Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Expereriences at cycling conventions?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 09-13-06, 01:01 PM

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

IFMA (the acronym remains inscrutable) is a cycling convention of manufacturers, tourism bureaus promoting cycling and roller sports. Started today and opens to the public Sat & Sun this wk.

The German homepage is cooler: https://www.ifma-cologne.de/
than the English page to show something of the lineup.

Exhibit halls are just across the Rhine from the Dom...

The list of exhibitors is conspicuously absent many American vendors or representatives. A quick glance through 4 or 5 alphabetically-listed vendor lists seem to show primarily German, some other European and a strong representation by Chinese and other Asian companies, tourism agencies, industrial representatives.

[Yes, I realize there is another 'global' cycling convention in Las Vegas sometime around now. No, I haven't looked at the Vegas show's list of exhibitors for a comparison of exhibitors' country-of-origin but it would be an interesting question to pursue.]

My curiosity is piqued and I'll be there early Saturday a.m. on the 1st day it is open to the public. Will report back soon.

How many of you have been to a cycling convention?
Old 09-14-06, 10:29 PM
Cathedral City, CA

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've been to the last 3 Taipei Bicycle Expositions (I would have to look up the official name). This is a Major Major show in the bicycling world. It even includes the final criterium stage of the Tour de Taiwan. I get in on a free industry pass, although my company is not specifically in the bike industry. However, there could be some openings if they chose to persue it. Anyway, it's a fun experience. I've been working in Taiwan since the beginning of 2004, so it is just a weekend jaunt for me. This particular show is a Who's Who of the bike industry: Taiwanese, US, Canada, Japan, Italy, and others are represented. However, this is structured as a Trade Show. Therefore, you can't buy anything. It is strictly geared for industry folks.

You mentioned Las Vegas, which would be InterBike. As far as I know, you have to represent or be affiliated with a bona fide cycling business. It could be bike manufacturer, parts manufacturer, press or retailer. But, you can't just walk in off the street. Do a search for their web site...
Old 09-14-06, 11:27 PM

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yea, the entry fee is 8 euro (a little over 10 bucks) so it should not be jammed with folks - I'm looking forward to it since the head wrench/owner of my Bonn LBS (Velo-City) is helping to work the Haase Bike booth so I'll actually be able to see someone I know.

InterBike was the one I couldn't remember but also didn't realize you had to havve an industry entre to attend. That will never happen since I'd hate to ruin a wonderful hobby/avocation by getting serious about all that!

As a landscape architect/land planner, I'm particularly interested in the booths featuring tourism agencies advertising bike tours. Will try to pick up as many good bike maps of the world as I can find. The German state agencies are really pushing cycling tourism and that doesn't work unless there are long-term commitments by state/local/industry folks to create bikeable places to live & visit.
Old 09-15-06, 12:25 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Hard to believe, I know, but the American bike industry doesn't rate highly in the scheme of things in Europe... largely because the American bike industry still has a lot to learn about utility bicycling and bike design. A glance over bicycles in Holland and you can see why.
Old 09-15-06, 12:59 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
Hard to believe, I know, but the American bike industry doesn't rate highly in the scheme of things in Europe... largely because the American bike industry still has a lot to learn about utility bicycling and bike design. A glance over bicycles in Holland and you can see why.
Don't know about Europe, but the UK has a few Bike shows open to the Public. Main exhibitors are the UK retailers, with a good showing from the bike and and accessory dealers/manufacturers. There are a few UK manufacturers but our sport is basically US led. All the Big US manufacturers are there and most of the UK ones. Very few European concerns though, and although you say the US has a lot to learn about Utility bikes, Why need they bother? The dutch style of bike may be good quality but in general they are heavy and not what the public want. They prefer to stick to the Road type bikes or the "new" Form of Mountain bikes. Hybrids will be there but most of the shows are frequented by sports riders that do not want a 40lb bike fitted with fenders, racks, lights and a bell.

Sorry about the generalisation of a Utility bike- But the UK is very similar to the US on the Biking scene. Web site as below but probably similar to your shows.

https://www.cycleshow.co.uk/page.cfm/...=m/goSection=1

Spike Milligan
Old 09-15-06, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I was a guest of a friend, who doesn't live near me, but is a LBS owner, at the Las Vagas one last year. It was interesting, not unlike other trade association shows, however, the product was something I actually cared about! Not sure, however, I'd go again. I'm eager to hear your report concerning your experience.
Old 09-15-06, 05:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
interbike starts a week from wednesday in las vegas. i've attended the last 3 years, must say it's an event i look forward to all year.
Old 09-15-06, 08:59 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dharleyd
interbike starts a week from wednesday in las vegas. i've attended the last 3 years, must say it's an event i look forward to all year.
I would actually like to attend. How difficult is it to get in? I used to attend the Consumer Electronics Show which was also NOT open to the public. I had business cards printed up that indicated I was in the business and had no problem talking my way in. But that was long ago when business cards were less easy to print off from any PC/inkjet.
Old 09-17-06, 09:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IFMA Report

Spent about 4 hours wandering the halls of IFMA today: good crowd - better than I would have expected considering it was 6 euros entry ticket. I'll just recount a few things I saw:

1) first set of booths were promoting cycling tourism in Northrhein-Westphalia, Saarland, the Mosel, Sardinia, cycling the Po River in northern Italy, Majorca, southwestern Spain. Most were tourist bureau types with lots of colorful brochures - only one company leading tours & their booth was crowded. Now to convince my best wife that we should do credit-card cycling of Majorca or Sardinia...

2) IFMA Showhall: there were 3 halls but I only found 2 of them. Attached photos show some sense of the place

3) Retro C-dale: Cannondale had some wonderful 'retro look' Urban bikes with Brooks saddles & handlebars

4) Hase Tagun: This is their 2-wheeler USS off-road bike. Hase bikes had a big booth and were next to a track where folks could take them for a spin - the line was too long & I was completely intimidated to actually get on one myself. This I regret now but oh, well.

5) Rock hop & Bike Comp: between the two big halls were 3 obstacle courses that had international competitors (looked teenaged to me) jumping their bikes up & down & across the pipes & stones you see pictured. Saw small-wheeled SS & 26" freewheel & several diff kinds of bikes ridden.

And of course there were Bratwurst & beer...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IFMA Retro C'dale.JPG (85.5 KB, 5 views)
IFMA Showhall.JPG (94.7 KB, 4 views)
IFMA Bike Comp.JPG (84.5 KB, 3 views)
IFMA Hase Tagun.JPG (97.7 KB, 5 views)
IFMA Rock hop.JPG (81.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 09-17-06, 09:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also saw Alex Moulton, Brompton & Dahon folders, HP Velo, many recumbents, many tandems, LOTS of carbon bikes, many many road bikes but an equal number of what we Americans would call commuter bikes.

Also a section of 2 8' high halfpipes that had a squad of teenaged boys swooping about but I never saw a flip or many real acrobatics. Probably too much liability.

Rohloff had a big booth with all their hubs on display. A few displays had prices on their bikes but most were not necessarily for sale. Many free posters but few of the plastic gimme trinkets that characterize most of the exhibit halls that I've been to in the states.

All in all, more bikes than I've ever seen in one place: after a couple of hours they no longer registered individually so caught the train home. On my train was an elderly couple with a big bag: I asked them what they had & he proudly answered that he'd bought a magnesium folding bike but I didn't get a chance to see it because my stop came up.