Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Show us your best shifters

I have heard that there are some newer types on the market but, IMHO, they don't get any better than this:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Superbe Pro are very pretty shifters. Another good looking pair were the Simplex retro-shifters that had the same polished look and a sculpted cutout where the fingertips were placed when shifting.

Today, my favorites are DuraAce bar end shifters. Besides looking good, they are faster shifting, can make multiple gear shifts, and more precise than many brifters and no problems with chain rub on a triple front derailleur. Then again, I've had bar ends off and on for 25 years and my old-fartness may be showing.

Dennis
    Last edited by Trsnrtr; 09-17-06 at 11:58 AM.
    Dennis T

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a good one....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carpe who?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
    Another good looking pair were the Simplex retro-shifters that had the same polished look and a sculpted cutout where the fingertips were placed when shifting.
    Graceful, smooth, light, enduring........my much used Mavic-Simplex retrofrictions. (And Superbe Pro brakes...also old stuff that still works well.) It's nice to enjoy a variety of component styles.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, CrossChain, those are the ones that I used to use with all of my Campy SR stuff. Man, I miss some of those bikes that I used to have...

Dennis
    Dennis T

My Bikes
    2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbait
    I have heard that there are some newer types on the market but, IMHO, they don't get any better than this:

Were mine once that shiny?

While they were nice, the bits at the other end of the cable are the "real deal". Suntour Cyclone dr's were the best deal ever. They shifted WAY better than the Campy NR's and SR's at a small fraction of the cost. And they are nearly indestructable. I preferred them to the Suntour Superbe/Pro line. While they didn't have the "bling" factor going for them when they were new, I also didn't have to overshift and then back off when shifting like my "Campy and Campy only" road brothers. They still work great on my 20+ year old bike after HUGE mileage. Ditto for my Suntour Superbe Pro pedals. They are the BEST PEDALS EVER! If they still made shoes/cleats for the old style "quill" pedals I would have moved my Superbe Pro pedals onto my everyday road bike in a heartbeat. Instead I carefully meter my time on my old bike because I know that when the shoes/cleats go I'm not going to spend the mega-$'s to get correct period replacements. There are sources of NOS cleats for them, but the cleats now cost WAY more than I paid for the shoes originally! Campy wins for hubs, though. Well maintained Campy Record hubs only get better with age.
    I'm the world's forgotten boy. The one who's searchin', searchin' to destroy.

My Bikes
    1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mollusk
    Were mine once that shiny?

While they were nice, the bits at the other end of the cable are the "real deal". Suntour Cyclone dr's were the best deal ever. They shifted WAY better than the Campy NR's and SR's at a small fraction of the cost. And they are nearly indestructable. I preferred them to the Suntour Superbe/Pro line...............
    You mean like these?

Yes, they are smooth.

My Bikes
    Still have a few left!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have these early Shimano 600 levers on my Motobecane Grand Jubile. Seem fitting on a French bike. Don
    visit my homebuilding blog: www.monoplanar.blogspot.com

Older I get, Better I was velonomad's Avatar
    My Bikes
    a bunch of them, most made by me, a couple made by others
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fear not the Dremel and buffing wheel