Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to REALLY tell that you are older...

I think we all know that each generation has it's own "culture" and it's often radically different from one to the next. Whether it's sports, music, literature, movies...it is often hard to relate to an older and especially a younger generation. If you want to get a real feel for this I suggest you amble over to the "Got Something to say about Fixed culture?" thread. Out of curiosity, I clicked on the thread and after finishing reading most of the posts I felt light headed, dizzy, confused, and befuddled. I don't think I understood a single post. I do think it might have been written in English...but now I am not so sure....

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend at work sent this today:

Lightning Bugs / Older 'n Dirt!!

"Hey Dad," one of my kids asked the other day, "What was your favorite fast food when you were growing up?"

"We didn't have fast food when I was growing up," I informed him. "All the food was slow."

"C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?"

"It was a place called 'at home,'" I explained. "Grandma cooked every day and when Grandpa got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate I was allowed to sit there until I did like it."

By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table. But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I figured his system could have handled it:

Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore Levis, set foot on a golf course, traveled out of the country or had a credit card. In their later years they had something called a revolving charge card. The card was good only at Sears Roebuck. Or maybe it was Sears AND Roebuck. Either way, there is no Roebuck anymore. Maybe he died.

My parents never drove me to soccer practice. This was mostly because we never had heard of soccer. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow). We didn't have a television in our house until I was 11, but my grandparents had one before that. It was, of course, black and white, but they bought a piece of colored plastic to cover the screen. The top third was blue, like the sky, and the bottom third was green, like grass. The middle third was red. It was perfect for programs that had scenes of fire trucks riding across someone's lawn on a sunny day. Some people had a lens taped to the front of the TV to make the picture look larger.

I was 13 before I tasted my first pizza, it was called "pizza pie." When I bit into it, I burned the roof of my mouth and the cheese slid off, swung down, plastered itself against my chin and burned that, too. It's still the best pizza I ever had.

We didn't have a car until I was 15. Before that, the only car in our family was my grandfather's Ford. He called it a "machine."

I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone in the house was in the living room and it was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home. But milk was.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers. I delivered a newspaper, six days a week. It cost 7 cents a paper, of which I got to keep 2 cents. I had to get up at 4 AM every morning. On Saturday, I had to collect the 42 cents from my customers. My favorite customers were the ones who gave me 50 cents and told me to keep the change. My least favorite customers were the ones who seemed to never be home on collection day.

Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies. Touching someone else's tongue with yours was called French kissing and they didn't do that in movies. I don't know what they did in French movies. French movies were dirty and we weren't allowed to see them.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren. Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.

Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?

MEMORIES from a friend:

My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died in December) and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it. I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to "sprinkle" clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old.

How many do you remember?

Head lights dimmer switches on the floor.
    Ignition switches on the dashboard.
    Heaters mounted on the inside of the fire wall.
    Real ice boxes.
    Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.
    Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner.
    Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.

Older Than Dirt Quiz: Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about Ratings at the bottom.

1. Blackjack chewing gum
    2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water
    3. Candy cigarettes
    4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles
    5. Coffee shops or diners with tableside juke boxes
    6 Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
    7. Party lines
    8. Newsreels before the movie
    9. P.F. Flyers
    10. Butch wax
    11. Telephone numbers with a word prefix (OLive-6933)
    12. Peashooters
    13. Howdy Doody
    14. 45 RPM records
    15. S&H Green Stamps
    16 Hi-fi's
    17. Metal ice trays with lever
    18. Mimeograph paper
    19 Blue flashbulb
    20. Packards
    21. Roller skate keys
    22. Cork popguns
    23. Drive-ins
    24. Studebakers
    25. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered 0-5 = You're still young
    If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older
    If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age,
    If you remembered 16-25 = You're older than dirt!

I might be older than dirt but those memories are the best part of my life.

Don't forget to pass this along!!
    Especially to all your really OLD friends....
    =====
    "Senility Prayer"...God grant me...
    The senility to forget the people I never liked
    The good fortune to run into the ones that I do
    And the eyesight to tell the difference."
    Have a great week!!!!!!
    =
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just keep in mind that the freshman class starting university this fall never knew the USSR, always got their music on CDs, never knew a time without MTV.... and on it goes!

According to the quiz, I'm alot older than dirt! Of course when I was young, we had to make our own dirt.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Coyote!
    Hey 'Dawg! I scored 24 outta' 25. . .never saw any Packards until later at car shows. I'm old as dirt, but I still climbed Reno Gap on two wheels this morning!

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88
    Just keep in mind that the freshman class starting university this fall never knew the USSR, always got their music on CDs, never knew a time without MTV.... and on it goes!

According to the quiz, I'm alot older than dirt! Of course when I was young, we had to make our own dirt.
    I have two teenage daughters, and what struck me the other day was it won't be long before they don't remember much at all of the world before 9/11. They were 12 and 9 at the time.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, nothing could be more memorable, or flowing, than Meadowbrook 3-2519, my Grandparent's phone number. Back when phones were big, black, owned by the phone company and tough enough to drive nails with. On that list, the one item about which I don't have specifec personal recollection is the Newsreel. Maybe the Linda Theater didn't run them before Saturday matinees. Oh, and add "Saturday Matinee" to the list.

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about buying motor oil at the gas station in the glass bottle with the metal spout for about $.15 a quart?
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I scored a 12 on the memory list...."don't tell your age."

Ice trays with metal handles made me laugh. I think my parents still have theirs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's funny how that can be regional too. My ex-wife and I are only a few months apart in age, but she grew up in Muskogee, Oklahoma and I grew up around Tampa Bay. We calculated that there was about a decade's difference in our culture. A lot of it was because she had two sisters about a decade older than she was and I was the oldest child. She knew poodle skirts and "the walk". I knew rocket ships and sports cars. She first ate at Mc Donalds at 16, I first ate there at age 3. She remembers all the old "Cold War" bomb drills, hide under your desk etc. We didn't have them, we were within "Ground Zero" during the Cuban Missile Crisis and would have been vaporized whether or not we were under our desk. Why scare the kiddies. Wasn't a 3 day long convoy going by in front of your school enough.
    Last edited by Artkansas; 09-15-06 at 11:56 AM.

My Bikes
    Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heck, old today means you can remember the Kaypro 64.
    Just Peddlin' Around

My Bikes
    Douglas Precision Ti
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was flipping through the television channels last night looking for something to watch on one of about 75 channels. When I was a kid we had two channels and a rabbit ear antenna. When an ABC affiliate started up it was a UHF station. My folks wouldn't spend the fifteen dollars for a converter box so I never got to see "Combat."

Remember test patterns? I would sit and watch the test pattern on Saturday morning waiting for cartoons to come on.

When I was real young, in Sunfish, Kentucky, we had an outhouse. The common thinking about outhouses was that they are too far from the house in the winter and too close in the summer. We did have running water, though. You ran across the road to the well and ran back with a bucket full of water.
    Wag more, bark less

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And we all like the music with which we grew up. When I get to the Old Folks' home, instead of Big Band or Frank Sinatra, they'll be piping in AC/DC as background music.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I noticed they forgot to mention skateboards with steel wheels. I built my first one from a skate and a 2x4. I learned how to ride it in Popular Mechanics.

We had one hill worth mention in town. So all the boys skated on it. We would get one boy on a bicycle and then all the others on skateboards would hang on, one to the bicycle and the others to the fellow in front of them. We called it a train. The bicyclist would pedal as fast as he could down the hill. 9 times out of 10 this ride ended in a crash as one kid or another lost control of their skateboard. Then all the other kids would beat him up and trudge back up to the top of the hill.

Locally, our house was the place to go. We had a 1 1/2 foot drop from our lawn down to the sidewalk. Our walk way had a smooth concrete slope and merged gracefully with the sidewalk at an angle which would get you going fast enough to make it to the end of our property. It was the hot slope of the neighborhood.
    Last edited by Artkansas; 09-15-06 at 12:23 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Slim
    And we all like the music with which we grew up. When I get to the Old Folks' home, instead of Big Band or Frank Sinatra, they'll be piping in AC/DC as background music.

Hendrix, they must have Hendrix or I'm not going!

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas
    Hendrix, they must have Hendrix or I'm not going!

AC/DC, Hendrix, Zepplin, Cream. "They're playing our song". I'm getting nostalgic and misty-eyed already.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I scored 22 of 25! I should have scored so well on quizes during my schooling!

My Bikes
    2 many
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow man, psychedelic !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2manybikes
    Wow man, psychedelic !
    Out of state!

Right arm!

Gravy!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    2002 Litespeed Ultimate.....2003 KHS Flite 800......2002 Jamis Quest
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK youngsters!!!!!.....How many of you can remember gas at 14 cents a gallon? I remember my grandmother ironing with the old irons she heated on the stove because they didnt have electricity, I also brought water up from the spring because there was no plumbing in the house. Milk Delivery??....Heck my grandfather milked his own and I helped him chyrn the butter in an old stoneware churn. My first pizza experience was when I was 18 years old after joining the Navy. Jeez....would somebody sound the Geez alarm please!!!!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look . I'm in the UK and I had to think of the slightly different terminology to remember a couple but 22/25. Even I knew what a Studebaker was, and a Packard, but that was probably due to my father being a mechanic. I grew up in London and even in 57, when I left London for the country- The only person in our street that had a car- was my neighbour and his car was a Pick up truck for his vegetable delivery service. He only got that in 55 when his horse died that used to pull his cart around.

Even when I moved to the country- Things were a bit basic. Our house was bit old and no such thing as central heating. Unless you count the one fire that was in the kitchen that roasted you on one side, while the side away from the fire still had frost on it if you had just come in from outside.

Problem is that I would like to return to those days, but just take a bit of modern technology with me- Like the my mountain bike that does work, and the clothing to go with it. Then I could put up with the hardships that we used to have without having to ride the 12 miles to school on a bike that weighed 45lbs.

Edit- on the music side- I have to add Leadbelly and John Lee Hooker. The two influences that make me take up Music seriously when I was just about out of Acne.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found out the hard way how easy it is to tell you're older. All you have to do is rent a U-Haul truck and help your son and his girlfriend move into a second story apartment. By the end of the day, I knew how old 58 really is. Adventures in moving, my butt. bk

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    Edit- on the music side- I have to add Leadbelly and John Lee Hooker. The two influences that make me take up Music seriously when I was just about out of Acne.
    +1. Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    16 out of 25... just barely older than dirt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember gas at .39 per gallon in 1972. I used to buy 45 rpm records at the local corner store for .77 and a whole LP would cost about 2.99 I believe.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was growing up I didn't know you could buy a car that ran. I thought you had to put a transmission or a rear end or something in them. I didn't realize until I finished college that you could buy a car and just drive it off.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast