Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Slim
    Hmmmm. Getting off the bike to get a light on a (suspected) Puma/cougar/mountain lion. What's wrong with thatpicture?
    As I say- We don't have dangerous wildlife- and I am not running into cougars or Bears on any street corner over here. And If they do exist- They are not running into us either. And I stayed on the bike and in a gear low enough to restart quickly.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Bachetta Agio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When my family and I were stationed in Norway, I was chased by a Moose. I heard him come crashing through the forest and onto the trail behind me. I don't think I would have ever gotten away had I not been on the crest of the hill. AFter chasing me down the hill about 200 yards, he just sorta gave up and meandered into the forest again.

My son and I were riding for his Bicycling Merit badge (again In Norway) and came across a heard of cows in the middle of the trail. They didn't chase us, but definately had "attitude". They wouldn't move out of the road, so my Son and I packed our bikes on our shoulders and climbed the banks of the road to walk around them. That was one of 3 really great memories of that Merit Badge ride.
    As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
    Joshua 24:15

My Bikes
    Bachetta Agio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When my family and I were stationed in Norway, I was chased by a Moose. I heard him come crashing through the forest and onto the trail behind me. I don't think I would have ever gotten away had I not been on the crest of the hill. AFter chasing me down the hill about 200 yards, he just sorta gave up and meandered into the forest again.

My son and I were riding for his Bicycling Merit badge (again In Norway) and came across a heard of cows in the middle of the trail. They didn't chase us, but definately had "attitude". They wouldn't move out of the road, so my Son and I packed our bikes on our shoulders and climbed the banks of the road to walk around them. That was one of 3 really great memories of that Merit Badge ride.
    As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
    Joshua 24:15

My Bikes
    Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Earlier this year, while out on an early morning ride, I came across a herd of wild sheep. I suspect that they had escaped their pasture and were off to see the world. The road was a narrow 2 lane road, and there were cow pastures on both sides, so the sheep were sort of stuck wandering down the road. Not sure where they belonged, but even something like a sheep can be a daunting obstacle on a bike. I dismounted and walked through the herd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good story. Thought my brush with a 120 lb deer was bad until I read this. Guess if you ride long enough you will encounter almost anything. The picture of the Bison made me think of a funny story my son told me of a Japaneese tourist who tried to have his picture taken with one in Yellowstone Park. You know the results.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    As I say- We don't have dangerous wildlife- and I am not running into cougars or Bears on any street corner over here. And If they do exist- They are not running into us either. And I stayed on the bike and in a gear low enough to restart quickly.
    Today on our ride I saw the most dangerous animal we have in the UK. No it was not a granny with a walking stick getting irate on the MUP. We only have one poisonous snake in the UK and I have seen them before but this one was on a forest trail. 3 of us on the ride and the first rider went past it and warned us of a snake on the trail. As he went past- it raised its head and as the second bike went past it lunged at the riders foot. Missed it altogether but it definitely went for him. As I went past- I noticed it was an Adder and the sprint went on with the feet pulled out of the clips and on the crossbar as soon as I got in range. 50ft later I slowed and looked behind me and it was chasing us. Second sprint of the day. Don't know how fast adders move but not taking chances.

Quite tame compared to some of your beasties but don't fancy a trip to The hospital for a few years yet.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    all diamond frames
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    Today on our ride I saw the most dangerous animal we have in the UK. No it was not a granny with a walking stick getting irate on the MUP. We only have one poisonous snake in the UK and I have seen them before but this one was on a forest trail. 3 of us on the ride and the first rider went past it and warned us of a snake on the trail. As he went past- it raised its head and as the second bike went past it lunged at the riders foot. Missed it altogether but it definitely went for him. As I went past- I noticed it was an Adder and the sprint went on with the feet pulled out of the clips and on the crossbar as soon as I got in range. 50ft later I slowed and looked behind me and it was chasing us. Second sprint of the day. Don't know how fast adders move but not taking chances.

Quite tame compared to some of your beasties but don't fancy a trip to The hospital for a few years yet.
    Snakes are good for about 3mph.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the kind of beast I encounter nearly every ride... Ugh!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

just over the next hill cruzMOKS's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of these mountain lions showed up a few blocks from my house a few years ago.
    Enjoy the ride.
    Bianchi Volpe 2006; Fuji Tahoe 1990

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a little sweetie I get to pet........
    Carpe who?

The Alta Loma area of Rancho Cucamonga. About 45 miles east of Los Angeles, California. Uphill, downhill and across hill riding; not too level!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzMOKS
    One of these mountain lions showed up a few blocks from my house a few years ago.
    . . .
    that sounds familiar: about 10 years ago, a mom and kids that lived on the edge of a canyon/wash about a half mile from our house had an interesting experience. Mom was in the house and the kids came it and told her about a "kitty" on the roof. Mom's thinkin' no big deal, a cat on the roof. Kids tell her again, so she goes out to look--and it was a mountain lion on her roof, checking out the neighborhood. What fun, a BIG kitty!
    I . . can . . . doooo . . . it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bull was more dangerous, but I thought I was dying, and it was only a 60-pound dog.

One morning, about 3AM, I wake up convinced I am dying.
    Hot, hot, hot, sweating hot. Unable to breath.

As I became more fully awake, I realized that my shepherd-mix was centered on my chest.
    "Tasha, you're hurting daddy, move over"
    I slid the dog off my chest, she nuzzed by my side the rest of the night.

Jeff, still fat

P.S. I sure miss that dog.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just got back from the Texas hill country.I was walking around the 1500 acres this guy I know owns. It was getting hot and I started to walk with my head down heading toward the house.Just when I looked up I was about 10 feet from bull.It felt a lot closer let me tell ya.Anyhow I tried to look as calm as I could and I just kept walking while going to his left. I'm about 10 yards away and I turned around real slow.He was still looking at me and shook it's head.Man I thought that was it,but he just stood there.I was glad to get back to the house and tell everybody my story.They all laughed but they wouldn't have if they were there.Anyhow it was a fun time,George
    George

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12