 Santana Tandem
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what I'm called at the church. The rest describes where I live. I started adding the NLNH long before BF when I found too many pastorbob user names already taken on other web sites.
    Bob
    Dreaming of Summertime in NH!

Visit my websites:
    FreeWheelSpa.com orpastorbobnlnh.com

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I once frequented a place in deep south Texas named El Mono Borracho. It was in another lifetime.

It means DRUNKEN MONKEY, hence the avatar. I always liked the way the name rolls off the tongue in Spanish.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Bigbossman" - from the legendary Jimmy Reed blues tune of the same name.
    "Love is not the dying moan of a distant violin, it’s the triumphant twang of a bedspring."

S. J. Perelman

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NOS88 - Recently returning to cycling I feel like new old stock. I also rode my first century with a guy who was 88. I figured this was a good age at which I would no longer think of myself as a newbie.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a Grandfather.
    Carpe who?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in OHio on state route 306. It required little imagination.

My Bikes
    1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was three or four, I would munch on the occasional Milk-Bone. How was I to know that "you are what you eat" meant forever? Now I am chased by dogs that haven't been off the porch in months.

Semper Fidelis
    My Bikes
    Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I push big gears, and I like to hammer chase after other riders who are ahead of me
    "Advantages Must Be Pressed, Disadvantages Must Be Overcome"

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sing the blues and play blues harmonica. When I was a little boy, my Daddy told me that I was a Baptist, an American and a Georgia Bulldog fan - not necessarily in that order. How 'bout them Dawgs? WOOF WOOF!
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Giant Cypress SX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first choice was Roger, because, well, that's my name. Someone already had it; I looked around in desperation, at a time when Nermal was using my leg for a scratching post. Still, Scratching Post didn't quite fit my self image, so I went with Nermal.

Nermal, by the way is Garfield's wiseguy little nephew. Cat and name both look normal, but on closer inspection. . . .
    Some people are like a Slinky ... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    linux_author will recognise this. Unix or linux has some powerful commands. This one would delete every file on your disk if you started in the '/' directory. It assumes you know what you are doing, but doesn't get in your way, either.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My paternal grandmother was born in Surrey, England and lived much of her life in Hawaii (Kauai and Oahu), where she was a fourth-grade school teacher and librarian. She once commented that her grandchildren could call her "Tutu" (Hawaiian for grandmother) or "Grandma," but definitely not "Grannie." With an invitation like that, what was a 10-year-old boy to do? She retalliated by starting to call me "Johnnie," observing, "Well, he is John E., you know." This good-natured exchange, often punctuated by birthday cards, "To Johnnie from his Ever-Lovin' Grannie," continued until her death at age 92. My username, which I also use on oldroads.com, VWVortex.com, and PassatWorld.com, is a way of honoring her memory.

On eBay, I use tullio-49th, because I was born on Tullio Campagnolo's 49th birthday.
    Last edited by John E; 09-13-06 at 07:32 PM.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My username is my last name with the vowels removed. It goes back to ye old days when usernames couldn't exceed 8 characters, so I just removed the vowels.

BW, my last name and first name only contain 'e's and 'i's in them.

Dnns Trsnrtr
    Dennis T

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I enjoy the outdoors quite a bit, this includes birding trips to different birding areas of the state. The scrub jay is a threatened bird in Florida, figured I'd honor it a bit.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Nitto stem that I purchased shortly before registering here. It was just the first bike-related word that came to mind.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast