Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Have you ever smoked or smoked and quit or do you smoke now?

Voters
194. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have never, ever smoked a cigarette.

40 20.62%
  • I smoked a few and then stopped

32 16.49%
  • I smoked several years and then stopped a few years ago

50 25.77%
  • I smoked many years and stopped recently

27 13.92%
  • I smoke now but am considering stopping.

9 4.64%
  • I smoke now and have tried to stop but I can't

7 3.61%
  • I smoke and do not plan to quit - ever

2 1.03%
  • Some other option

27 13.92%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mewkiss
    You left out "I smoked for many years but stopped long ago". That would be 13 years ago in my case. It still thrills me to be a non-smoker.
    I smoked for 30+ years and quit 10 yrs ago.I got a bad case of pnuemomia and not being able to breath scared the hell out of me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started smoking at 15 or so. It became a three pack a day habit and I would get angry and cut it back to one pack a day and it would build again. I saw nothing wrong with it despite watching my father suffer from emphasema. I tried to quit a million times at least and couldn't make it more than one day.

Finally some very kind people I was working with just sort of got the idea through to me that it was highly impolite to smoke around non-smokers. Of course I smoked all the more. But after I left that job I stopped smoking without a problem. All it really took was the will.

So I smoked heavily for 12 years before quiting. But I DREAMED about smoking for 10 years after I quit. Sometimes the dreams were so vivid that I'd wake up with the taste of smoke in my mouth! Slowly those too went away.

I've been smoke free for 34 years and counting.

Today the smell of smoke gags me and I can't imagine how I could ever have smoked.

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    didn't know there were ANY polls that showed who & how folks voted...at least not on BF...
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by centexwoody
    didn't know there were ANY polls that showed who & how folks voted...at least not on BF...
    yep there are.. on this one you just click on the totals and it gives you a breakout. The OP mentions it.

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, then, six of us are going to start our own thread about how to cycle & smoke - when we reach consensus, we'll report back to the virtuous former smokers what our decision is...
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

My Bikes
    Bachetta Agio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never smoked a cigarette. I watched my Father, Father-in-law, and Mother-in-law all die of smoking related illness. My kids watched the deterioration of our family too, yet my children smoke Whats up with that?
    As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
    Joshua 24:15

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I often wonder why people who "really" should know better continue to pursue destructive activities. Too complex for me to figure out. I do know that being young definitely gives you a feeling of invincibility or if not that, at least the feeling that you have plenty of time to mend your ways. Unfortunately as many of us have found out neither is the case. I admire those who have been able to throttle their addictions and truly understand how lucky the others are not to have addictive personalities.

My Bikes
    Douglas Precision Ti
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dauphin
    I often wonder why people who "really" should know better continue to pursue destructive activities. Too complex for me to figure out. I do know that being young definitely gives you a feeling of invincibility or if not that, at least the feeling that you have plenty of time to mend your ways. Unfortunately as many of us have found out neither is the case. I admire those who have been able to throttle their addictions and truly understand how lucky the others are not to have addictive personalities.
    I try not to be too judgemental of people who can't stop smoking since I can't stop eating too much.
    Wag more, bark less

My Bikes
    Orbea Orca, Rocky MT Cross, BMC Pro,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    started when i was 15, didnt smoke much, had to sneak around couldnt let parents fine out. got my first car and freedom at 16 smoked more. got out of highschool and moved on my own, smoked more. met my future wife. got married at 21, she asked me to quit and i had my last cig 15 mins before i walked to the alter. never smoked since, do puff a cigar now and then when camping, never inhale, id die. i'm not Clinton i really dont
    cigars and pipes dont seem to bother me, but get cig smoke near me and i cant stand it.

karl

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There must be some kind of genetic motivation to use tobacco. That's at least one explananion why some people are so attracted to it while other's aren't. (Like the children of non-smokers, for example.)

I wonder who was the first person to see a tobacco plant, harvest the leaves, let them dry for how ever many months, then roll them up, light them on fire, and inhale the smoke?

just over the next hill cruzMOKS's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox

Your screen name response will show.
    Where? On this poll and others I have not seen how others have voted.
    Enjoy the ride.
    Bianchi Volpe 2006; Fuji Tahoe 1990

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    click on the number of people who responded to a category over on the right and it will show you.

bobkat
    My Bikes
    Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smoked 8 years, then stopped 20 years ago!n Love the non smoking in public buildings now here in ND. Was in SD over the weekend and the smoke in gas stations, etc. hit me hard! Noticed it right away, and actually left a couple of them it was so bad.

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like many American males, I yielded to peer pressure back in high school. This was back in those scary days known as the early 70's, when we had to live with such backward things as rotary dial phones, and computer hard discs the approximate size of trash can lids.

Why I did this: Same reason as everyone else. To be "cool", to fit in, and because all the prettiest girls smoked. I think everyone here can agree that when you are a teenaged male, you have far more hormones than brain cells. Smokes were unbeliveably easy to get back then. No ID checks anywhere, no problem.

Despite my best efforts, I could not get the hang of smoking, and all it did was make me feel like I was going to puke.

You have to hand it to tobacco companies, they know how to market to kids and young adults. Males: Smoking will make you tough, a man to be respected. Females: There are two methods I've noticed. They either market such brands as Virginia Slims, as "stylish" and sexy, or they market Marlboros to Camaro-driving young females as a means to attract the aforementioned tough men.

Question: Some years back R.J. Reynolds was going to market a brand called "Dakota" to a demographic they referred to as "virile females". Apparently, this was the type of woman who was not college educated, worked an assembly line job, and spent her weekends at drag strips with the tough guys. Did they go ahead with this? I'm just nosy as to whether or not they pulled it off.

Edit: Thanks to the power of this good old internet, I just answered my own question. Have a look.
    Last edited by trackhub; 09-20-06 at 06:28 PM.
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been awhile.

I used to smoke about a carton of unfiltered Luckies a week but I quit when I was 18. That was 45 years ago.

I tried smooking a little grass in the late 60's or early 70's too, but I never really got into it. I didn't like the dry mouth feeling that it gave me. I'm pretty sure that the statute of limitations is up on my drug use. For that matter, the last time that I had so much as a beer was over 18 years ago.
    Last edited by Retro Grouch; 09-20-06 at 06:41 PM.

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, maybe I am not an exception there are others my age who never smoked. I tried it twice and never finished a single cigarette. No pipes or cigars either.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never smoked anything, legal or otherwise. Never saw the point of it. Unfortunately I've spent a lot of that discretionary income on Snickers bars and earned a membership to the clydesdale forum.
    '84 Trek 660 , '88 Trek 1500 ,'89 Trek 400 , '97 Trek 720 , '99 Trek 2200, '02 Trek 520

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My father died from a smoking and alcoholism induced heart attack at 54 years old. I'm sure his alcoholism had something to do with me never liking alcohol much, but somehow I never got the message on smoking. My smoker's cough was bad enough at 32 years old that I quit the cigarettes, but continued to smoke cigars and pipes. At 52, even the secondary smoke from the cigars and pipe had given me emphysema, and I quit. At 55, I've been off tobacco for three years and outlived my father already. It's amazing what a destructive side so many of us have.

My new crusade is improving my eating. I don't think eating badly is as bad as smoking, but it's pretty bad, and the fast pace lifestyle so many live these days makes it really difficult to eat well. Sheesh..........why on earth didn't I take this kind of care of my body 30 years ago? Ah, to be young and bulletproof again...... but, acting bulletproof when young has consequences later, huh?
    Last edited by Bud Bent; 09-20-06 at 08:09 PM.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You left out "I smoked for many years but stopped long ago". That would be 13 years ago in my case. It still thrills me to be a non-smoker.
    Add another one to this category. I started smoking around 1967, starting with Marlboros since that's what all the hard men smoked in my high school, finally ending up on Kools because that's what all the black dudes smoked. I was smoking a pack and a half a day. I quit when I started cycling in 1971. It wasn't difficult, one day I just stopped smoking; I considered it a test of my will, and my iron will overcame any physical dependency. This is why I have little respect for people who claim they can't stop. Cycling also helped. Riding hard, I could feel the air pounding down my windpipe the same way inhaling cigarette smoke would. If I didn't ride for three days, I'd feel like having a cigarette, so I made sure to ride just about every day. After a few years, all cravings disappeared.

A bit later, when I moved to Canada and went to Simon Fraser University, I would arrive in my classes early, collect all the ash trays, and throw them in the garbage. I was married at the time, and my wife and I were the first people I knew of who would not allow anyone to smoke inside our apartment (and later our house). We'd make smokers go out on the balcony. This was unheard of at that time (the mid-to-late 70's), when it was perfectly normal for people to light up inside other peoples' homes.

I still don't smoke, but it seems to me the pendulum has swung too far the other way. Sports teams aren't allowed to be sponsored by tobacco companies. Michael Schumacher and the Ferrari Formula 1 team are sponsored by Marlboro, but they aren't allowed to put Marlboro logos on the cars! I'd love to be sponsored by a big tobacco company; I figure they owe it to us to give us money to pursue healthy activities in order to make up for all the unhealthy stuff they sell. If the feeble-minded are taken in by the advertising, that's tough. There's a thang called "personal responsibility" that seems to frighten the politically correct.

Hell, I've even got Marlboro stickers on my bikes just to piss off PC types!

- L.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
    If the feeble-minded are taken in by the advertising, that's tough.
    I think the main issue with tobacco advertising bans is the influence on children. I don't think we can expect 12 year old boys to resist the marketing sophistication of tobacco companies. And, if an adult is "feeble minded" and chooses to smoke, it negatively impacts those who live in his or her home who are there through no choice of their own...meaning children.

My Bikes
    Giant OCR2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. I smoked from teenage years until my 50th birthday. It has now been over 14 years without a puff.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My neighbors across the street, in their late 20's or early 30's, both smoke and they have a toddler.

They bring the toddler out with them to the driveway in front of their garage, where they do their smoking. IMHO, they are teaching that baby to smoke. I guess it is not okay for the furniture in their living room to see them smoking, but it IS ok for the toddler to see them smoke.

Makes no sense to me.

My Bikes
    Schwinn MTB/Raleigh Marathon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pardon me for not being 50+ but, I quit on Monday...no joke. I'm 72+ hours w/o a cig. I gotta say...it feels good.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, 1/2 a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mwrobe1
    Pardon me for not being 50+ but, I quit on Monday...no joke. I'm 72+ hours w/o a cig. I gotta say...it feels good.
    Then you have an even better chance of making it to 50+!

Congratulations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I smoked 2 packs/day for nearly 20 years. Stopped 11 years ago. I couldn't go back to the stench, filth and chronic low grade ill health that heavy tobacco use produces. Furthermore, I seem in good shape - hey, I might even have gotten away with it.

One unexpected downside. I stopped through Nicotine gum. This is as addictive as hell and I still chew ALL DAY even now. The gum comes in blister packs with sharp edges. Bloody painful when stuffed down Lycra cycling shorts.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast