User Tag List

My Bikes
    Raleigh Competition (old)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice for my first triathlon

I am going to do my first triathlon in 6 days. It is just a "sprint" -- 500m ocean swim, 15k bike and 5k run. I am 66 (but immature).

1. I have an old road bike with pretty old 700x25 tires. A puncture would ruin the race -- should I get new tires for the race? Which brand and type?

2. Any tips on tapering off my training this week?

3. Any warm up tips for the day of the race?

4. Do I need to eat and drink during a short race like this?

Larry

My Bikes
    Vintage Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & an '83 Santana Tandem
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Buy new kevlar belted tires and quality tubes.
    2. Don't kill yourself during the two days before. Do easy work outs.
    3. Stretch and move around. Then stand in the water before the race to become conditioned to the temp.
    4. Eat a good breakfast at least an hour before and hydrate during the race. Take in fluids along the course as supplied and drink during your transitions.

I participated in my first sprint triathlon this summer. I didn't worry about my time. I just wanted to have fun and complete the race. Those were my goals. Enjoy yourself!
    Bob
    Dreaming of Summertime in NH!

Visit my websites:
    FreeWheelSpa.com orpastorbobnlnh.com

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
    I participated in my first sprint triathlon this summer. I didn't worry about my time. I just wanted to have fun and complete the race. Those were my goals. Enjoy yourself!
    Have no idea how to attempt a triathlon as I sink after 50 yards- the knees give up after about a mile and I'd probably start out too fast on the bike to compensate.

Set your own goals- but Pastorbobb's sound pretty good to me.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Cannondale R600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife is a tri-athlete. If the event is only a week away, I'd be leery of changing too much at this point. You could get new tires/tubes, but If you've been rolling on those tires for a while, how likely do you think it is that they're going to puncture now? (I don't know the answer - it's just something I would ask myself). Tires/tubes aren't expensive, but if you go that route, make sure that you can test them out for a few days so that you don't get any surprises on race day.

My wife was a runner. She swam some, and biked very little (that's how I got into it - she wanted me to help her with the bike). She won her first race for her age group, but the biggest issue was doing an open water swim with a big crowd. She focused on swimming a lot this season and won her age group in the swim -- but went slower on the bike and the run. She also used a wet suit this season, and spent a lot of time in practicing getting out of it for the transition. I'm sure you'll learn a ton from your first experience.

In general, I don't think you'll need to eat, but I'd defintely reccomend trying to stay hydrated.

My Bikes
    Raleigh Competition (old)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Buy new kevlar belted tires and quality tubes.
    The Hutchinson Top Speed Road Tire is only $20. Is it a crummy tire? Are all the kevlar-belted tires similar or are some clearly stronger than others?

I didn't worry about my time. I just wanted to have fun and complete the race. Those were my goals. Enjoy yourself!
    That is just what I am planning to do -- whatever the time, it will be my personal best :-). I don't want to burn out, so plan to go easy on the bike to save myself for the run.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I thought I was 'brave' because I mountain bike at 59. Good luck, hope you have the outcome you are looking for. Show'em OLDER IS BETTER!
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

My Bikes
    Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My take:

Replace the tires.
    Shorten the length of your workouts this weekouts. Two days before the race, do a short but high intensity bike ride.
    If it's an open water swim, definitely get in the water before your wave and get used to it.
    Eat a good breakfast, and maybe 1 or 2 Gu packets on the bike. Drink a bottle at least, depending on the humidity.

And have fun! Good luck!
    Cyclists of the world, unite! You have nothing to lube but your chains!

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on doing your first TRI - Way to go.
    My $0.02.
    Don't change NOTHING.
    Eat a SMALL Brkfst 2 hrs before race. I eat Oatmeal + maybe part of a Banana. Drink WATER only till Race.
    Take a half bottle of water (on the bike) just in case. I doubt you'll need any. While running they usually have tables set up.
    Best thing to practice is TRANSISTION - have everything laid out and thought out.
    Race against NO ONE - take it at your own pace. Don't get caught up starting too fast. STEADY RHYTHM.

And best of all advice ENJOY IT - your one of the select few who have the courage to do this. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

My Bikes
    1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 55 and do tri's for fun.

Advice? Even in a sprint, there is plenty of race after the swim. Don't go "in debt" in the swim or first half of the bike. If you feel cocky, get after it in the run.

Be fully hydrated BEFORE the race. Drink a FULL bottle of water (or if you can stand them, a diluted sport drink) on the bike.

Like others said, if you change tires, do it several days before the race.

There's no need for you to 'taper' for this race. DO get plenty of rest a few days prior. If you do anything, not more than 10 minutes on each discipline well BELOW race pace three days prior. I think you could completely forego any exercise for 2 days prior.

Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW

Have FUN !!!!!!!!!

BTW

Have Fun !!!!!!!!

Tyson
    6' x 205 lbs. Semi-Clydesdale