Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How to REALLY tell that you are older...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

How to REALLY tell that you are older...

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-06, 08:05 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
Hey Ihbernhardt,

I remember all of those show very well. Even the theme songs of many. "Have gun will travel reads the card of a man, a man without **********? in a savage land, his fast gun for hire meets the calling wind, a soldier of furtunate is the man called Paladin. Paladin, Palidin, where do you roam? Paladin, Paladin, far, far from home."
Old 09-29-06, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb
I remember all of those show very well. Even the theme songs of many. "Have gun will travel reads the card of a man, a man without **********? in a savage land, his fast gun for hire meets the calling wind, a soldier of furtunate is the man called Paladin. Paladin, Palidin, where do you roam? Paladin, Paladin, far, far from home."

OK, that's it. I'm going to stop reading this thread. I thought I was feeling older than dirt before, but now I'm feeling like dirt is pretty new stuff. The things that stays in our heads; it boggles what I have left of a mind.
Old 09-29-06, 08:59 AM

Bikes: 2005 Bike Friday NWT, Bacchetta Giro 26, 2019 Titanium Bilenky Midlands

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
"Have gun will travel reads the card of a man, a man without **********? in a savage land, his fast gun for hire meets the calling wind, a soldier of furtunate is the man called Paladin. Paladin, Palidin, where do you roam? Paladin, Paladin, far, far from home."
"a knight without armor in a savage land"
Old 09-29-06, 10:18 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can you imagine the look the kid in the drugstore would give you if you were able to wander in today with some old vacuum tubes for a TV, and ask him where the tester was and the replacement tubes?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tv.jpg (28.3 KB, 9 views)

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 09-29-06, 01:41 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Can you imagine the look the kid in the drugstore would give you if you were able to wander in today with some old vacuum tubes for a TV, and ask him where the tester was and the replacement tubes?
If the kid was a blues harp player he would know where to find a stash of NOS tubes.
Old 09-29-06, 01:41 PM
Ol' Paint

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Grand Prix,'71 Schwinn Super Sport, '73 Schwinn Paramount, '83 Schwinn Super Sport, '84(?) Univega Gran Sprint, '89 Schwinn Waterford Paramount

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I once had a "Have gun, will travel" outfit/set complete with cap pistol, holster, black hat, business cards ("Wire Paladin..."), but the coolest thing was the stick-on felt moustache. I strutted that year (probably 1958). I haven't thought about that in ages. Look what you've started!!!
-- Leon Briggs
Old 09-29-06, 01:52 PM
Sheik Yerbouti

Location: in the state of Confusion, formerly from state of Denial

Bikes: 2006 Trek Pilot 2.1, Jamis Sputnik 2009

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I never got to see "Combat." Coool show, at the time. They have it in our local library on thise DVD thingamabobs.

Remember test patterns? It was Sunday morning in our house, the face of an Indian (at that time) now a native American. And it was Flash Gordon, Roy Rogers, and Zorro. And damn well worth staring at the test pattern until it came on.
Old 09-29-06, 01:56 PM
Sheik Yerbouti

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I watched the first space launches on a TV like the one pictured here.
Old 09-29-06, 02:00 PM
Sheik Yerbouti

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Out of state!

Right arm!

Gravy!

You forgot Farm out!
Old 09-29-06, 06:01 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by voldemort
I never got to see "Combat." Coool show, at the time. They have it in our local library on thise DVD thingamabobs.

Remember test patterns? It was Sunday morning in our house, the face of an Indian (at that time) now a native American. And it was Flash Gordon, Roy Rogers, and Zorro. And damn well worth staring at the test pattern until it came on.
Oh yeah? well, I had the test pattern, followed by the first thing shown on channel 4 in the morning: The Three Stooges!! The TV was an old Westinghouse, with a motorized channel changer. You pushed this bar, and the channels would rotate with a "Wirrr-Wirrr" sound. Let's see: Channel 2, 4, 5, 7,,, No UHF yet.

I remember when every Radio Shack store had a tube tester, usually just inside the door. This was back when Radio Shack was a real electronics store, not place for shopping mall impulse buying, as it is today.

I know a guy who has pulled a pretty good joke: He has gone into Radio Shack in a mall, and asked where they keep the "Flux Capacitors".

I might pull this in Best Buy.
Old 09-29-06, 10:03 PM
Bent Ryder

Bikes: Bachetta Agio

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Older Than Dirt Quiz: Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about Ratings at the bottom.

24. Studebakers
25. Wash tub wringers

=
Some of my fondest memories were in the 53 Studebaker that my Dad and I shared. If I needed the car, I would have to get up early and drive him to work, then pick him up after school. If I was late, I lost the privilege. It had a 353 Blueprinted Hemi engine in it, and my Dad never knew what that meant.

Not so fond memory: When I was in Grade school, my arm got caught in one of those washing machine ringers. For a while they thought they would have to amputate my arm. I am glad that I got to keep it and it works just fine
Old 09-29-06, 10:14 PM
Bent Ryder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
"Here are - Robert Young, and Jane Wyatt,

with Eleanor Donohue, Billy Gray, and Lauren Chapin in...

Father Knows Best!"

Remember "I Married Joan?" If you can remember who played the part of Joan, you are much older than dirt. I remember that Jim Backus played the guy who married Joan. Backus was also the voice of Mr. Magoo, and my earliest memory of the first drive-in movie I ever went to when I was very young was Mr. Magoo shilling for Rheingold Beer. I think he went downhill as the millionaire in Gilligan's Island, though, but probably this has more to do with Gilligan's Island being a too-popular cult attraction unrestricted by age. However, the more interesting fact about Gilligan's Island is that Gilligan was played by Bob Denver, who had earlier played the part of Maynard Krebs, the funny beatnik character (well, actually the only funny character) in the short-lived sitcom "The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis."

Yeah, the really interesting stuff back in the 50's (when I was younger than 10) was the really, really trivial stuff. Like Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels as the Lone Ranger & Tonto; Steve Reeves as Superman (with his very ill-fitting Superman outfit, where the shoulder seams were halfway down his biceps); Nick Adams as "The Rebel," Steve McQueen in "Wanted: Dead or Alive," Richard Boone in "Have Gun, Will Travel" (and at the time I thought "Wire Paladin" was his first and last name). Duncan Renaldo as "The Cisco Kid," Richard Greene as "Robin Hood" (whoa, the theme song comes back to me: "Robin Hood, Robin Hood, riding thru the glen... Robin Hood, Robin Hood, with his band of men... Feared by the bad, loved by the good, Robin Hood, Robin Hood, Robin Hood...).

Yeah, brings back memories.

- L.
Oh Good Grief, I remember watching all those shows....Do you remember Ivanhoe, with Roger Moore in the Lead, I can't remember the theme song though. John Yuma was my favorite until The rifleman came along. Chuck Connors Kicked &^% and took names
Old 09-29-06, 10:18 PM
Bent Ryder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I scored 21/25. For the longest time I was called Howdy Doody, because I looked just like him. My ears stuck out and I was covered in freckles
Old 09-29-06, 10:57 PM

Bikes: Kona Cinder Cone, Sun EZ-3 AX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are some trivia questions about Maynard Krebs: 1) He had a middle initial...what was it? 2) What name did the initial stand for?

More about the Dobie Gillis show...did anyone else notice how Dobie's hair changed color? In the early episodes, it was very light colored, almost white on a B&W TV screen. By the end of the series, his hair was dark.
Old 09-29-06, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maynard "G" KRebs...no idea what it stood for
Old 09-30-06, 01:38 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Okay how about this, for Boston area nerds only:

The early 70's, on then-independent channel 56. Saturday afternoons began with the classic "Outer Limits", followed by "creature double Feature". This show featured all the goofy monster movies you could ever want. They even showed some of the Japanese classics, such as "Attack of the Mushroom People". Man, that one is just too funny! This was the last time I remember seeing a movie called "Not of This Earth". This movie has been re-made a few times, but the original, black and white classic, is pretty cool. Now, isn't this the one where the bad guy keeps a small, umbrella-like creature in a case, and it swoops in through some guy's open windows, drops on his head and closes, and eats his brains or something?

Boy, I really should think about getting a life.....
Old 09-30-06, 08:20 PM

Bikes: Kona Cinder Cone, Sun EZ-3 AX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dauphin
Maynard "G" KRebs...no idea what it stood for
Absolutely correct! The "G" stood for "Walter". Well...why not?

Maynard lived in his own world with its own twisted logic. His name was also illogical, the "G" stood for Walter. According to the show's creator, Maynard was named after his Aunt Walter who was married to his Uncle Edith. His speech was full of colorful phrases such as "You rang?" and "Like, I'm getting all misty". But Maynard G. Krebs will always be best remembered for his response whenever anyone mentioned the subject of work. He would instantaneously shudder, and let out a plaintive cry of "WORK!?!?"
https://www.bobdenver.com/Maynard_s_C..._g__krebs.html
Old 10-02-06, 02:53 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
GeorgeBaby,

Great recall.
Old 10-02-06, 03:48 PM
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Hey Ihbernhardt,

**********? = "A knight without armour in a savage land... "

the other part is "a soldier of fortune..."

Yeah, I liked the show a lot.
Old 10-02-06, 05:06 PM
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
**********? = "A knight without armour in a savage land... "

the other part is "a soldier of fortune..."

Yeah, I liked the show a lot.
When I was a kid I could be SOOOO stupid. For the longest time I thought that Paladin's first name was Wire (from his card). DUH!?!
Old 10-04-06, 10:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, how about Soupy Sales? Maybe he was originally local in the Detroit area, but later I think he went more national. Remember White Fang, Black Tooth, Pookie, the guy who always knocked on the door which Soupy answered and they had their conversations with you only seeing the guys hand? Then the obligatory pie in the face? I remember we used to watch him at lunch when at home and it was always lunch with Soupy.
Old 10-05-06, 12:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigrider
Ok, how about Soupy Sales? Maybe he was originally local in the Detroit area, but later I think he went more national. Remember White Fang, Black Tooth, Pookie, the guy who always knocked on the door which Soupy answered and they had their conversations with you only seeing the guys hand? Then the obligatory pie in the face? I remember we used to watch him at lunch when at home and it was always lunch with Soupy.
How can a guy tell 3000 year old jokes every day and still be funny? The Soup was a genius...probably still is!!!
Old 10-05-06, 12:36 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Paulie
How can a guy tell 3000 year old jokes every day and still be funny? The Soup was a genius...probably still is!!!
Wasn't there some sort of scandal involving Soupy? I seem to remember he being banned or something. Whatever happened to him?

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 10-05-06, 02:22 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While on-air, Soupy once asked kids watching to go into their mother's purse when she was asleep and retrieve all the little pieces of green paper and mail them to him. Another time, he was ticking off all the people he appreciated with his fingers, and ended with, "and this is for our sponsor." The remaining digit was his middle finger. Those are the two things that got him in trouble that I can remember.
Old 10-05-06, 09:23 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here in central Florida, the local Christian station is broadcasting many of the old shows from the fifties and sixties. Have seen Lassie, The Rifleman, Bonanza, Ozzie and Harriet, Jack Benny, an old western comedy with Tim Conway that I think was called Dusty's trail (??), and many others. Very refreshing to watch the old programs again, and not see all the trash. Watched a Bonanza episode recently where Ben was reading the Bible and quoting scripture. Nobody sued, cause it was normal!! Go Ben!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.