Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Alameda, CA, an island city on the edge of San Francisco Bay
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Teaching an old dog new tricks

After 50 years of bike riding, I took a class today on how to ride a bicycle!

And it was great! I just can't believe how much I learned, and how much it increased my confidence levels. I had no idea how much there was to learn, how much I hadn't learned simply by experience.

We learned techniques for cornering, braking, riding a steady line, riding safely in tight groups, and more.

Maybe you guys know all this stuff, but my recommendation: if you ever have a chance to take a class like this, swallow your pride and go for it.

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you do a PM (personal message) to I-Like-To-Bike and tell him this? He doesn't believe that bike classes are of any use whatsoever, and rails against people who promote them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle
    After 50 years of bike riding, I took a class today on how to ride a bicycle!

And it was great! I just can't believe how much I learned, and how much it increased my confidence levels. I had no idea how much there was to learn, how much I hadn't learned simply by experience.

We learned techniques for cornering, braking, riding a steady line, riding safely in tight groups, and more.

Maybe you guys know all this stuff, but my recommendation: if you ever have a chance to take a class like this, swallow your pride and go for it.
    Who taught the class? Sounds interesting.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    '79 Schwinn Varsity
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The day I stop learning new things is the day they close the casket cover.....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Much learning there is. - Yoda

Learning is what most adults will do for a living in the 21st century. - Perelman.

Good for you backinthesaddle!
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLB58
    The day I stop learning new things is the day they close the casket cover.....
    +1 WITH EMPHASIS
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Trucker, Giant Cypress DX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle
    My wife and I took the LAB Road 1 class in June and found both the classroom and riding sessions extremely useful. They were tremdous confidence builders.

Alameda, CA, an island city on the edge of San Francisco Bay
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    Who taught the class? Sounds interesting.
    Class was local (San Francisco Bay Area) taught by an ex-racer / cycling coach in conjunction with one of the local bike clubs.

I suspect other large metroplitan areas with active cycling communities might be sponsoring similar classes.