User Tag List

My Bikes
    Trek Pilot 1.2, Specialized Sirius
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two Firsts Today

While riding out to my "marshall" spot on the MS Bike Tour Down To the Sound, I had two firsts for me:

1. I got hit by a deer (no, I didn't hit the deer, the deer hit me)

2. I hit a squirrel (fortunately just ran over its tail).

The deer came out of some deep underbrush near a nature preserve. It stood there in the road and I swerved to avoid it. I was well clear of it but as I passed it suddenly just came right across and jumped the bike. One of its feet hit my rear wheel. I don't know how I stayed upright, but I did. The deer appeared to be uninjured as it ran away.

The squirrel came off a telephone pole and darted right in front of me while I was doing about 20 on a downhill. No time to react or swerve. Fortunately, I only ran over the tip of its tail with the front wheel and missed it with the back. It continued across the road, so I have to hope that it was uninjured.

Banned
    My Bikes
    rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! The deer jumped over you or just the rear wheel? Glad you and the animals were unharmed. I'm sure the deer and squirrel are completely fine.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoa!!! Were you able to keep wearing your bike shorts????
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jp173
    2. I hit a squirrel (fortunately just ran over its tail).
    Dogs don't scare me when I ride..........

Squirrels do.............

Cause their SPASTIC........

see attachment
    Attached Images Attached Images
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I once had a deer come out of the brush and plow into the fender of my truck... but on a bike....jimminy!!
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

My Bikes
    2 many
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you're OK.

The deer and the squirrel are now discussing this on the Wild Animal Forum.

Thread title....... "Stupid Humans!"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bikes
    2007 Specialized Sirrus Comp, 1988 Diamond Back Ascent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been knocked off my bike a couple of years ago when 4 deer came out of the brush next to the road about a mile from home. I dodged the first two, but the third deer glanced off my front wheel and down I went. The last deer was so surprised it stopped and tried to decide what to do for a few seconds before bouncing acrose the road. I was going so slow the only harm was to my pride -- gives new meaning to close encounters of the third kind.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
    but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --
    WOW!!! What a ride!"

My Bikes
    Easy Racers EZ-1 and Lightning Thunderbolt Recumbent Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see both occurences in my mind,
    but boy, wouldn't video have been amazing?

But it is indelibly imprinted in your brain
    for a lifetime memory, so that is the coolest!
    Ned Goudy, Glendora, CA USA
    Lightning Thunderbolt, Easy Racer EZ1, Rhoades Car
    http://www.rhoadescar.com/4w1p-j.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coloradopenguin
    I've been knocked off my bike a couple of years ago when 4 deer came out of the brush next to the road about a mile from home. I dodged the first two, but the third deer glanced off my front wheel and down I went.
    And I'd always heard it was the 2nd deer you had to watch out for Guess I know now to keep looking for more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Baron

see attachment
    OUCH! Did you keep the tail as a trophy?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the exclusive "I've been assaulted by wildlife" club. I've also been hit by a deer (not the other way around). I'm always amazed by their jumping ability. I've seen deer standing less than two feet from a four foot fence and clear it without a running start. Incredibly agile and yet clueless creatures (when it comes to vehicles). Glad you weren't hurt.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88
    Welcome to the exclusive "I've been assaulted by wildlife" club. I've also been hit by a deer (not the other way around). I'm always amazed by their jumping ability. I've seen deer standing less than two feet from a four foot fence and clear it without a running start. Incredibly agile and yet clueless creatures (when it comes to vehicles). Glad you weren't hurt.
    Ever notice how they will first put their nose to the fence, to judge its height? They do it just like a high jumper at a track meet. (former deer hunter)
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

My Bikes
    Douglas Precision Ti
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monoborracho
    Ever notice how they will first put their nose to the fence, to judge its height? They do it just like a high jumper at a track meet. (former deer hunter)
    Even the deer misjudge sometimes. I watched a deer jump over a board fence that was only about 48" high. She misjusdged the height and her rear hooves hit the top board, breaking it loose from the posts.
    Wag more, bark less

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88
    I had a dog Like that. Could clear a 4fence without even thinking about it- Raised the fence with wire to 6' and it could not jump it but instaed charged at the new gate I had put in and straight through it- Either shows my poor carpentry skills of 25 years ago or the determination of the dog.

Got rid of the dog very shortly afterwards.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    Whoa!!! Were you able to keep wearing your bike shorts????
    First you say it, then you do it!
    "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." --General George S. Patton

Best regards,

Duhhuh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Concerning deer and jumping:

Some friends and I went to visit a vineyard that was on top of a hill. To protect it the owner built a 20 foot fence around it with a triple barbed wire on top. As we approached you could see deer calmly jumping over the fence on the far side. The buck waited to be last, leaped up and deliberately stood all four feet on the top barbed wire strand perfectly balanced. He looked down to where he wanted to land and jumped down and walked off.

Some protection that fence provided.

In another case I was driving down the 6 lane wide highway and I saw a deer on the edge of the road. I slammed on my brakes and another driver simply ignored the deer. It came bounding out on the road and I was slowed enough that I was well clear. The other driver ZOOMED past me and luckily the deer jumped over his car only shattering his windshield with its hooves.

The only thing dumber than a deer is California drivers.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Giant Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like the Seinfeld episode where George hit a squirrel and some girl made him pay to take it to the vet. "We have a deal with the squirrels", George said, or something like that.

I have seen a deer in a pretty urban area in Jupiter, Florida, on a dawn time ride about 2 weeks ago. We have some deer in that area near a big state park, but this was out near I-95 in an area they have just started developing.

Squirrels do scare me because they are unpredictable.

As far as getting hit, the only thing that hit me was a cat. I was in a residential neighborhood, in the road, going by some bushes. A pickup passed me and the cat darted out of the bushes, smack into my front wheel. I didn't fall and the cat ran away.

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Baron

see attachment
    Holy Cow! OOPS meant Holy Squirrel!

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your lucky day despite it all.