Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Qestion about Trek bikes. (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/228452-qestion-about-trek-bikes.html)

will dehne 09-14-06 09:19 PM

Qestion about Trek bikes.
 
I think that I want to purchase a new Trek Madone, Ultegra, 58 cm, triple crank, better wheels than Bontrager Race.
I cannot find a LBS who will let me test ride such a bike so I would have to buy on blind faith.
Does anyone know if Trek has a bike try out program for people like me?

goaliedad30 09-14-06 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by will dehne
I think that I want to purchase a new Trek Madone, Ultegra, 58 cm, triple crank, better wheels than Bontrager Race.
I cannot find a LBS who will let me test ride such a bike so I would have to buy on blind faith.
Does anyone know if Trek has a bike try out program for people like me?

Ever LBS I've ever been to will let you test ride. Do they not have that frame size in stock? There are about a billion Trek dealers; seems like a few phone calls would score you a dealer that has a 58 Madone built up that they'd let you ride. Might be with the stock wheels, but close enough ...

duhhuh 09-14-06 09:57 PM

I am no expert by any means, but I would never spend that kind of cash without trying it out. Especially to see if you like the fit. Surely there is a Trek dealer somewhere around you that would let you try one out. Hope this works out for you.

flatlander_48 09-14-06 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by will dehne
I think that I want to purchase a new Trek Madone, Ultegra, 58 cm, triple crank, better wheels than Bontrager Race.
I cannot find a LBS who will let me test ride such a bike so I would have to buy on blind faith.
Does anyone know if Trek has a bike try out program for people like me?

Trek does do bike demos, but there is no assurance that they will have the exact model. Check their web site for a schedule of events. Hopefully there is one close to you, but the problem is that the weather will be closing in on you. I know, I used to live in Joliet for a couple of years. They tend to do warmer climates in the winter months.

will dehne 09-15-06 09:54 AM

Thanks for the reply above. Lucky I am not in a hurry. I want a new bike next spring but was hoping to get a close out deal. I will just have to get off my a** and contact more stores outside this town.
My LBS will demo the bike but only very restrictive, such as bike from the store to a designated route.

I like to take the demo to a park road which I know well. This LBS is resisting that idea.
Another LBS will give me a Demo but not a Madone, something close they say.
So I am a bit frustrated but perhaps I just need to try harder and look more around.
I was just hoping that Trek has some program I can get on to try out this bike.

jazzy_cyclist 09-15-06 12:04 PM

Doesn't sound like the problem is whether you can test ride as much as the where you test ride? Most LBSes I've dealt with have been pretty accomodating.

I know Cannondale has a semi truck full-o-bikes that travels around the country to let people try out their products, but I've only heard of it here in the northeast in the summer. You're not so terribly far from Trek -- they're in Wisconsin, aren't they?

will dehne 09-15-06 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzy_cyclist
Doesn't sound like the problem is whether you can test ride as much as the where you test ride? Most LBSes I've dealt with have been pretty accomodating.

I know Cannondale has a semi truck full-o-bikes that travels around the country to let people try out their products, but I've only heard of it here in the northeast in the summer. You're not so terribly far from Trek -- they're in Wisconsin, aren't they?

Yes, I will get busy and go to Trek if that is the thing to do. The slow time of the year is coming up. Lots of time to search the Webb.

CrossChain 09-15-06 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzy_cyclist

I know Cannondale has a semi truck full-o-bikes that travels around the country to let people try out their products, but I've only heard of it here in the northeast in the summer. You're not so terribly far from Trek -- they're in Wisconsin, aren't they?

Yes, their demo truck rolled through my dusty central CA town last weekend.......lotsa fun riding their Synapse for about 10 miles-- only came back because I was thirsty.

jppe 09-15-06 02:27 PM

Will-I can't help with the anything locally but the LBS's here will certainly work with you to find something comparable to try out.

Very good choice on the frame! I'm currently riding the Bontrager XLite wheels and they're holding up very well. I wouldn't have a problem recommending that model. A lot of folks are riding the Ksyriums (sp) but some folks I've talked to think they feel a little harsh. They're a solid all around wheel but if you lose a spoke the wheel become unrideable. I agree that you can do much better than the Race wheels-especially with that frame.

Have you looked at a Dura Ace setup by chance? I started with an Ultegra triple and have migrated to Dura-Ace over time. However, I did go ahead and upgrade the shifters to Dura-Ace when the bike was brand new. The LBS upgraded for just the equipment cost difference which I thought was a decent deal. Something you might be able to "negotiate" with the LBS when you're shopping around......I suspect eventually you'll wind up with Dura Ace and if I were to do it over I'd go ahead and make the plunge and start out that way. It's real easy for me to say that because in this case it's your money and not mine!!!!!!

jazzy_cyclist 09-15-06 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrossChain
Yes, their demo truck rolled through my dusty central CA town last weekend.......lotsa fun riding their Synapse for about 10 miles-- only came back because I was thirsty.

I'm envious. Was it the carbon frame? How was it?

will dehne 09-15-06 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jppe
Will-I can't help with the anything locally but the LBS's here will certainly work with you to find something comparable to try out.

Very good choice on the frame! I'm currently riding the Bontrager XLite wheels and they're holding up very well. I wouldn't have a problem recommending that model. A lot of folks are riding the Ksyriums (sp) but some folks I've talked to think they feel a little harsh. They're a solid all around wheel but if you lose a spoke the wheel become unrideable. I agree that you can do much better than the Race wheels-especially with that frame.

Have you looked at a Dura Ace setup by chance? I started with an Ultegra triple and have migrated to Dura-Ace over time. However, I did go ahead and upgrade the shifters to Dura-Ace when the bike was brand new. The LBS upgraded for just the equipment cost difference which I thought was a decent deal. Something you might be able to "negotiate" with the LBS when you're shopping around......I suspect eventually you'll wind up with Dura Ace and if I were to do it over I'd go ahead and make the plunge and start out that way. It's real easy for me to say that because in this case it's your money and not mine!!!!!!


Jppe: I know that you know bikes very well and Trek for certain. I do have a decent Trek LBS in town. They will work with me. Part of the problem is my uncertainty what I should do.
I am 195 lb. and pretty strong. Not much fat. I think that is on the upper end of what the Madone is designed for. Do you agree with that statement?
That is why I keep talking about Litespeed Tuscani, Colagno and Specialized Roubaix. I know that those bikes can handle bigger, stronger bikers than me. What do you know about that please?
Another choice would be to get my hands on a Madone for a full day or so and give it a real workout.
What are your thoughts on that?

Jaxbike 09-15-06 03:48 PM

You might try the TREK factory store in Madison, WI. It's an easy drive up there and I'm sure they could arrange to have exactly what you'd like on hand when you arrrive.

roccobike 09-15-06 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by will dehne
Thanks for the reply above. Lucky I am not in a hurry. I want a new bike next spring but was hoping to get a close out deal. I will just have to get off my a** and contact more stores outside this town.
My LBS will demo the bike but only very restrictive, such as bike from the store to a designated route.

I like to take the demo to a park road which I know well. This LBS is resisting that idea.
Another LBS will give me a Demo but not a Madone, something close they say.
So I am a bit frustrated but perhaps I just need to try harder and look more around.
I was just hoping that Trek has some program I can get on to try out this bike.

For what it's worth, I've run into the same restrictions you're quoting when I purchased my MTBs. I could ride anywhere on their property or designated area. However, I noticed both stores talked about additional trial time when they saw I was real serious about buying the bike.

will dehne 09-15-06 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaxbike
You might try the TREK factory store in Madison, WI. It's an easy drive up there and I'm sure they could arrange to have exactly what you'd like on hand when you arrrive.

Thanks, I will follow up on that tip.:)

will dehne 09-15-06 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jppe

Have you looked at a Dura Ace setup by chance? I started with an Ultegra triple and have migrated to Dura-Ace over time.

jppe:
Please tell me in simple words the difference from Ultegra to Dura Ace. I have seen the cost differential.
Is it all because of weight savings or are there other factors?

jppe 09-15-06 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by will dehne
jppe:
Please tell me in simple words the difference from Ultegra to Dura Ace. I have seen the cost differential.
Is it all because of weight savings or are there other factors?

There is some weight difference between the two but just as importantly the "quality" of the shifting is better with Dura-Ace. If you're planning to do a lot of miles and keep the bike for a lot of miles, to me it is worth the difference. Maybe you can try the two setups and judge for yourself. Some would say it's not worth the difference in dollars but you just need to judge that for yourself.

jppe 09-15-06 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by will dehne
Jppe: I know that you know bikes very well and Trek for certain. I do have a decent Trek LBS in town. They will work with me. Part of the problem is my uncertainty what I should do.
I am 195 lb. and pretty strong. Not much fat. I think that is on the upper end of what the Madone is designed for. Do you agree with that statement?
That is why I keep talking about Litespeed Tuscani, Colagno and Specialized Roubaix. I know that those bikes can handle bigger, stronger bikers than me. What do you know about that please?
Another choice would be to get my hands on a Madone for a full day or so and give it a real workout.
What are your thoughts on that?

Your weight on a Madone would not concern me. However, you probably would want to do more investigation on the wheels you select based on your weight. There are definitely some wheels out there that do not hold up as well for riders 180 lbs plus.

On another note (and please don't let me confuse you!), I noticed you were looking at a 58 cm frame. If you've been fitted by a professional please disregard this altogether!! I don't know your measurements but I ride both a 58cm and a 62cm Trek. If you're 6ft 1" or taller you might check out a 60cm as well. It will put a little more frame under you and could provide a little more comfort than the 58cm in terms of saddle height to bar height. I've found that for the longer rides the "bigger frame" is a little more comfortable. You still have to make sure the dimensions are correct and you're fitted to it. You can adjust the stem length and steerer tube height to get the dimensions you need. Just something to think about.

richjac 09-15-06 08:49 PM

Check out the Trek demo event at the Fall Color Festival in Kettle Moraine state forest, S.E.Wisconsin - not too far from you and they have a great selection of bikes in many sizes, according to the web site:

http://www.ridethebesttour.com/event...p?event_id=790

will dehne 09-17-06 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jppe
Your weight on a Madone would not concern me. However, you probably would want to do more investigation on the wheels you select based on your weight. There are definitely some wheels out there that do not hold up as well for riders 180 lbs plus.

On another note (and please don't let me confuse you!), I noticed you were looking at a 58 cm frame. If you've been fitted by a professional please disregard this altogether!! I don't know your measurements but I ride both a 58cm and a 62cm Trek. If you're 6ft 1" or taller you might check out a 60cm as well. It will put a little more frame under you and could provide a little more comfort than the 58cm in terms of saddle height to bar height. I've found that for the longer rides the "bigger frame" is a little more comfortable. You still have to make sure the dimensions are correct and you're fitted to it. You can adjust the stem length and steerer tube height to get the dimensions you need. Just something to think about.

jppe:
Thanks for the info on Ultegra visa Dura Ace. I guess you get what you pay for?
The selection on the wheels is clear. Thanks for the warning.
Proper bike sizing is confusing for the following reasons:
I biked across America on a Cannondale R2000 which measures 60 cm from top of seat tube to center of the crank. That bike is OK if I ride with hands on the hoods or top of bars. It is OK for riding with Aerobars. It is not OK for riding on the drops. I have to reach and feel not safe especially on fast decent. It is possible that this is lack of training also. The bike is not bad, hell I did 3000 miles on it.
Now, I also ride a lot on this Trek Hybrid. It measures 51 cm from top of seat tube to center of crank.
The wheelbase of that bike is 107 cm. That bike is very comfortable except I feel a little crowded on the Aerobars. I train a lot on that bike and have biked well over 10, 000 miles on it.
Professional fitting:
In this town that means that I pay $85 for one of the mechanics to make some measurements. Yes, they will aply it if I buy a bike.
I went to Detroit and go to one of the biggest and best Bike Stores. The owner is an active Road biker and looks like me in terms of size and body built. He says I need a 58 and says that laser fitting is BS
I went to another bike store, same reaction.
If I sound confused it is because I am. BTW, my height is 184 cm, floor to up between my legs is 87 cm.
Is tat called "instep"?
Any advise?

ctyler 09-17-06 04:45 PM

Given that you are in Rockford, drive up to Machinery Row Bicycles in Madison. Last I heard they were having a sale on that model.

will dehne 09-17-06 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richjac
Check out the Trek demo event at the Fall Color Festival in Kettle Moraine state forest, S.E.Wisconsin - not too far from you and they have a great selection of bikes in many sizes, according to the web site:

http://www.ridethebesttour.com/event...p?event_id=790

I will go there. Thanks :D :D

jppe 09-17-06 06:09 PM

Sounds like a 58 will work just fine. Maybe you could measure the distance from the seat post to the handlebars on your present bikes to make sure you get the correct stem length you'd want?? There will also be the decision on how high up you want the handlebars to be as well (ride the bike a while before you cut the steerer tube just to make sure you don't cut off too much).

CrossChain 09-17-06 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzy_cyclist
I'm envious. Was it the carbon frame? How was it?

I've been waiting for this chance.......thanks Jazzy!

Go here: http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/227268-your-ace-bike-reviewer-confronts-carbon.html

This could be my big break.

flatlander_48 09-18-06 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by will dehne
jppe:
Thanks for the info on Ultegra visa Dura Ace. I guess you get what you pay for?
The selection on the wheels is clear. Thanks for the warning.
Proper bike sizing is confusing for the following reasons:
I biked across America on a Cannondale R2000 which measures 60 cm from top of seat tube to center of the crank. That bike is OK if I ride with hands on the hoods or top of bars. It is OK for riding with Aerobars. It is not OK for riding on the drops. I have to reach and feel not safe especially on fast decent. It is possible that this is lack of training also. The bike is not bad, hell I did 3000 miles on it.
Now, I also ride a lot on this Trek Hybrid. It measures 51 cm from top of seat tube to center of crank.
The wheelbase of that bike is 107 cm. That bike is very comfortable except I feel a little crowded on the Aerobars. I train a lot on that bike and have biked well over 10, 000 miles on it.
Professional fitting:
In this town that means that I pay $85 for one of the mechanics to make some measurements. Yes, they will aply it if I buy a bike.
I went to Detroit and go to one of the biggest and best Bike Stores. The owner is an active Road biker and looks like me in terms of size and body built. He says I need a 58 and says that laser fitting is BS
I went to another bike store, same reaction.
If I sound confused it is because I am. BTW, my height is 184 cm, floor to up between my legs is 87 cm.
Is tat called "instep"?
Any advise?

Inseam...


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:44 PM.