Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Top Tube............

With all other things being equal, would a shorter top tube give me a more upright riding position?

I started riding on a 54cm frame and have moved the components to a 56cm frame and feel comfortable and have plenty of room under the shorts. More recently I rented a 56cm Trek Pilot and had even more room but thought the shorter top tube on a 54cm might put me more upright.

I ask because I am considering buying yet another frame, a Trek Pilot, for Christmas.

Any thoughts?

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ceteris paribus....yes.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Top Tube.......

This appears to be a forum with well read posters. Thanks.

Older I get, Better I was velonomad's Avatar
    My Bikes
    a bunch of them, most made by me, a couple made by others
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since the 56 cm frame seems to fit better, why not just put on a shorter stem to compensate for the longer top tube? You can also raise the handle bars to get more upright.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember, with an (especially slacker) angled head tube, as you go higher with your stem, your bars come in closer, too. Super short, or super extended stem extensions can sometimes affect a bike's handling. Better to let a shorter top tube do some of the shortening work. Also remember that the more upright you go, the more weight goes to your butt while at the same time your beefy butt muscles are less engaged in propelling the bike.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LastPlace

I ask because I am considering buying yet another frame, a Trek Pilot, for Christmas.

Any thoughts?
    I'm interested in hearing more about your just buying the Pilot frame. Going to the Trek site, I notice that 07 5.2 framesets are going for about $1700. How would you set up your new frame?
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Top Tube.........

CrossChain,

Not sure what you mean by 'How would you set up your new frame?' I had planned to simply move the components from my Soma frame to the Pilot.........if I can scrape up the money. I'm thinking I would buy a 54cm Pilot SPA to make for a shorter top tube and a more upright riding position.

I rented a Trek Pilot a couple of weeks ago and thought it was a great ride, especially in light of my age/injury issues.

Sorry for not replying sooner but my work takes me out of town a bit.
    Last edited by LastPlace; 09-23-06 at 01:59 PM.

My Bikes
    LeMond - Gunnar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With all other things being equal, would a shorter top tube give me a more upright riding position?
    No, it would give you a "broken frame".... Assuming the other frame members/angles were adjusted for a change of top tubes you could end up with a longer wheel-base bicycle with a very forward center of gravity.

You win the "Richard Cranium" Post Of The Month Award for managing to take a normal subject like bicycle-fit and present it in such an abs-backwords, totally "Richard Cranium format." Thanks to all the others, you make the Internet proud.

My Bikes
    Trek 2000, Catrike, Gitane tandem, no-name mountain bike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Avoid a shorter top tube.
    Avoid a longer top tube.
    Avoid a standard top tube.

Any one of these could be hazardous to your riding comfort.
    Don't buy a bike that might have a shorter top tube because you think it would give you a better riding position.
    Instead, get a bike that is properly fitted to your body.
    Too many people suppose that if they can straddle the top tube, the bike is the right size.
    However, your upper torso may be long or short; your arms may be long or short, etc.
    All of these factors need to be determined.
    Go to a good bike shop and ask to be fitted for a bike.
    If they say something like, "Well, you're 6 foot tall, so you should have a 57 cm bike," then walk/run out of that shop.
    Get to a shop that will do a thorough sizing.
    Any other kind of bike is no better than "tolerable," but not comfortable.
    "Weary with toil, I haste me to my bed,
    The dear repose for limbs with travel tired;
    But then begins a journey in my head,
    To work my mind, when body's work's expired"
    -- Shakespeare Sonnet XXVII
    Click here to visit Motorera.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't you wish there were an absolute frame fitting system to which all subscribed and which all agreed was the Ultimate Truth? There are many fitting systems, many points of view on what's comfortable and efficient. There are some general truths, but often they are "adjusted" for eccentric or particular needs. Certainly wise to look at some different fit systems and try some different adjustments. Zeroing in fit is, after some education in what others think, still an individual's set of choices for what works for oneself and one's body, needs, and style of riding.

I believe the OP just queried if all things were equal..........and simply wanted an answer to that question...not a lecture. And I admit to offering as many lectures as anybody else here.

*** Rumors that R. Cranium may be a human are only partially true.
    Last edited by CrossChain; 09-23-06 at 05:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Top Tube............

CrossChain....

Thanks. If I can afford a new frame I will check out the sizing more carefully. My 54cm Trek 1200 fit well enough and my new 56cm Soma also fits well and you were correct in that I was asking a theoretical question.

As for lectures, I probably need a lot more, along with more riding time.

My Bikes
    Cannondale R600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LastPlace
    Any thoughts?
    Generally speaking, yes. But there are lots of "other things" to consider, e.g., head tube length, head tube and seat tube angles, stem length and rise. All of these can also contribute to upright-ness. Do a test ride.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Top Tube..........

Jazzy,

Thanks for the input. As I said, this all depends on scraping up 2k for the Trek Pilot frame. If I can do that, it will just be deciding betweek the 54cm and the 56cm. The 56cm I rode was fine and helped me understand why everybody; well almost everybody, raves about carbon. Thanks again.