Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Bikes
    2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBLover
    You wouldn't happen to be on a beta blocker (for high blood pressure or post-heart attack or thelike), would you? If you are, you won't get near your MHR.
    I know you were not asking me, but I am on a beta blocker and use a HRM. My CTS method maximum is 148 and the highest it has ever spiked on a hill climb is 153. I ride in the 122 to 129 range for an effective workout. The other thing I do is watch that my heartrate drops to normal within ten minutes after a ride. I find this method works well for me despite all the articles saying it shouldn't.
    Born Again Bicyclist! I found my Faith.

Giant Cypress, GF Wahoo, Trek 7.3FX, Schwinn Sprint

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeseflavor
    MHR I've hit so far is 172. I can average 150 on a club ride (an hour and a half hammerfest), and on a normal ride with Linda, I'll average 20 beats lower. Not sure about my max, as I've never really tested for it. I felt fine when I hit that 172.
    I've had that same experience, high numbers, felt good, lots of power, not seeing stars or talking the bees. I'm 53, my max should be in the 170 range, by most formulas. I'd believe I'm in not such great aerobic shape, but I wouldn't believe that of an audaxer like Cheeseflavor!

Ken

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nermal
    I've just started reading up on the subject, and it doesn't look like MHR has anything to do with fitness. That is, as fitness inproves, the max remains essentially the same, with increased power for any given rate. It does seem that the recovery rate would be a better indicator of fitness, and this is a feature I'll be looking for.

So, yes, I'm discussing the subject and have yet to get a hrm. Suggestions welcome, of course.
    That recovery rate is a better indicator of my fitness at least. When people start talking about their resting heart rate or the max they can get to- I turn off. For me- I know my resting heart rate and I know my moving about heart rate. If I started getting a vast difference on that figure- then I would start to get worried. I like to ride in the upper reaches of my comfort Zone- Breathing hard- Legs just pushing and at a cadence that I am comfortable with. That to me is around 145/150 but it takes some training on the ride to get to that and is normally after about a 30 minute gradual warm- up. I do climb most hills at 150 and I will get to 165 by the end of the hill, and I know I have reached that. Then there are the occasions when I am feeling good and I am chasing someone up the hill and I will get to 172 to show the whipper snappers that I can still chase them up the hill. From there though it is definitely slow down or get off the bike time.

My degree of fitness has nothing to do with how high my HR can get. If I am feeling right then I can keep my 145 for the majority of the ride. If I am not then it is lower. Getting to my max is not important- Doing that 50 mile ride with comfort is. Then recovery time. If I have been pushing for over two hours at 140+ then I am fit and I will drop to around 110 to 120 within 2 minutes. If I have not been pushing as hard- then I will drop to the same HR within the same time. It is the next stage down that I am interested in. I normally stop for coffee and if I can get down to my walking about rate of 80 within 3 minutes, then I am fine. It it takes longer or will not drop below 90- Then I know the next bit of the ride is going to be hard- so Slow down or cut a bit of milage off the return journey.

Now on the monitor- I have several. The best one for me to use is the basic one. I know that all I want to know on a ride is my current H.R. I have an alarm on it that I set to 150- to let me know that I am at the end of my comfort zone, but I can turn that off if necessary. The all singing and dancing one has 4 buttons on it. It will tell me everything I want to know- Current HR,average HR, max HR on this exercise session- Time I have been within my "Zone" and it has the alarm. Only problem is that the digits are smaller and when the alarm goes off- Which button do I push without zeroing everything? Hate to say it but the basic one is all I want to know about.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123