I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, it's nearly that time...

You know what i mean of course. Nearly time to take that summer air out of the tires and replace it with winter air. I just hope that this year i don't wait until the last moment again. I can be such a procrastinator.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to laugh at this, because I was just thinking about my decision to not change the Time 'O Day on my bike computer last spring, and how I've been mentally adding an hour all summer long, and how in the not-too-distant future, my computer's time will be correct again without me having to turn the time back.

I knew that eventually someone would post an open-ended, somewhat vacuous thread that would allow me to work in my clever "daylight savings time end-around," and publicly gloat.

That time, it appears, is now...
    Last edited by Big Paulie; 09-18-06 at 01:18 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a few months, I'll be able to send you warm weather guys some real winter air for your tires.

I bought a car once with "Factory Air". Not wanting that smelly old factory air in my new tires, I quickly flattened all the tires and re-inflated with fresh "country air". Man, that was a lot of pumping with my old Silca floor pump.

My Bikes
    Vintage Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & an '83 Santana Tandem
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DG,

At least you don't have to add "antifreeze" to your San Diego "winter" air. Some of us, who must endure real winters, need to throughly winterize our bikes!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob
    Dreaming of Summertime in NH!

Visit my websites:
    FreeWheelSpa.com orpastorbobnlnh.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wore full fingered gloves for the first time this season this morning. Winter is coming.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas
    I wore full fingered gloves for the first time this season this morning. Winter is coming.

But not in S.E. Pennsylvania today! It's 78 degrees, and I'm leaving work early to go for a ride!
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Currently 91 with the low of 76 and the humidity is 43% Sweeet
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    You know what i mean of course. Nearly time to take that summer air out of the tires and replace it with winter air. I just hope that this year i don't wait until the last moment again. I can be such a procrastinator.
    All I had to do sunday was ride. Thanks heavens I had a patch kit for the second puncture and the air in both tyres on the MTB has been changed for the freshest that can be earnt from the top of our hills.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do any of you use an air purifier, humidifier or deodorant for the air you place in your tires?

I find it increases resistance to bumps and increases my speed.

I always humidify, purify and deodorize my air, especially when I am racing. I guess in some climates, you might need to dehumidify. Also, one of those ion machines does wonders.

This is a hard technique and requires you inflate your tires in a sealed room wherein the air has been properly prepared. One should not breathe during this process, as your exhaled air upsets the balance.
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Helium
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use hydrogen, since it's lighter than helium, and I can make my own through electrical generation.

I really hope I don't spring a leak around a smoker though, then I would have to rename my bicycle the Hindenburg.

Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

My Bikes
    Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    Do any of you use an air purifier, humidifier or deodorant for the air you place in your tires?
    I find it amazing that with all the hot air in here that some of you have to search for a more rarified gas to fill your tires with.

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, we had snow in the nearby mountains Friday and Saturday, and a really cold windy weekend. I am really not quite ready for winter yet. Plus due to the weather I started on my indoor trainer this weekend. I finally bought a rear wheel sensor and cadence computer, and that was really depressing too. i thought I had been spinning along in the 85 RPM range, well it turns out I was really in the high 60's. I tried upping my spin to 85 and it darn near killed me. So now I need to spend part of the winter working on my spin. And then my strength and speed. So despite riding a century this fall, I feel like I am in really crappy condition!

Bahhh Humbug!
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    All I had to do sunday was ride. Thanks heavens I had a patch kit for the second puncture and the air in both tyres on the MTB has been changed for the freshest that can be earnt from the top of our hills.

Reference the above two punctures. I always talc my tyres when fitting tubes---ALWAYS. Obviously out on the trail I do not carry talc. What I found though was that these two tubes, which were fitted about a year ago and do not have any patches on them, did not have any talc left on them. In fact one of the tubes was just sticking to the tyre.

So besides changing the air in the tube- retalc the tubes.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Darwin
    I use hydrogen, since it's lighter than helium, and I can make my own through electrical generation.

Fart gas for me! That way I can smell a slow leak...

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Paulie
    Fart gas for me! That way I can smell a slow leak...
    Why doesn't that surprise me?
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot to change my headlight fluid. Is this bad?
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

My Bikes
    2 many
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be sure to read the instructions if you are using directional air, and install it facing the right way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2manybikes
    Be sure to read the instructions if you are using directional air, and install it facing the right way.
    Now, does the hemisphere matter with directional gas? You know, like the water going down the drain the opposite way in Australia as the U.S.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Giant Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is this "winter" you people talk about? Is that when it gets down into the high50's at night and only up into the mid 70's in the daytime? Sounds like perfect south Florida biking weather to me.

My Bikes
    2 many
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Paulie
    Now, does the hemisphere matter with directional gas? You know, like the water going down the drain the opposite way in Australia as the U.S.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only ridden my black bike since Labor Day. It's so gauche to ride light colored bikes this time of year. Some people.
    Dennis T

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put close to 120 lbs in each of my 700x23 clinchers, and I have to air the tires every two or three days because the butyl tubes tend to lose a tiny bit of air each day (real rubber tubes lose A LOT of pressure each day). But has anyone who pressures their tires in this range ever noticed that the tires act like barometers? When it's sunny, you need to put in more air to top up the tires, since the good weather means you're in a high pressure area, so the tires require more internal pressure to resist ambient pressure. Conversely, on rainy days, when the atmospheric pressure is low, you don't need to pressurize the tires as much. Any physicists out there to set me straight?

- L.

one post at time
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know what i mean of course. Nearly time to take that summer air out of the tires and replace it with winter air.
    What on earth are you folks talking about?

Weather today was a balmy 31C and expecting the same for the rest of the week - BEEAAUUUTIFULLLLL! Finally I can put those arm and leg warmers away - those 15C winter rides were a killer

// kakman

in Sydney, Australia (where the tyres rotate whichever way you point them)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kakman
    What on earth are you folks talking about?

Weather today was a balmy 31C and expecting the same for the rest of the week - BEEAAUUUTIFULLLLL! Finally I can put those arm and leg warmers away - those 15C winter rides were a killer

OUCH! The only thing I hate more than winter is knowing it's summer somewhere else, and I can't get to that place.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast